none
CD-DVD drive can not read/write disks after Win XP SP3 upgrade

Question

• After SP3 upgrade (XP prof. engl.) the drive can not read/write disks any more (un-known file system). Driver un- and re-install does'nt help. Nero un-installing as well not. Device manager reports proper working. Device is starting and searching, but gives up after approx. 1 minute. HW: Dell Inspiron 6400, Pioneer DVD-RW DR-K17Y. No special driver available on Dell's driver disk, nor on homepage. I suppose, it runs normally with the generic Windows drivers.

Sunday, June 22, 2008 7:54 PM

Answers

•  jokra wrote:

After SP3 upgrade (XP prof. engl.) the drive can not read/write disks any more (un-known file system). Driver un- and re-install does'nt help. Nero un-installing as well not. Device manager reports proper working. Device is starting and searching, but gives up after approx. 1 minute. HW: Dell Inspiron 6400, Pioneer DVD-RW DR-K17Y. No special driver available on Dell's driver disk, nor on homepage. I suppose, it runs normally with the generic Windows drivers.

That's similar to what I saw, you may have to reset the filters.  Try this:

In Device Manager, delete both drives and close it.

Now delete the Upper and Lower Filters to force XP to redetect the drives on reboot:

a. Click on Start --> Run --> and type in 'regedit' followed by the enter key

b. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or
    clicking the "+" next to it.)

c. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key

d. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key

e. Expand the "Control" Key

f. Expand the "Class" Key

g. Look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:
    {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

h. Highlight this key

i. On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"

j. Exit the registry

Reboot.

I don't remember why I also saved this info, but it's also in my notes and it may also help:

You should see a LowerFilters and a LowerFilters.bak. If you don't see these then this fix will probably not work for you.

You need to rename the LowerFiters.bak and UpperFilters.bak to LowerFilters and UpperFilters respectively.

What I did was rename LowerFilters to LowerFilters.now and the LowerFilters.bak to LowerFilters. The data value of the renamed LowerFilters should be PxHelp20 Pfc.

You should do the same thing for the UpperFilters. The data value of the renamed UpperFilters should be GEARaspiWDM.

Remember, I said after the installation and before the reboot my CD writer was detected. After the reboot it wasn't. I believe the during processing while rebooting the program saved the old value as the .Bak files and put in the new value. The new value it put in is what broke the detection.

What this does it put it as it was before the program installation changed it.

By just renaming the LowerFilters and UpperFilters you can easily reverse it if there's a problem.

Monday, June 23, 2008 10:03 AM

All replies

•  jokra wrote:

After SP3 upgrade (XP prof. engl.) the drive can not read/write disks any more (un-known file system). Driver un- and re-install does'nt help. Nero un-installing as well not. Device manager reports proper working. Device is starting and searching, but gives up after approx. 1 minute. HW: Dell Inspiron 6400, Pioneer DVD-RW DR-K17Y. No special driver available on Dell's driver disk, nor on homepage. I suppose, it runs normally with the generic Windows drivers.

That's similar to what I saw, you may have to reset the filters.  Try this:

In Device Manager, delete both drives and close it.

Now delete the Upper and Lower Filters to force XP to redetect the drives on reboot:

a. Click on Start --> Run --> and type in 'regedit' followed by the enter key

b. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or
    clicking the "+" next to it.)

c. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key

d. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key

e. Expand the "Control" Key

f. Expand the "Class" Key

g. Look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:
    {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

h. Highlight this key

i. On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"

j. Exit the registry

Reboot.

I don't remember why I also saved this info, but it's also in my notes and it may also help:

You should see a LowerFilters and a LowerFilters.bak. If you don't see these then this fix will probably not work for you.

You need to rename the LowerFiters.bak and UpperFilters.bak to LowerFilters and UpperFilters respectively.

What I did was rename LowerFilters to LowerFilters.now and the LowerFilters.bak to LowerFilters. The data value of the renamed LowerFilters should be PxHelp20 Pfc.

You should do the same thing for the UpperFilters. The data value of the renamed UpperFilters should be GEARaspiWDM.

Remember, I said after the installation and before the reboot my CD writer was detected. After the reboot it wasn't. I believe the during processing while rebooting the program saved the old value as the .Bak files and put in the new value. The new value it put in is what broke the detection.

What this does it put it as it was before the program installation changed it.

By just renaming the LowerFilters and UpperFilters you can easily reverse it if there's a problem.

Monday, June 23, 2008 10:03 AM
  • Clint, you're a lifesaver! I've been going nuts trying to figure this out. Packet writing with Roxio works, but native Windows writing just says "unknown file system."

This worked fine before SP3.

Monday, June 23, 2008 4:00 PM
  • Good.  If it helped, please mark the post as the answer.

Many times XP's Native burning program conflicts with 3rd-party software like Roxio or Nero.  Sometimes you have to disable the IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service under Services, and/or right click the drive's icon under My Computer, > Properties, and don't allow recording on the drive under the "Recording" tab.

You can toggle these areas back and forth from enabled (manual)/disabled for the Service, and checked/unchecked for the check box, and sometimes you can get lucky and both Native & 3rd Party will work.  Roxio should not be running all the time, set any Services for it to Manual, and run MSCONFIG and uncheck all the Roxio entries there (DCD, ECDC, whatever).  Then just execute them when you need them.

On my PC, I have Roxio ECDC 6 and it works fine along with the XP Native burning function. (Asus flashed to a Pioneer 111L).  I have the IMAPI Service set to Manual, and the box under the "Recording" tab checked for the drive.  Also nothing is ever running in the background with regards to either the Native Service, or with Roxio.  If either one is running, it can conflict with the other.  Like if you have something with Roxio running, the Native burning program "gets confused" and vice-versa.

Monday, June 23, 2008 4:33 PM
  • Unfortunately, it didn't work. Disabling the filters just disabled Roxio. (Roxio 8, in my case.)

I'll try toggling the IMAPI service and/or the recording tab.

Monday, June 23, 2008 10:46 PM
  •  Supierce wrote:

Unfortunately, it didn't work. Disabling the filters just disabled Roxio. (Roxio 8, in my case.)

I'll try toggling the IMAPI service and/or the recording tab.

That doesn't make any sense.  The filters should have been recreated.  You say you disabled the filters, did you try and just delete those entries after removing the burner(s) from the Device Manager?  This is what mine shows now for that area, it could be a little different on yours due to versions:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    "Class"="CDROM"
    @="DVD/CD-ROM drives"
    "EnumPropPages32"="MmSys.Cpl,MediaPropPageProvider"
    "Installer32"="storprop.dll,DvdClassInstaller"
    "SilentInstall"="1"
    "NoInstallClass"="1"
    "TroubleShooter-0"="hcp://help/tshoot/tsdrive.htm"
    "Icon"="-51"
    "UpperFilters"=hex(7):43,00,64,00,72,00,61,00,6c,00,77,00,32,00,6b,00,00,00,70,\
      00,77,00,64,00,5f,00,32,00,6b,00,00,00,00,00

"LowerFilters"=hex(7):43,00,64,00,72,00,34,00,5f,00,78,00,70,00,00,00,00,00

The hex values after both *Filters mean Cdr4_xp and

Cdralw2k
    pwd_2k

...respectively.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 10:02 AM
  •  jokra wrote:

This KB article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060 talks about your problem.
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008 1:32 PM
  • I'd seen that KB article before. Unfortunately, deleting the upper and lower filters doesn't solve it in my case. It just renders my DVD burner completely unable to write either in Roxio 8 or in Windows native mode. Uninstalling and reinstalling Roxio doesn't restore those entries. Neither does uninstalling and reinstalling my DVD drive.

Restoring the upper and lower filters from a backup lets Roxio work fine. Windows native burning capability now refuses to recognize there's even a disk in the drive, even though Roxio reads/writes to it just fine.

As I mentioned, this just started with SP3.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 4:09 AM
  •  Supierce wrote:

I'd seen that KB article before. Unfortunately, deleting the upper and lower filters doesn't solve it in my case.

Yeah that's the same thing I put in my post above.

