none
Error trying to move, delete, or rename some of my .MOV files. XP acks as if the files are in use by another person or program when they are not.

Question

• WIN XP HOME and PRO SP3 
    Issue with only a hand full of the .MOV files.
    I get these errors:
    "Error moving file or folder. Cannot move myfile.MOV: It is being used by another person or program.  Close any programs that might be using the file and try again."

"Error deleting file or folder. Cannot delete myfile.MOV: It is being used by another person or program.  Close any programs that might be using the file and try again."

"..... Cannot rename ....."

No other programs are open.
    I have checked file Properties and all look normal to me.
    The file can be played and also copied to new location normaly.
    The file can not be moved, deleted or renamed.
    I now have several copys of several very large .MOV files eating up almost half of the HDD.
    How can I find out what the issue is and resolve it?
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 11:41 AM

Answers

• I tried many programs trying to find one that would delete or rename these files and finally found one.  I used ZoomBrowser EX supplied with my Canon Digital Video Camcorder. It was the only thing I found after 6 month of having this issue. 
    Brad W
    • Marked as answer by bradwyle Thursday, May 06, 2010 11:57 AM
    Thursday, May 06, 2010 11:57 AM

All replies

• I tried many programs trying to find one that would delete or rename these files and finally found one.  I used ZoomBrowser EX supplied with my Canon Digital Video Camcorder. It was the only thing I found after 6 month of having this issue. 
    Brad W
    • Marked as answer by bradwyle Thursday, May 06, 2010 11:57 AM
    Thursday, May 06, 2010 11:57 AM
  • the other optioin here is to see if either media player or quick time is running at startup by default these can and will grab any files they can open and hold them in  static memory for faster access  so jsut go into msconfig and use the startup tab to remove them formthe auto start function and then reboot it hsould hten allow you to do what you wnat with them

we can all laearn together to be better than we are
    Sunday, May 09, 2010 10:46 AM