none
Windows Explorer - How to select the first item once we open the explorer? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In Windows Explorer - How to select the first item once we open the explorer using keyboard shortcut. I typically use downward arrow, it goes to the 2nd item in the list, then I again have to use upward arrow to go up.

Is there a shortcut to select the first item in the list using keyboard? This is not specific to Windows 7, it has been the behavior even in previous Windows OS versions.

Thanks,

Mallik

Friday, July 11, 2014 4:56 PM

Answers

• Opening a Microsoft Ticket is probably your best option. Unfortunately the change will not happen immediately and it will require multiple users to send in a ticket. I hope this ends up being resolved though.

Good luck Mallik

Also, don't forget to mark the post as answered so that it does not show up as unanswered to help others who search the forums.
    Monday, July 14, 2014 11:40 PM
  • This is the default setting in OS. I dont think this can be customized.

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Saturday, July 12, 2014 5:02 PM

All replies

• This is the default setting in OS. I dont think this can be customized.

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Saturday, July 12, 2014 5:02 PM
  • I will be really surprised if Microsoft does not know this issue. It is sad to see such apathy for usability from Microsoft. Whole billion+ Microsoft OS users have been going to 2nd item then moving up to select the first item. I guess we have to create ticket with Microsoft support itself to see what they got to say.

Thanks,

Mallik

Monday, July 14, 2014 5:02 PM
  • Opening a Microsoft Ticket is probably your best option. Unfortunately the change will not happen immediately and it will require multiple users to send in a ticket. I hope this ends up being resolved though.

Good luck Mallik

Also, don't forget to mark the post as answered so that it does not show up as unanswered to help others who search the forums.
    Monday, July 14, 2014 11:40 PM

Good luck Mallik

Agreed, MS wont change it easily. :)

Saturday, July 19, 2014 12:24 PM

Good luck Mallik

Agreed, MS wont change it easily. :)

Saturday, July 19, 2014 12:24 PM
  • Hi,

In Windows Explorer - How to select the first item once we open the explorer using keyboard shortcut. I typically use downward arrow, it goes to the 2nd item in the list, then I again have to use upward arrow to go up.

Is there a shortcut to select the first item in the list using keyboard? This is not specific to Windows 7, it has been the behavior even in previous Windows OS versions.

Thanks,

Mallik

Hi Mallik,

You can select the first item of a folder after opening Windows file explorer or entering a selected folder by simply pressing the space bar.

When selecting multiple files via Control/Shift + Arrow keys you can also deselect single items with the space bar after navigating to the respective item with Control + up/down Arrow keys while maintaining the group selection for example.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Thursday, October 10, 2019 10:41 PM