It just renders my DVD burner completely unable to write either in Roxio 8 or in Windows native mode. Uninstalling and reinstalling Roxio doesn't restore those entries. Neither does uninstalling and reinstalling my DVD drive.

Restoring the upper and lower filters from a backup lets Roxio work fine. Windows native burning capability now refuses to recognize there's even a disk in the drive, even though Roxio reads/writes to it just fine.

As I mentioned, this just started with SP3.

You never said if you deleted/uninstalled the burner from the Device Manager first.  Have you tried looking for a firmware update for your drive?

It could be your version of Roxio just "doesn't like" the XP Native burning on SP3.  That's the basic main difference between the two of us.  (Again, I'm using v6).  I have v8 but I didn't like it, I liked v6 much more, but I may end up having the same problem you have since if I want dual-layer capability I'm going to have to use v8.

Is there any particular reason you need the Native XP recording?  DCD does the exact same thing, even better because with it you can delete files from a disk but on XP's Native 'ware you can't.  I have a shortcut to DCD on my Quick Launch toolbar and I just click it when I want to drag-to-disk.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 11:21 AM
  • I have a similar problem caused by installing SP3.  DVD writer and Roxio 6 was working fine before installing SP3.
    After installing SP3 the DVD drive can not be found by the driver, reporting error 31 in device manager.
    I deleted the upperfilters and lowerfilters registry keys and the drive can be seen under Windows again, however once I reinstall Roxio 6 again it will not run.  It says unable to initalize the API.
    We use a standard Windows XP image on all 1500 computers and the problem persists even after re-imaing with the standard image.  We have several different hardware types and I note that the compter that has this fault has a different DVD drive to all the other hardware I have tested on.   PC is a HP dc7600.   Other 7600s we have don't have this problem but they have a different DVD drive installed, they must be a different batch from the factory.
    I am going to change the DVD drive with one from a different manufacturer and will post the results of the test.

Regards
    Philip
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008 1:45 PM
  • Clint, yes I've tried uninstalling the drive from the Device Manager. I've tried everything. Unfortunately, I do need native recording. I have to archive reports on DVD for my job and they have a policy against using packet-writing software. They want the disks in native format, so I have to solve this or go back to SP 2.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 2:10 PM
  • Philip did you try deleting the filters keys after reinstalling Roxio?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;270008

What has worked for me in this types of issues is uninstalling the optical drives from the DM, deleting the reg keys, then rebooting.

Do you have Daemon Tools installed?

Do a search for roxio "error 31" at any SE and see what you can find.  There's some info on that.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 2:24 PM
  •  Supierce wrote:

Clint, yes I've tried uninstalling the drive from the Device Manager. I've tried everything. Unfortunately, I do need native recording. I have to archive reports on DVD for my job and they have a policy against using packet-writing software. They want the disks in native format, so I have to solve this or go back to SP 2.

That policy doesn't make any sense, and when you packet write using DCD you can close the disk to be read in any PC without any burning software, which is essentially the same thing as the Native XP method (along with like I said the ability to delete files later on if needed).  As you probably know, you can also close the disk out permanently making it like a pre-pressed disk.

Can you try an earlier version of Roxio, like v6?

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 2:29 PM
  • Version 8 is all I have, and it works fine. Windows native writing is what doesn't work.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 4:27 PM
  • Wow, the forums are all screwed up again, check out that post ******elow, and this one will pro******a******ly ******e messed up.&n******sp; It's like that on other threads too.

&n******sp;

&n******sp;Supierce wrote:

Version 8 is all I have, and it works fine. Windows native writing&n******sp;is what doesn't work.

&n******sp;

I understand that, the reason I mentioned v6 is then you'd know for sure if v8 was the cause since v6 and XP's Native work together on my PC.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 5:23 PM
  • I'm going to try a new post instead of quoting....

Wow, the forums are all screwed up again, check out that post below, and this one will probably be messed up.  It's like that on other threads too.

Supierce wrote:

Version 8 is all I have, and it works fine. Windows native writing is what doesn't work.

I understand that, the reason I mentioned v6 is then you'd know for sure if v8 was the cause since v6 and XP's Native work together on my PC.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 5:26 PM
  • Apparently if we click "Quote" it's screwing up something.  What I did above was copy/paste the previous post and that worked ok.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 5:27 PM
  • Well, when I completely uninstall Roxio 8, Windows native burning still doesn't work, even after removing the filters and uninstalling/reinstalling the drive. That should show that Roxio 8 isn't the problem. Besides, it all worked fine before installing SP3.

This is so annoying. Without Roxio, SP3 fails to recognize there's even a disk in the drive. However, Roxio recognizes the disk and writes to it just fine. I've even tried three different brands of new, unwritten disks, just in case that might be the problem.

Thursday, June 26, 2008 9:08 PM
  •  Supierce wrote:

Well, when I completely uninstall Roxio 8, Windows native burning still doesn't work, even after removing the filters and uninstalling/reinstalling the drive. That should show that Roxio 8 isn't the problem. Besides, it all worked fine before installing SP3.

I realize it was fine on SP2, the point was to determine if it was Roxio 8 along with SP3 where the problem laid.

This is so annoying. Without Roxio, SP3 fails to recognize there's even a disk in the drive. However, Roxio recognizes the disk and writes to it just fine. I've even tried three different brands of new, unwritten disks, just in case that might be the problem.

Have you tried setting that IMAPI Service I mentioned to Automatic?  You still haven't said if you've looked for a firmware update for it.  This appears to be a proprietary Dell OEM Pioneer drive, but there could be an identical 'retail' stand alone version of it with a different model #, or the identical drive under the model # of whomever actually made it, or see if it's a re-badged/relabeled other model #, etc.  If you can find this out, there would probably be more firmware options.

Friday, June 27, 2008 12:29 PM
  • It's a NEC drive, and I do have the latest firmware. Setting the IMAPI service to Automatic doesn't help. The service starts, then stops a minute later. While it's running, nothing changes. WIndows still doesn't recognize there's a disk in the drive.

Actually, that's not quite true. Sometimes Windows does find the disk, but then says it has 0 bytes of writable space.

This has gone on too long. I think I have to go back to SP2 until someone figures this out.

Friday, June 27, 2008 3:06 PM
  • SP3 may just "not like" the drive, that's about all that's left.  Hey are you trying CD's or DVD's?  I don't think XP's native burning program works with DVD's.

Friday, June 27, 2008 6:03 PM
  • If so, that would definitely be the answer, though I'm pretty sure it worked before. I'll try a CD and see what happens.

Thanks!

Friday, June 27, 2008 7:02 PM
  • Thank you and all others for your efforts. But unfortunately, none of your tips cured the problem. First I tried the Guided Help from kb/314060. It reported no upper and lower filters installed. Checking manually with regedit confirmed, no x_filters nor x_filters.bak visible. All other stuff as Clint D describes.

Saturday, July 05, 2008 2:57 PM
  • Looks like your only options are:  remove SP3; or if you haven't, try another drive; or convince whomever you need to that you don't need the Native recording and can use Roxio's DCD.

Sunday, July 06, 2008 2:34 AM
  • After SP3 Install my two internal dvd writers both NEC, stopped recognizing dvdroms or blank dvdr's, but they still recognize cd's fine. They lost the ability to see dvdroms. I have a third NEC dvd writer in an external USB Enclosure and it still sees dvdroms and blank DVDR's. I just don't get it! I tried everything I can think of. I havn't done anything with the registry yet. But I did uninstall both internal dvd drives and rebooted and still the same. I have dvdrom games that I cannot play in the two internal NEC drives. Nero 7.5 will still write to blank dvdr's but just can't view their content. Win Xp just says "Please insert disc into drive". Any ideas on this situation? I wonder if microsoft is aware of this problem with SP3?

Monday, July 07, 2008 6:31 AM
  •  SirEdstr wrote:
    After SP3 Install my two internal dvd writers both NEC, stopped recognizing dvdroms or blank dvdr's, but they still recognize cd's fine. They lost the ability to see dvdroms. I have a third NEC dvd writer in an external USB Enclosure and it still sees dvdroms and blank DVDR's. I just don't get it! I tried everything I can think of. I havn't done anything with the registry yet. But I did uninstall both internal dvd drives and rebooted and still the same. I have dvdrom games that I cannot play in the two internal NEC drives. Nero 7.5 will still write to blank dvdr's but just can't view their content. Win Xp just says "Please insert disc into drive". 

