none
won't connect to wifi. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 with Windows 7 os. My laptop has had no problems connecting to wifi before. But I just moved and it won't connect to my new wifi. I know the password i'm typing in is correct because my phone was able to connect, as well as another computer. My laptop can recognize the network and it says the signal strength is excellent, but when I type in the password and press enter it quickly tells me it is unable to connect. Any help would be appreciated.
    Monday, October 28, 2013 3:33 AM

Answers

• It seems there is a security module compatibility issue with the Dell laptop. Probably, FIPS 140-2 standard (or any similar security standard) may have been present in the router which may not be supported by the Dell WLAN card. Additionally, you may see an error that the security module is not compatible.

To solve the issue, either the router has to replaced or the WLAN card in the Dell computer. But first, check with other WLAN access points (AP).

The following link may be helpful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIPS_140-2

Balaji Kundalam

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 4:15 AM

All replies

• Open device manager and scan for hardware changes and then update the drivers. Run devmgmt.msc to open device manager  

Thanks

Monday, October 28, 2013 6:26 AM
  • Well I went to that and updated my Wifi miniport adapter, but it says everything else is up to date. I tried to log on and I got the same result. As soon as I type my password in, it says unable to connect. Any ideas?
    Monday, October 28, 2013 7:14 PM
  • goto start -> type services.msc -> press enter. click yes if UAC prompts. look for the service WLAN AutoConfig. Make sure the service is started and is running and that the startup type is set to automatic.

Balaji Kundalam

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 4:33 AM
  • Hi,

There are so many possible factors that may causes connection problem.

Have you tried removing all your wireless network profiles stored, then try reconnecting to this one?

If not, follow the steps to have a try:

1.Start Network and Sharing Center.

2.In the Tasks pane, click Manage wireless networks.

3.Right-click the connection you want to delete, and then click Remove network.

4.In the Manage Wireless Networks - Warning dialog box, click OK.

If the method not work, I recommend you run the Network troubleshooter to see if the tool can help us diagnose and solve the problem.

Using the Network troubleshooter in Windows 7

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows7/using-the-network-troubleshooter-in-windows-7

If still not work, try the steps in the link as below.

Why can’t I connect to a network?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows7/cant-connect-to-a-network

Hope this helps,

Ada Liu

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 10:04 AM
  • that is running and the startup type is automatic. i've tried everything and nothing seems to be working. i called microsoft tech support and all they did was try to charge me 150 bucks to fix the problem. does anyone else have any specific ideas? i know this problem has to be able to be fixed without such a monetary expense.
    Tuesday, October 29, 2013 7:08 PM
  • Also, I think it is weird that only Apple products have been able to join the WiFi network. I have been successful in joining the network with a MacBook Pro, iPhone, and iPad, but I cannot connect with the Dell computer or my Wii. What would be the reason for this? 
    Tuesday, October 29, 2013 9:48 PM
  • It seems there is a security module compatibility issue with the Dell laptop. Probably, FIPS 140-2 standard (or any similar security standard) may have been present in the router which may not be supported by the Dell WLAN card. Additionally, you may see an error that the security module is not compatible.

To solve the issue, either the router has to replaced or the WLAN card in the Dell computer. But first, check with other WLAN access points (AP).

The following link may be helpful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIPS_140-2

Balaji Kundalam

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 4:15 AM
  • I've had a Dell Inspiron 1720 for about 7 years.  it has worked fine until about 2 years ago where the same problem would occur.  It would detect all wifi networks , but not be able to connect to any (i've tried at least 10).   sometimes disabling the driver and re-enabling through device manager , or a reboot temporarily fixes the problem, until the next cold boot.   I also have windows 8 in dual boot and that environment has the same problem

the card in my machine is a intel pro wireless 3945ABG.

Friday, June 13, 2014 11:52 AM