RemoteFX disables Remote Desktop Session Host Multi-user Login_ RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    Environment
    - Windows Server 2016 TP5 as Hyper-V Host
    - Nvidia Tesla M60
    - Windows Server 2016 TP5 as Hyper-V VM, Gen 2

I'm running a "Windows Server 2016 TP5" VM inside a "Windows Server 2016 TP5" Hyper-V Host.
    Remote Desktop Session Host is enabled in the VM. Multi-user login works fine.

After I add the RemoteFX 3D Video Adapter to the VM the multi-user login in the RDSH is disabled. The 2nd user login will log out the already logged in user. The RemoteFX Adapter is detected in the VM and seems to work.

The plan was to provide RDSH and support some Adobe Applications (Photoshop + others) with GPU support for multiple users.
    Is this supposed to work?
    Would Discrete Device Assignment make a difference?

regards
    Manfred

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 7:57 AM

Answers

• Hi,

According to comment section from this blog below:

RemoteFX vGPU Updates in Windows Server Next

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/rds/2014/11/05/remotefx-vgpu-updates-in-windows-server-next/

“This is something we are looking at keenly. At the moment, however, support is limited to single user RDSH (desktop only). We're still investigating multi-user desktop and remoteapp.”

It seems to me that the product team is aware of this limitation and is currently investigating on it, it might take some more time to get it fixed.

Sorry about the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding and support!

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by magriiiii Monday, May 23, 2016 6:29 AM
    Friday, May 20, 2016 9:25 AM

All replies

• Hi, I think you have to install windows 10 virtual workstations for each user instead of RDS
    Wednesday, May 18, 2016 6:43 PM
  • I have a similar setup.
    Windows Server 2016 TP5 Hyper-V Host
    Nvidia K5200
    Windows Server 2016 TP5 Guest

The servers are part of a RDS Session based deployment.

Everything seems to be fine until I add the RemoteFX Adapter. Manageability starts flashing red in server manager and the server loses RDS management, it gets stuck in an infinite refreshing loop. Also RemoteApps stops working.

I also get the following events:
    10016 Error Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM
    10154 Warning Microsoft-Windows Remote Management Removing the RemoteFX adapter all goes back to normal. 

Thursday, May 19, 2016 7:15 AM
  • Hi,

According to comment section from this blog below:

RemoteFX vGPU Updates in Windows Server Next

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/rds/2014/11/05/remotefx-vgpu-updates-in-windows-server-next/

“This is something we are looking at keenly. At the moment, however, support is limited to single user RDSH (desktop only). We're still investigating multi-user desktop and remoteapp.”

It seems to me that the product team is aware of this limitation and is currently investigating on it, it might take some more time to get it fixed.

Sorry about the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding and support!

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by magriiiii Monday, May 23, 2016 6:29 AM
    Friday, May 20, 2016 9:25 AM
  • Thank you for the hint.

It would be great the get an official statement on this topic. As it is implemented now RDSH makes not much sense in comination with RemoteFX.

Monday, May 23, 2016 6:31 AM
  • Any update on this? We have the exact same problem. I don't understand, we've seen this working on different Microsoft events.

This issue was posted here in May, so that's the "TP5-era". We're far beyond that, so has this issue been resolved?

As soon as we disable RemoteFX, everybody can login to our RDSH server at the same time. When we enable RemoteFX again for our RDSH VM, the first logged on user receives a warning when a second user wants to login and he has to click OK to disconnects his session.

Friday, January 6, 2017 12:50 PM
  • ... same issue here with a W2K16 host/guest combination and enabled RemoteFX inside the guest OS, based on NVidia Tesla M2070Q. Any further info about this issue would be highly appreciated.
    Tuesday, February 7, 2017 9:57 AM
  • Same issue here - i guess the RemoteFX is designed for VDI setups and not session host.. despite i actually think most companies use session host setups :-/
    Thursday, February 16, 2017 9:16 PM
  • Hi

Is a fix planned soon to use vGPU in RDSH 2016 ?

Best Regards

Monday, April 10, 2017 7:30 AM
  • we have exactly the same Problems... we're using  Windows Server 2016 with Hyper-V and a Nvidia Quadro K620.
    Thursday, April 13, 2017 8:39 AM
  • we have exactly the same Problems... we're using  Windows Server 2016 with Hyper-V and a Nvidia  GRID K2
    Thursday, April 20, 2017 7:12 PM
  • any news on this ??? 

I have a 2012 production env working fine and now my new test bed for migtating, makes absolutely no sense !!!

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 10:19 AM
  • Any news about solving this issue ??
    Friday, September 22, 2017 6:56 AM
  • It seems this bug is still not fixed in Windows 2016 (version 1607).

Are you still investigating this issue ?

This is a very big bug !!!

Please could we have an update ?

Thursday, November 2, 2017 3:51 PM
  • Can anyone please update on this?

Is RemoteFX really only to be used as a VDI solution where the client is Windows 7,8, 10?

Monday, May 14, 2018 8:37 PM