Interesting they are also NEC.  I would suggest you two (or three, etc.), contact NEC and tell them about this.  Also maybe search around to see how many others have this problem.

Any ideas on this situation? I wonder if microsoft is aware of this problem with SP3?

That was covered earlier in this thread, that's all anyone has to offer at this time.  An MS employee was on this thread on the 1st page, but seems to have left.

Monday, July 07, 2008 9:47 AM
  • I have been emailing a tech from NEC discussing this issue. He has been collecting info from me. If he comes up with anything I'll post it.

Wednesday, July 09, 2008 12:33 AM
  • Just to give you a better idea, I'm having the same problems with the computer I'm working on. It's a Dell Inspiron 8200 with a fresh install of windows with SP3. The drive burns fantastically well using a variety of 3rd party programs, but refuses to do so using the windows built-in burning software. This is a brand new Toshiba TS-L462 dvd/cdrw drive. It was designed to not need third party drivers and there are as yet no firmware updates. So, that may show that it's not exclusive to NEC drives.

Friday, July 11, 2008 5:31 AM
  • I have a Dell Dimension 3000 with a HLDS GWA-4164B HH 16X DVD+/-RW that has stopped reading DVD's after a partial load of XP Service Pack 3 - the upgrade failed and appears to not have uninstalled all, the changes.

The DVD drive will still recognize CD's but will do nothing for a DVD
    Monday, July 21, 2008 3:03 AM
  • That reminds me, "Jokra" or "Supierce", you never said if you tried a CD.  Remember I said that I'm not sure if XP's Native recording works with DVD's.

Meoffg wrote:
    I have a Dell Dimension 3000 with a HLDS GWA-4164B HH 16X DVD+/-RW that has stopped reading DVD's after a partial load of XP Service Pack 3 - the upgrade failed and appears to not have uninstalled all, the changes.

The DVD drive will still recognize CD's but will do nothing for a DVD

Are you talking about the XP Native recording, or some other 3rd party software?

Have you tried installing SP3 again, then try uninstalling it again?

Monday, July 21, 2008 1:19 PM
  • I did this and it does not make a difference. What next?

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 12:25 AM
  •  chorn9926 wrote:

I did this and it does not make a difference. What next?

You did what?

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 6:43 AM
  •  

Clint, in my case I don't have any CD-ROMs here and need to get some when I get a chance. However, Microsoft has just today published a new IMAPI V2 update that may solve our problem. I can't do it today, but if someone wants to give it a try, it's at:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b5f726f1-4ace-455d-bad7-abc4dd2f147b&DisplayLang=en

There are Vista and x64 versions available too.

• Proposed as answer by theunbubba Tuesday, May 05, 2009 3:56 AM
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 3:12 PM
  •  Supierce wrote:

Clint, in my case I don't have any CD-ROMs here and need to get some when I get a chance.

I take it you mean CD's, as in the CDR/CDRW disks?  If so, maybe you can borrow one, it's bad to have to go out and buy some and find out doing so didn't help you any.  (CD-ROM's are Read Only Memory and cannot be altered).

However, Microsoft has just today published a new IMAPI V2 update that may solve our problem. I can't do it today, but if someone wants to give it a try, it's at:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b5f726f1-4ace-455d-bad7-abc4dd2f147b&DisplayLang=en

There are Vista and x64 versions available too.

I'm not having the problem, but that's good info.   I download it anyway and I'm sure it should help others.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 3:29 PM
  • To all that's been wondering, notice at that URL it says "......CD and DVD......", so obviously XP's Native 'ware will indeed work with DVD's, but, I don't know of that's one of the things this update allows, or if it could do this all along.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 3:35 PM
  • I also just noticed this: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=70446CF9-5B5A-4733-A9AF-E6AD6A2D96A1&displaylang=en .  Another update, but it's from 2002, and I don't know if that's supposed to be included on SP2 and SP3 or not.  It references this: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320174

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 3:41 PM
  • Clint - yes, I meant CD-R/RW. I need to get some. ...Or maybe I don't if this new update works.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 4:09 PM
  • Have you or anyone else tried those update(s) yet?

Thursday, July 24, 2008 4:55 AM
  • The question is: Now what the heck do we do?

Thursday, July 24, 2008 3:59 PM
  • That is definitely a good solution.

Thursday, July 24, 2008 4:08 PM
  • I have two DVD drives and neither works. I cannot watch dvds on this computer after installing SP3. No matter which DVD player I use, the fact is Windows is now not compatible DVD drives after installing SP3. What in the heck is the solution?

Thursday, July 24, 2008 4:59 PM
  • chorn9926, have you tried installing the IMAPIv2 update referred to above?

Do your DVD drives show up correctly in Device Manager?

Thursday, July 24, 2008 6:19 PM
  •  rdhw wrote:

chorn9926, have you tried installing the IMAPIv2 update referred to above?

Yes, and the other update I mentioned above as well.  But I still haven't found out if that's even needed on post SP1.

Friday, July 25, 2008 5:55 AM
  • I did what was suggested and nothing works. Either you folks have answers or you don't. What is the rest of the conversations happening for?

Does anyone have the answer as to fixing this awful screw up of Microsoft's XP SP3? Yes or No.

Friday, July 25, 2008 6:38 AM
  •  chorn9926 wrote:

I did what was suggested and nothing works. Either you folks have answers or you don't.

????  I don't recall anyone claiming they had all the answers.  You came here for help, it was given to you as best as we could.  If that is not sufficient then I suggest you b!tch to MS about it, not us.  "msft-jayaramk" is an MS employee that was on the first page of this thread, and his email address is given, but he's not replying to emails (at least not on other issues*).  I understand you're ticked off, but it's not out fault.  It could be worse, consider yourself lucky that you don't have the BSOD/reboot loop problem that so many others have* (including myself).

What is the rest of the conversations happening for?

What "rest of the conversation"?  This thread is about optical drive problems after installing SP3.

Does anyone have the answer as to fixing this awful screw up of Microsoft's XP SP3? Yes or No.

We gave you (and others) the accepted ways of fixing the problem that has worked for others, that's all anyone can do.  Obviously there is no "answer" that is the "ultimate fix".  Like I said, this is only one "screw-up" of many, and it could be much worse for you.

This is one issue that is not affecting me, so it's obvious that SP3 can work fine with optical drives, apparently depending on certain factors which is still anyone's guess.  I use an Asus DRW-1608P3S DVD-RW drive (flashed to a Pioneer 111L) and I don't have any problems with it.  I can drag files to a CD using the Native XP recording, but "Enable CD recording on this drive" has to be checked for its properties.

Friday, July 25, 2008 7:38 AM
  •  chorn9926 wrote:

I did what was suggested and nothing works. Either you folks have answers or you don't. What is the rest of the conversations happening for?

No, we don't have answers, just suggestions.  The problem you have clearly only affects a tiny minority of users who have installed SP3 so people who are trying to be helpful make suggestions and rely on you to follow-up and report back.

Have you tried uninstalling SP3 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249 ?  I would imagine the System Restore method is the best means of getting back to where you were before the install.  Coincidence means that a few people are going to experience problems about the time they install SP3 which are actually nothing to do with SP3.  Uninstalling SP3 and showing the problem goes away proves the causal link. 

Have you tried the Microsoft free telephone support for SP3 installation?  They might be able to help and you would at least have the opportunity to vent your frustration at a Microsoft employee.

Friday, July 25, 2008 7:49 AM
  •  chorn9926 wrote:

I did what was suggested and nothing works. Either you folks have answers or you don't. What is the rest of the conversations happening for?

I had the same problem as many of the others on this thread. Most of the fixes listed by these people are all geared to similar types of problems. the only difficulty is that these are all solutions to completely different problems that offer up the same resulting symptom. You shouldn't get angry at them for taking time out of their lives to help others out. I myself tried all the suggestions and none of them worked. However, when I reinstalled Windows and SP3 it worked just fine. Granted, it's alot more time consuming than getting a quick patch, but that's how life works sometimes. And besides, isn't doing something productive better for everyone than losing your temper while waiting for someone to solve the problem for you?

