hyper v failed to enable replication hyper v cannot connect to replica server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I got an issue. I have two servers A and B(Both are not joined to Domain). Server A is primary server and Server B is replica Server and i have enabled replication from A to B successfully. After few days Primary server was due to some physical issue and servers are replicated to B and working well. Now we have repaired the A server and changed the OS and we want to move the VMs from Server B to Server A. I configured replication in Server A and B newly. Now Server B is primary and server is A Replica. But i am not able to enable replication. I am getting the above mentioned Error. I need to move VMs from Server B to Server A without any Down time.  Please find the below error log.

Hyper-V failed to enable replication for virtual machine 'IE-TEST-REP01': A security error occurred (0x00002F8F). (Virtual Machine ID 90408129-968B-41B6-BA05-9C99555E57CA)

Thanks

• Edited by don'zz Monday, August 25, 2014 11:53 AM
    Monday, August 25, 2014 11:52 AM

All replies

• Hi don'zz,

" Now we have repaired the A server and changed the OS and we want to move the VMs from Server B to Server A."

Hyper-v replica acts between hyper-v hosts .

As you mentioned the OS is "changed" , you may try to re-build VM replica to the new OS .

Please backup the current VM running on server B  then remove replica and re-enable hyper-v replica for that VM (the original VM in server A should be deleted ).

After that you can shutdown the VM on server B then execute " planned failover " .

Best Regards

Elton Ji

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 3:49 PM
  • Hi,

i have tried then i got the above mentioned issue.

Thanks

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 4:09 PM
  • I gather you had to rebuild Host A from scratch due to hardware issues. 

Was the old Host A properly removed from AD? You may have had a chance to remove it from the domain which will cleanup its AD objects, or it may have crashed and left AD objects behind. If it's the latter, and you rebuilt it with the same name and IP (new SID), and joined the domain, you'll need to remove all replication settings from both hosts A and B, verify clean AD and DNS (records relating to old host A and new host A, then setup replication from scratch.

Big picture note: consider using failover clustering to provide host redundancy if you can get shared storage. With Storage Spaces feature in Server 2012 R2 you can turn a Server into a full featured iSCSI or SMB3 SAN

Sam Boutros, Senior Consultant, Software Logic, KOP, PA http://superwidgets.wordpress.com (Please take a moment to Vote as Helpful and/or Mark as Answer, where applicable)

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 4:21 PM
  • Hello Sam,

it is not joined to domain. These are in workgroup. i am configuring certificate based replication 

Thanks

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 4:29 PM
  • if Host A has been rebuilt from scratch, replication has to be setup from scratch including certs.

You should consider using an AD domain. This allows you to do live migration whether or not you have shared storage..

Sam Boutros, Senior Consultant, Software Logic, KOP, PA http://superwidgets.wordpress.com (Please take a moment to Vote as Helpful and/or Mark as Answer, where applicable)

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 4:48 PM
  • I have created new certificates from the scratch. :-(

Thanks

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 5:53 PM
  • Hi don'zz,

What kind of certificate you are using  self-asign or CA ?

Please try to "apply" new certificate for both side then enable replica again .

Best Regards

Elton Ji

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 2:45 AM
  • HI,

I am using Self Singed certificate. I have followed the below site to enable replication.

http://jsmcomputers.biz/wp/?p=360

Thanks

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 5:34 AM