Friday, July 25, 2008 9:49 PM
  •  jokra wrote:

I also have the above mentioned problem.  XP SP3 did not install smoothly and had to be reinstalled.  After susscessful install of SP3, I needed to copy some files to a DVD+RW.  This was on a new Sony DRU-480A which worked great prior to install of SP3.  Windows reported nothing in the drive.  Properties showed only a blank disk.  I removed the drive in Device Manager and restarted.  No joy.  I am ready to removed SP3!  I spent 3 hours trying various things.  I appreciate the efforts you put out.  When I first worked on PCs people were more willing to help and would learn something, but now every one wants to be paid.  I downloaded drivers and a disk check program from Sony and the drive successfully tested all functions.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 12:17 AM
  •  jaj72 wrote:

I also have the above mentioned problem.  XP SP3 did not install smoothly and had to be reinstalled.  After susscessful install of SP3, I needed to copy some files to a DVD+RW.  This was on a new Sony DRU-480A which worked great prior to install of SP3.  Windows reported nothing in the drive.  Properties showed only a blank disk.  I removed the drive in Device Manager and restarted.  No joy.  I am ready to removed SP3!  I spent 3 hours trying various things.  I appreciate the efforts you put out.  When I first worked on PCs people were more willing to help and would learn something, but now every one wants to be paid.  I downloaded drivers and a disk check program from Sony and the drive successfully tested all functions.

Did you look over my posts (and others) on this thread that had suggestions?

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 12:15 PM
  •  jaj72 wrote:
    After susscessful install of SP3, I needed to copy some files to a DVD+RW.  This was on a new Sony DRU-480A which worked great prior to install of SP3.  Windows reported nothing in the drive.  Properties showed only a blank disk.

This can sometimes be caused by third-party burning software.  To obtain a list of software that might be causing the problem, open Device Manager, right-click on the CD/DVD drive, and select "Properties".  Click tab "Details".  In the drop-down menu, select these entries in turn:

Device Upper Filters

Device Lower Filters

Class Upper Filters

Class Lower Filters

For each of the above four, copy the data from the results box into a follow-up here. The names given will be quite obscure, but they should correspond to the name of a .SYS file in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS

You then need to navigate to each of those .SYS files in c:\windows\system32\drivers, right-click and choose "Properties", and find out which manufacturer or product each file belongs to.

Filter drivers belonging to anyone other than Microsoft or Roxio are suspect, and need checking out as a possible cause for this effect.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 12:42 PM
  • See my 2nd post on the first page for more details.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 12:49 PM
  • I'm hoping this thread isn't dead but I tried installing a slipstreamed SP3 XP install on pc. BTW, no problems with my SP2 install. I wasn't really paying attention at first but I noticed that certain types of CD/DVD's would not read after installing the OS. So I started fresh and installed the drivers one at a time and did a reboot between each install to be sure. Also to note, nothing to do with what ever type of burning software you use. I had this happen on a fresh install with no updates or 3rd party programs installed.

I installed the clean bloat free OS and reboot. No problems, it reads my Sony DVD/RW +R disk with backup data fine. I install chipset drivers and reboot, again reads the Sony backup data disk fine. Then.....I install latest video drivers from Nvidia for my 8800 GTS card, reboot and Waaa-Laaaa it won't read the disk anymore. I reinstalled the OS a second time in same order to verify problem and it did it again after the video driver install. Went ahead and finished the rest of the drivers and did a full windows update to get the pc caught up. Reboot and still wouldn't read the disk.

This only does this on SP3 install just FYI. I have installed my SP2 disk with same drivers and order, and full windows update, minus the SP3 and it reads fine. So....basic deduction says that it's SP3 with the issue. I'll also note that it will read my HP light scribe disks that have data on them fine. And I do use nero for all of my data writing. So maybe just something with that Sony brand, but it's the best type of disk I've used so I won't stop using it because of SP3. Hope I don't have to stick with SP2. Just thought this info might help other. Please post any similar troubles. Thanks.

Sunday, August 24, 2008 1:41 PM
  • Tyberis,  please answer the following:

1. Specifically, what version number of the NVIDIA drivers caused the failure to read DVDs?  Can you try other NVIDIA driver versions, from a different major version: for instance, if your problem was with 175.xx, try a version from the 177.xx series.

2. Please uninstall the Nero "InCD" application (using Add/Remove Programs), as this is known to have been problematic in the past.  Few people actually use InCD, even if they use Nero Burn.

3. Do you have iTunes installed?  If so, please check the date and version number of:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\GEARAspiWDM.sys

If it is quite old, please update iTunes to the latest version.

Sunday, August 24, 2008 2:19 PM
  • Again, this is on a clean install of XP SP3. No 3rd party software is installed yet. No nero no nothing. Just drivers and updates. I did think about a different video driver version and used both the may 13th and june 23rd version of the 175 nvidia drivers and same results. Also doing this exact same setup works fine with SP2 clean install with same drivers.

Possibly something in the video drivers but that is strange. To be honest. I have absolutely no issues with SP2. Just thought SP3 might fix some behind the scene issues. So I have no problem going back. Maybe this issue will be resolved soon and I can give SP3 another chance. Keep posting though if anyone finds a solution.

Sunday, August 24, 2008 2:25 PM
  •  tyberis wrote:
    I did think about a different video driver version and used both the may 13th and june 23rd version of the 175 nvidia drivers and same results.

Both the 175.xx drivers are known to be problematic (for instance, they prevent Remote Desktop working).  Please try a different major version of NVIDIA driver.

Sunday, August 24, 2008 2:58 PM
  • Ok, I'll try the last 169 version, that was one thing I didn't try, but several fixes in latest video driver from that version, so I'll see what it does but I'll prob still stick with SP2 if that is the reason.

Sunday, August 24, 2008 3:09 PM
  • I'm having a very similar issue. I recently upgraded to XP SP3 on my HP, and my DVD drive (HP 300n) stopped recognizing dvd's for the most part. It will recognize a blank DVD+R is inserted, but if I insert a DVD and try to play it using WinDVD or any other dvd playback program it doesn't read that there is a disc inserted.

After rebooting a few times it will occasionally recognize it for a short while but if I remove the disc and insert a different disc it will experience the same problems. I did a system restore to back before the SP3 was installed and it was still experiencing the issue. So I completed a system reformat (not sure if it got rid of everything because I still had some of my old programs/personal files but I did go through the HP system reformat process) and yet it is still experiencing issues on XP SP1.  

The drive itself is still there and when I usually insert a disc it would prompt me which program I wanted to open it with, yet it no longer does that. It just shows the disc icon beside the mouse cursor for about 30 seconds and then nothing happens. If anyone has any suggestions other than what has been posted above I would certainly appreciate it, as I have tried what was previously mentioned w/ no success.

Thank You

Thursday, August 28, 2008 2:28 PM
  • BTrainer82, you have said that the problem with the DVD-drive is still there after a re-format, and a re-installation, so the problem is nothing to do with Windows, or with SP3.  Your DVD drive is faulty: simply replace it.  Sometimes you can get a little more life out of them by using a commercial CD cleaner disk (with brushes on to clean the laser lens), but usually, once the laser starts to fade, it is time to replace the drive.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 3:13 PM
  • It stil reads a dvd occasionally (though it is after a few reboots, and when it does read it, it runs fine no skips etc) and will recognize a blank DVD+R with no problem. would it be faulty if it can read that there is a blank dvd there but not a dvd (movie)? It also has no problems reading a CD at all either. Would it be a problem w/ the lense if it can read the other CD format fine and recognize that there is a blank dvd there but not a dvd movie? I'm not extremely knowledgeable about the subject so i'm just trying to prevent purchasing another drive if the issue is in something else.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 3:32 PM
  • I've seen people have the problem even after removing SP3. Since you don't have a full OS installation CD, only the HP restore CD, it's not actually reformatting the drive and it could be leaving some SP3 components on the HD.  The only way to know for sure, is to try the drive in another PC, or reformat using a full OS CD.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 3:40 PM
  •  BTrainer82 wrote:

It stil reads a dvd occasionally (though it is after a few reboots) and will read a DVD+R with no problem.Wwould it be faulty if it can read that there is a blank dvd there but not a dvd (movie)? It also has no problems reading a CD at all. Would it be a problem w/ the lense if it can read the other CD format fine and recognize that there is a blank dvd there but not a dvd movie?

Yes, optical drives can do strange things when going bad.  They may be able to read one form of media just fine, but not another form of media.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 3:42 PM
  • Its showing XP Service Pack 1 under the properties on My Computer, if I upgrade to SP2, would that change any possible files left over from SP3, or is that kind of pointless?

Thanks for all of you guys help by the way, I appreciate it/

Thursday, August 28, 2008 4:00 PM
  •  BTrainer82 wrote:

Its showing XP Service Pack 1 under the properties on My Computer, if I upgrade to SP2, would that change any possible files left over from SP3, or is that kind of pointless?

Yeah it's probably kind of pointless because any possible SP3 files or registry entries would still be there as they are now (if they are there now).  Like I said the only way to be sure is to try the drive in another PC, or reformat using a full OS CD.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 4:24 PM
  • You could try booting from a live linux on a USB key, such as knoppix.  That way you could quickly tell if the drive works or not....
    Thursday, August 28, 2008 7:24 PM
  • I also encountered the same problem. I tried sir Clint Solution and ended to more serious problem. I deleted the wrong file under wrong folder name. I rebooted my PC, windows continues to load BUT my keyboard and mouse doesnt respond. I tried to format it and boot my system using Windows XP installation CD but the problem about read/write to CD wasnt resolved and it didnt boot. Luckily I have a Vista Ultimate installation DVD and installed it on my PC. Its working fine eventhough it's kinda slow because of poor harware. I was hoping that the problem about my DVD Writer not able to read/write CD was solve but unfortunately it wasnt. Any solution?

should I post this to vista section? I decided to post it here because the problem starts when Im on XP Service Pack 3. Tomorow i'll be buying a blank dvd and temporarily copy the XP Installation cd to DVD since I cant boot using cd. I need downgrade to XP since my computer cant run smoothly in Vista.

Wednesday, September 03, 2008 3:01 PM
  •  Peter v^_^ wrote:

I also encountered the same problem. I tried sir Clint Solution and ended to more serious problem. I deleted the wrong file under wrong folder name. I rebooted my PC, windows continues to load BUT my keyboard and mouse doesnt respond.

I don't know what file you were prompted to delete, which file was it, and which file did you end up deleting?

I tried to format it and boot my system using Windows XP installation CD but the problem about read/write to CD wasnt resolved and it didnt boot. Luckily I have a Vista Ultimate installation DVD and installed it on my PC. Its working fine eventhough it's kinda slow because of poor harware. I was hoping that the problem about my DVD Writer not able to read/write CD was solve but unfortunately it wasnt. Any solution?

Which SP?  SP1, 2 or 3?  If it was pre-SP3, then I think it's safe to assume there's something wrong with your drive.  Especially if it's still doing on Vista.

should I post this to vista section? I decided to post it here because the problem starts when Im on XP Service Pack 3. Tomorow i'll be buying a blank dvd and temporarily copy the XP Installation cd to DVD since I cant boot using cd. I need downgrade to XP since my computer cant run smoothly in Vista.

Yes, this forum is only for XP SP3, but I think it would be pointless to post it elsewhere since it sounds like the drive is bad.  The drive recognizes DVD's but not CD's?  If so, that's also a sign a drive is going bad.  Is this a FULL version OS CD or some "restore" CD?  It could matter if it's just a restore CD because it's not formatting and something is being "left behind" that could cause problems.  But, if it's still doing it on Vista, then that's not any OS problem.

Wednesday, September 03, 2008 3:36 PM
  •  Clint D wrote:

I don't know what file you were prompted to delete, which file was it, and which file did you end up deleting?

4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 the UpperFilters of this key. but I deleted all the UpperFilters under the Key with same format name. haha. dumb me.

Which SP?  SP1, 2 or 3?  If it was pre-SP3, then I think it's safe to assume there's something wrong with your drive.  Especially if it's still doing on Vista.

Windows XP Pro - SP2

Yes, this forum is only for XP SP3, but I think it would be pointless to post it elsewhere since it sounds like the drive is bad.  The drive recognizes DVD's but not CD's?  If so, that's also a sign a drive is going bad.  Is this a FULL version OS CD or some "restore" CD?  It could matter if it's just a restore CD because it's not formatting and something is being "left behind" that could cause problems.  But, if it's still doing it on Vista, then that's not any OS problem.

Why is it able to read and write to dvd's but not cd's? Its a full version CD.

Wednesday, September 03, 2008 4:33 PM
  •  Peter v^_^ wrote:

4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 the UpperFilters of this key. but I deleted all the UpperFilters under the Key with same format name. haha. dumb me.

Oh a key, (that's not a "file" )

Why is it able to read and write to dvd's but not cd's? Its a full version CD.

I don't know, that's just the way DVD drives act some times.  So from what all you said, reformatting with a full OS CD and to SP2, and it still happens on Vista, I think the drive is bad.  You may want to try and update the firmware.  If no new firmware is available, then try and just re-flash it again.

Wednesday, September 03, 2008 5:02 PM
  • no available firware upgrade as of now. uhmmm. re-flash? how can I flashed it?

Thursday, September 04, 2008 12:57 AM
  •  Peter v^_^ wrote:

no available firware upgrade as of now. uhmmm. re-flash? how can I flashed it?

Re-flash it the same way you would flash/upgrade it.  Now it may say something like "you already have this version", I don't know.  But it's worth a try.  If you don't know how to do this at all, that info would be at the manufacturer's website.  If they don't have any firmware downloads at their site, then you're outta luck.  But you may be able to find some 3rd-party firmware, just search for the drive's model # firmware and you may find some sites.

Thursday, September 04, 2008 6:58 AM
  • hi

i once had 1 of the with dvd burner soft ware" inter video " junk. try and update it it wants you to spend money type stuff. or you buy it and then they hit ya again for mp3 capabilities type ***.. any way. i did not like it and deleted it. it made my drives so they can not be seen etc.. i flipped out and reinstalled windows after reading all these same posts for that problem. i have a xp pro sp2 retail disc..

***  BUT TRY THIS>>>>  later. some 1 told me all i had to do was.turn off the computer. disconnect the opt drive/s from the mobo. ide or sata and power cables etc. [[disconnect from mobo connection.]] reboot the computer. let windows and all normal start programs run for a minute or 2 then turn it off. reconnect the drive connections and reboot. should fix it.. you should not have to make all them reg changes.. xp will do it its self if no drives are connected.it will clear the pool and reasign the drives when you reboot. or follow instructions but change switch to a different connection. switch the opt drive on ide1 to ide2  sata1 to sata2 and visversa.

i just got a oem sp3 version for a new build for my self..but im afraid to use it now..i read of so much trouble..and i too believe ms is not above sabotage and will wreck all this stuff so maybe we buy vista junk..and by the way corporate ms said it would not even use vista for its systems.and they are working hard on w7.. any way. if i dont use this oem sp3 i cant use my second system..this i type on is sp2.. each month updates i avoid sp3.. i play fps games 17 hours a day and make in game videos.im disabled retarded and build and maintain my own systems. and i had read you have no address bar with sp3.. im not sure i understand that. or read right but.i copy and paste addresses all the time to post links to my videos from youtube or where ever..that is the main reason i have not tried sp3.then i read of all this guff.. fact is. all worked perfect before sp3..so it is a sp3 problem period..so. i wish it was some way i could strip sp3 from this oem i have now. i cant have my system going crazy on me.. *** i might not use it at all now. it was free so.

i hope this helps some.. see ya.

by the way MICROSOFT.. gamers push all high end computer tech today.mother boards cpu's memory and video cards for sure.then all the soft ware or extras. you can ask most any gamer or xp user and most vista users..  they will say. you did not need vista.. we would have paid extra and will now if you give us xp pro users dx10. or 11 when it comes out.and let us have full use of 4gigs of ram with xp 32 bit. now you have w7 and when said it might be modular it sound real great and small profile etc.. well now we learn it is vista.. we are afraid.. and for the record most of us see vista as your me/2000 a loser... maybe w7 will be the next xp.. you need to remember we gamers push the whole high end part of the industry..baby junk can do multi media and office and surf the net. and how offten does sever hardware need to flip to the next new thing.. we the gamer push the limits and spend a lot. um some of us have older stuff too. so games that consider us. well. sell more game copies. remeber us. please.. we want a striped down os with the bare minimums to run. so we can get the best game performance possible. please remember us..

you should give us a sp4 a striped down xp pro version with dx10. strip out all the extra junk. and let 32bit use a full 4gigs of ram. maybe have a add on page we can add or delete when or what we want. wmp what ever.. see then.. we feel good. you are honorable and we buy more from you. because we want to .not because we are forced to. when we are gaming and playing on line. well. we are not multi tasking. all we need is our sound- game- great graphics and recorder program and our own firewall. we would like a switch to turn everything else off while gaming. and hardware like vid cards and sound cards need to stop installing and have 3 or 5 of more programs running in the back ground too..creative has ruined my audigy2 zs plat pro with all of its stupidness..and in hope we will buy new stuff from them.. bloated software and half of it dont work now. half of the go links- media source and none of the eax or eq gui's work anymore. but you see it in the program.. why it can not make its self media source 5 and delete the rest. and it can not all work right  is beyound me..and was on perpose they ruined it on perpose.. 

and fake anti cheat stuff like punk buster A and B .. i say A and B should not run 24/7 if we are not playing a game that uses it.it should turn its self off.. none of that stuff works..the hackers are cheating the games the very first day they are on line. so why play mp and then deal with a junk and spam and pervert windows world. if you really want to stop mp cheating.. find and freely post all hacks for all to use..then all is even again and goes back to skill. and severs will branch off that is cheat free.. or let things go as is.. folks are cheated or they do not buy or play on line any more. every1 knows lil is honest in any mp fps. more people use hacks then are honest and lie like ***. or stupid ones post the hack videos on youtube and prove we are being cheated.ha ha they gloat and brag and act so big.when they have been using hacks the whole time. most dial the stuff down so not to be noticed. most clans and most all on line stats are from cheats..all of it should be deleted closed down folks ban at the isp. lose rights to have a isp again.. or open it up..post all hack for all to use..all is honest again. if macs could play my games.. i would never mess with the windows world again.. remeber us..

Thursday, September 04, 2008 11:06 AM
  •  jokra wrote:

I have experienced this issue as well and having read all this without resolution have  posted a new separate post......with interest.....in guidance !   HELP NEEDED IN RESOLVING THIS  XP3 ISSUE  PLEASE

POST LOCATED HERE >

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3832503&SiteID=17
    Sunday, September 07, 2008 7:32 AM
  •  I Mean the computer does not even recognize the cd-dvd drive at start up. I have uninstalled the drive software and reinstalled it and it still does not recognize it. Need help

Saturday, September 13, 2008 12:11 AM
  • See my post above yours. then read issues of others suggested fixes in the 70 some threads. Some are valid if you have a software issue. My problem turned out not to be XP3 related issue....but a failed drive hardware issue in a new computer no less. As stated here http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3832503&SiteID=17 in forum.

If you are stating that the drive is not recognized in device manager nor Bios. I would suggest you unplug, open case and check wiring connectors to drive and restart. XP will automatically recognize as new hardware at start up if connection is made.

Saturday, September 13, 2008 7:23 AM
  • I backed up, three CD's but lost the third one and One care asks me to put in 3rd disc, but it backup 3rd disc.

Do you understand and do you have an answer?

Glenn Gossett

Tuesday, October 07, 2008 5:32 AM
  •  

I may have an answer it worked for me

I have two NEC ND4550-A drives both on seperate channels

the other day both drives stopped reading dvd's except one that was just burnt on my laptop

it read cd's fine and burnt dvd's fine

tried them in second pc and no joy so as they are 2 yr old pulled them apart and with a microscope checked the lenses and both had a film of dust on them cleaned them and hey presto both work great again

could be worth trying it may be the same fault it has the same symptoms

let us know if it works guys

Tuesday, October 07, 2008 9:32 PM
  • Quite frankly, I am so thankful that this is a problem that many people have encountered. I don't use my CD disk drive very often and I am so tender with it. I FINALLY got a digital camera. It comes with it's own software and I put it in only to discover my disk drive wasn't working. I am poor (the computer was a gift and the digital camera was through airmiles) and I figured that my disk drive was broken and so I would have to completely give up my computer because I could never afford a new one (or even pay for someone to come over and fix it). To find that it may not actually be my computer that is broken gives me hope. It is the wee hours of the morning. I've been trying for 4 hours to fix the problem and was on the verge of tears. just to know I'm not alone is a huge encouragement for me. I'm going to do a system restore and hope and pray it will work. Thanks to everyone who took the time to write and make suggestions.

Maidryn

Wednesday, October 08, 2008 8:44 AM
  • How did you solve the problem?

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 11:52 PM
  • Maidryn, just catching up on my mail today.  How is your issue now? If you still need assistance please reply.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 12:02 AM
  •  Cay F wrote:

How did you solve the problem?

In one case we found that the drivers for the drive were lost and required reinstallation.

In the other case we found it an oddity ..but removed the drive and attached it via usb cable to another machine to find the drive had failed, hence required replacement.

Hope this gives you some guidance

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 12:07 AM
  • Ok, I deleted the two drives.. and then i realised that  i couldn't find the lowerfilters and upperfilters anywhere!

Where are they supposed to be located?

If I can't find them afterwards --- what happens to the drives that i just deleted?

any help wouldd be greatly appreciated . thanks

Sunday, October 19, 2008 10:47 PM
  • Same here, with a variance. I can see my cd-drive in windows explorer, but cannot copy any file to it. Help me.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 3:02 PM
  • I am jumping on this thread as I believe I have a similar probem.

A while back, Windows update tried to install Sp3 and frooze in the middle of the install. I did a restore of the last Sp2 config, and went back to using SP2. The restore actually did not fix everything, as I found out that my cryptographics services directory had not been restored in the process, which was causing svchost to run all the time. After I fixed that, all went back to normal except that I found out shortly after that my DVD burner drive would not read any DVD or CD I created.

It can play commercial DVD fine as well as commercial audio CD, and burn CD and DVD fine, but if I put any disk I burned (even old one that used to work), When I insert the disk, I get the window to choose what I want to do, and then nothing. The disk appears in Mycomputer with it proper name, but it shows as empty, and I cannot open it to browse what is on it. If the disk has an autoplay on it, it will give an error when I double clickon it.

To eliminate drive problems, I tested these disk in another system and they work

I then moved my drive to another system, and it works perfectly there, so the drive is not in question.

Tried to install a drive from my other PC ( which works fine there), Once in my PC it shows the same problems (no reading of my created disks).

To finish eliminating HW problems in my PC, I changed the IDE cable, and tried on a different IDE channel, same thing.

At this point it seems clear that something is screwed up in XP.

I ran Autofix, and it does find an error with Autoplay V2 event when I insert one of my disk with an autoplay on it, but cannot fix it.

I tried creating a new user, same thing.

I tried deleting the upperfilters and lowerfilters, it did not fix the issue.

I tried in safe mode same problem.

XP can use any drive I put in to play commercial disks, or burn new ones, but cannot read disks that were home made in any drive .....

Any suggestion is more than Welcome

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 5:31 PM
  • OK, This is getting crazier.

I put in a Data DVD I created in the drive, and as usual, I cannot open the drive from MyComputer. MyComputer shows the DVD name, but it says it is empty and does nothing when I try to open it.

Now I Share the Drive, Then go to My Network Places (on the same machine), select my system, and double click on the shared DVD drive, and it opens fine I can see and access my files !

So basically from the same machine, XP is able to access my DVD via the network shared drive, but nor from MyComputer.

Anyone any idea ?

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 12:29 AM
  • Ok given the above, I found a workaround. Apparently the problem is with the drive letter associated with the DVD drive (DSmile

If I go to disk management and set it to something else (GSmile then the drive works fine. As soon as I associate the drive to the letter D: it does not open my disks anymore.

Anyone knows what can create that problem ?

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 5:46 PM
  • Scrambler, if this works, you're a lifesaver! I'll try it tonight when I get home!

Edit: Unfortunately, it didn't work for me. I can write to CDs but not to DVDs. I was able to write to DVDs just fine before installing SP3.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 8:25 PM
  • This forum has been really helpful- thank you all for your input. It seems this sp3 affects everyone a little differently. Had the same cd/dvd burning issues after sp3 installation on a new HP desktop; the only thing that worked after re-installing XP was replacing the drive. Now, I've discovered the same issues on my own trusty dell ( NEC DVD +RW ND-3530A)

In my case, (after sp3 installation) native burning disappeared but 3rd party software (CD Burner XP) burning worked. The drive would recognize and play any discs. I removed sp3. Still wasn't able to burn in windows. But I discovered in windows explorer, if I right-click on a file and select "send to cd drive", I am able to burn that file to a cd. (I still can't burn directly if I use the "copy" command.) I don't know if this will work for everyone, but I thought I would share this info. I know how frustrating this is, so maybe this will also work for someone else.   

Wednesday, November 05, 2008 9:18 PM
  • still no  e or d drive

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 4:23 AM
  • i have same problem, i had vista on my hp pavillion dv6000 blah laptop. the dvd rom stopped reading disks i had burnt one day and its royally cheesed me off for a year.wont even burn disks says power caliberation error. but i can read offiicial dvds and cdroms.its so irratating that i installed xp over my restore point partition (since vista wouldnt let me shrink volume to create a new partition to install xp). i thought it'd be all worthwhile to have my dvdrom drive back to normal (since disks work on any other pc) but nope, nothing worked.i've tried filter deleting,autoplay setting, imapi messin etc with vista and nothing. nowi have xp sp3 and still nothing Sad
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 2:16 AM
  • Hi Clint-

I have been reading through the posts on this SP3 issue (or the many of them there seem to be).  I did not experience any problems on my 3 computers I have at home but when fixing a friends computer she said her CD rom would not write files to it any longer so I replaced the hardware for her and windows still does noy recognize that there is even a cd rom plugged in.  I have tried everything(unlinstalling drives, reinstalling, troubleshooting etc) except deleting the filters like you suggested in a few posts.  That is my last thing to try.  I am a little hesitant since some posts stated it did not work for them.  Have you run into any other way to fix this issue.  I have not uninstalled SP3.  I thought I would ask before I start deleting registry filters.

Thanks

jlilja

Monday, November 17, 2008 2:37 AM
  • Rather late in reading thread. I have been trying to make sense of my problem NEC DVD ROM drive ceasing to write to DVDs as far as I can see post SP3 update - and came across this thread. I would like to try out the IMAPI v2 update, have even downloaded it, however am holding back on installation. My XP PRO / Media Centre 2004 is german language. I have checked through the MS site but can only find the ENU language version of the fix - will it work on my system / can I risk installing it as I do not want to screw everything up.

Help would be appreciated  before I take this step.

Thanks
    Saturday, December 06, 2008 9:02 PM
  • Has anyone found a solution to this yet? Ive tried all the mentioned solutions but nothing works:(
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 4:34 PM
  • Has anyone found a solution to this problem yet? My Nec dvd writer has not been working since a service pack 3 update was downloaded onto my computer a couple of days ago.

I am not happy, can not believe that microsoft are allowed to gt away with screwing up so many peoples computers!! And then have the cheek to blame the manufacterers of the dvd writers!!!
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 4:41 PM
  • When I purchased my HP vs17e Computer it came with Windows XP. I had Windows Vista installed on my computer after a few months. I encountered some problems with Vista so I recently re-installed Windows XP. Now whenever I try to watch a DVD movie the DVD/CD drive says that it is a blank disc where as it is not. I did not have this problem before. Does anyone know what the problem may be? Thank you very much for your effort.

Saturday, January 03, 2009 1:04 AM
  • I can't get my DVD/CD writer to read data discs. It will play a DVD but that's it. I assigned a different drive letter but then the PC would not find it. The only thing I can get it to do is to think there is a disc although it won't do anything with it if I click Enable CD recording under the recording tab. I removed all instances of Pinnacle, Roxio, DLA, etc.

Can someone post the Upper Filters and LowerFilters data that works for them. At this point I'll try anything.

I removed the drive and restarted, sometimes I get a lowerfilter but no upper filter.

FYI - XP SP3, HP Media Center PC with a Lite-On DVDRW SOHW-1633S. I even downloaded the latest driver for my specific drive but it will not update the firmware becasue it has some other letters after the 1633S. I can't use the HP FW because I need to be able to write it to a CD (Catch 22).

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Sunday, January 18, 2009 1:53 AM
  • XP SP3 broke by Sony DRU 710A drive. After installing SP3 the drive does not recognize any blank DVD media. Nero and Roxio both say media not present. If I unistall SP3 the drive starts working again. When will Microsoft have this problem fixed?
    Monday, February 02, 2009 6:31 PM
  • Sarvon said:

XP SP3 broke by Sony DRU 710A drive. After installing SP3 the drive does not recognize any blank DVD media. Nero and Roxio both say media not present. If I unistall SP3 the drive starts working again. When will Microsoft have this problem fixed?

This might be a problem with third-party CD/DVD software setting "Upper" or "Lower" filters in the registry.  If you review this thread or similar ones in this forum you should find various suggested ways of deleting those filter settings and restoring normal operation of the CD/DVD drive - though this might stop the third-party software working.  Another approach would be to uninstall all third-party CD/DVD software to identofy whether the drive now functions normally under SP3.  Then install them back again and test after each until you find the one that stops normal function.  The list of third-party software that adds filter settings is quite long, and includes some unexpected items, such as iTunes for instance.
    Tuesday, February 03, 2009 1:05 PM
  • It has nothing to do with the upper and lower filters. I have tried those multiple times. I had done almost everything that is in this forum and the drive still did not work. It is definitely XP SP3 that is causing the problem. I pulled the drive out and put it in another machine with a clean installation of XP SP1 installed. I then installed Roxio. The drive worked great. I then installed SP3 and the drive quit working again. I then uninstalled SP3 and the drive started working again. That seems to be a pretty good indication it is SP3. Two different machines that quit working when SP3 is installed? Doesn't that indicate it is SP3? I am not the only person having this issue either. Just search with Google and you will find other complaints with no solutions yet. The only common thing is XP SP3.
    Thursday, February 05, 2009 6:29 PM
  • Try starting with a clean version of XP SP1 or SP2.  Do NOT install any special CD/DVD software such as Roxio, Nero, Alcohol, iTunes (or, if it is already installed, then uninstall it).  Then update to SP3 in the absence of any CD/DVD software.  Your CD/DVD drive should then work normally.  Then, after you are already at SP3 level, install your special CD/DVD software.
    Robin Walker
    Thursday, February 05, 2009 7:29 PM
  • Thank you for the suggestion. I do appreciate the help. I will try that approach. Wouldn't it be better though if Microsoft didn't break existing configurations? Their customers would be much happier. In my case I spent a whole lot of time (many days) trying to figure out if my drive had gone bad or something else happened.
    Thursday, February 05, 2009 11:08 PM
  • I tried your sugestion but the Sony DRU 710A drive still does not work with XP SP3 installed. I started over from scratch. I installed XP SP1, then I installed XP SP3, and then I installed Roxio. The DVD burner still does not recognize blank media. Roxio gives me the error "Medium not present - Unit not ready. [0x123A000C]". If I start over and install XP SP1 and then Roxio the drive works great. Do you have any other suggestions? Thank you for your help.
    Monday, February 09, 2009 6:32 PM
  • Judging by activity and posts over on the Roxio forum, this is a problem with older versions of Roxio software.  You might need to update to a currently supported version of the Roxio applications, or you might find that the Roxio update at
    http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL=/content/kb/General%20Information/000070GN&PARAMS=
    resolves the issue.
    Robin Walker
    Monday, February 09, 2009 8:36 PM
  • Thanks Robin!!

I spoke to HP regarding this issue they also told me to remove the upper/lower filters..which I did .. but never worked !! they then told me I needed to replace the whole optic drive as it was damaged !! good job I looked in to this a bit more..  you have save me money.I Have updated Roxio apps and it works a treat !! back to burning DVD's http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL=/content/kb/General%20Information/000070GN&PARAMS

Thanks again.

Kerry.

Tuesday, February 10, 2009 2:34 PM
  • The second part of your reply, I have deleted the lower filters and upper filters in my registry and now my CD/DVD won't work.  I could not even install a new printer in my computer because the CD/DVD won't read the CD.  How could I put it back and rename them as stated in the second part of your reply? 
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 8:10 PM
  • Error in my computer says Lower and Upper filter registry not found.  What should I do?
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 8:12 PM
  • I found the fix for you!

have a look at this

Additionally you might look at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer
    Modify/Create the Value Name [NoCDBurning] according to the Value Data listed below.
    Data Type: REG_DWORD [Dword Value] // Value Name: NoCDBurning
    Value Data: [0 - Enable Burning]. Adjust this and reboot the computer.

• Proposed as answer by tazodie Wednesday, March 11, 2009 9:24 PM
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 9:22 PM
  •  Hello there.

I seem to be having a similar problem to yourselves. For some reason I can no longer use my CD Player (_NEC DVD_RW ND-3530A)within my Windows XP system.

It used to work fine but now when I try to record a CD using Windows Media Player, the disk/drive is not recognised.

If you could provide any helpfull feedback it would be much appreciated.

Regards

Kevin Trainer
    kevin_trainer@hotmail.com
    www.ktrainer.info
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 11:44 PM
  • Kevin, some more information would be helpful.

Does the CD/DVD drive work in scenarios other than as a CD burner?  For instance, will it read or play CDs/DVDs?

Does the drive appear present in Device Manager?

If it is the disk (rather than the drive) which is not recognised, have you tried alternative burnable media?

One possibility is that the drive hardware is nearing end of life, and so might be working for some functions but not for others.  If this is the case, then the only real solution is a new drive.

Some solutions for software-related problems are:

1. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

2. If there is now or has ever been any Sonic or Roxio software on the PC, then please install the Px engine updater from
    http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/General%20Information/000070GN

3. Uninstall iTunes.  Check the drive.  Re-install iTunes.  Check the drive again.

Robin Walker
    Sunday, March 22, 2009 3:37 PM
  • This was the answer to all my problems. THANK YOU!

edit....oops I clicked on my post by mistake as the answer. Is there an undo for that?
    • Proposed as answer by theunbubba Tuesday, May 05, 2009 3:55 AM
    Tuesday, May 05, 2009 3:54 AM
  • Lite-on SHW-1635S DVD ReWriter.

Installed SP3, various problems reading DVD disks, No probs prior to SP3.

If DVD/Properties/Recording is not disabled, windows seems to be
    reading the (blank) contents of the windows native recording cache rather
    than the inserted disks. Disabled DVD/Properties/Recording which allows
    reading of some disks. This step may not be necessary after the below. 

Remaining Problems seemed to be connected only to DVD+R disks.
    Writes OK in Nero but then cannot read them.
    Oddity in Nero (and Lite-On Smartburn Program) displayed DVD+R disks as
    DVD-RW, Nero would even let me erase previously written & closed DVD+R
    disks which windows could not read although they were of course destroyed.
    Used official Lite-On BookSetting program to reset the setting for DVD-RW
    back to normal (I had previously set it to DVD-ROM when using SP2) and
    hey Presto, I can now read my disks again.
    There are other programs that allow bit settings including DVDDecrypter
    and Nero CD/DVD Speed (extras menu). If you have at some time changed
    the booksetting bits (to eg make DVD+R video disks more compatible with
    domestic players), then this may be your solution to the problem. If you use
    nero, it can still set the book type of video DVD+R to DVD-ROM if left on AUTO.
    (Recorder/Choose Recorder/Options/Book Type Settings).

My Lite-On drive has the words "Sony Corporation" in the firmware, and
    as the new DVD rewriter (I purchased just hours before finding 'my solution')
    is manufactured by Sony NEC Optiarc Inc, it would seem that these companies
    (Lite-On, Sony, & NEC) are in some way related, given the number of posts that
    mention these drive manufacturers, the problem experienced by many in this
    thread may be a combination of both Sony firmware & MS SP3. There is I
    think some firmware bug in my Lite-On drive (and perhaps other Sony & NEC)
    which prevents accurate interpreting of the drives disk read/write capabilities
    (which type it can use eg DVD+R, dual layer etc) and even though I have just
    recently upgraded the firmware, the bug seems to remain, Perhaps this is also
    part of the problem.

By the way, DVD drives have two lasers, infra red for CD & Visible blue
    light for DVD, so it is not so surprising that some drives can develop
    problems reading just one of these formats. Visible blue light has shorter
    wavelength and is better suited to reading/writing the much smaller lands &
    pits (shiny and dark spots) of the DVD.

The below link is a good source of CD/DVD info and includes links to various
    tools to eg flash OEM drives (eg HP or DELL that are really eg Lite-On) to their
    non OEM (flashable) versions.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/

This may not help everyone in this thread but I hope it will help a few.

• Edited by fartypants Tuesday, May 19, 2009 3:08 PM
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 2:53 PM
  • Which one was the answer?  Here it is June 22, 2009 and I'm having the exact same problem.  But I haven't yet uninstalled SP3.  I've tried everything else (except opening the machine up and unplugging and plugging things back in).
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 1:28 AM
  • "Fix problems in which your CD or DVD drive cannot read or write media in Windows"
    http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cd_dvd_drive_problems

This page has an ActiveX tool called Automated Troubleshooting Services which will run and fix the disk problems. After running it, I was able to read my CDs & DVDs. I believe it fixed the UDF drivers so the drives would properly recognize discs containing UDF. I am running XP Pro SP3.
    Sunday, November 08, 2009 3:52 PM
  • I am in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}] in the registry put there is no upperfiltersor lowerfilters, only the other ones. What should I do?
    Thanks in advance.
    Tuesday, December 01, 2009 7:54 PM
  • Clint D,

On several occaisions in the past three year, the Elecard decoder gets installed on an XP machine and then refuses to play
    dvd's corectly. After uninstalling the the codec nothning seems to read or recognise Dual Layer discs again. Removing the filters and uninstalling the drives got everthing working again in Win DVD v6 and v9 but no audio in wmp 11!? read another post about Installing the AC3 codec and it fixed wmp11. I am a professionsl system engineer and you have really saved my bacon!!

Thanks a Terra Heap!! 
    Highend Systembuilder
    • Proposed as answer by fabjr Thursday, December 31, 2009 7:42 AM
    Monday, December 28, 2009 3:07 PM
  • I tried everything and nothing worked. Could it be that I have a HP computer??????????????????
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 4:14 AM
  • YOU OWN CLINT LOVE YOU FOREVER !!!
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 9:36 AM
  • I've experienced the same problem with my dc7600 HP PCs. Haven't had a chance to find a solution yet.
    Thursday, March 04, 2010 7:43 AM
  • sorry, but this isn't much help to me. i need to chat with a tech your just confused me more. i have a dell dimension e521 computer that is 5 five years old and i had to do a re-install after my computer dealer (i didn't buy from wal-mart, costco or sears or k-mart) cleaned a virus 2 years ago.  it ran fine after that for about a year, then roxio came up and said need to validate product code. and that the program expired, then i tried to go online to validate it, that failed! and i can't use my windows media player, all of this happened after it contacted microsoft, ad them teling me to re-install the program that came with my computer. that didn't work, and i can't afford to get a tech, online or not! (i'm unemployed right now!!) so how can i contact someone without paying?!!
    Wednesday, May 02, 2012 6:26 PM
  • Hi,

Are you tried this fix tools?

https://skydrive.live.com/downloadaszipdownload

Regards Jinish.K.G

• Edited by Jinish KG Monday, May 07, 2012 10:28 AM
    Monday, May 07, 2012 10:28 AM