none
Error code: 0x80070017 during at the beginning of the installation

Question

• I'm getting error code: 0x80070017 during extracting files, which is:
    Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart installation.

I've tried burning another dvd but i'm getting the same problem, i have no idea why?

I'm installing it one a separate partition, which is empty. I also have Vista and Ubuntu 8.10 on my computer.

Please, help.

-a14m
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 10:02 AM

Answers

• Boot Vista, then insert your DVD in the drive while it's running (and the computer connected to the internet, so that the installer can download needed updates).

When the DVD loads, select install, and then, clean install, rather than upgrade. It will display all of your drives and/or partitions and ask where you want to install Win7. It will then reboot and proceed with a clean install.

That should get it going for you.

Let me know if you need more help.
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 12:44 PM

All replies

• Are you starting by trying to boot from the DVD, or are you inserting the DVD in the drive while Vista is running to begin the installation?
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 10:44 AM
  • I'm trying to boot from the DVD.
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 11:56 AM
  • Boot Vista, then insert your DVD in the drive while it's running (and the computer connected to the internet, so that the installer can download needed updates).

When the DVD loads, select install, and then, clean install, rather than upgrade. It will display all of your drives and/or partitions and ask where you want to install Win7. It will then reboot and proceed with a clean install.

That should get it going for you.

Let me know if you need more help.
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 12:44 PM
  • Also, of course, there is a chance that your download got corrupted, so you might actually need to download again.
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 12:47 PM
  • I have downloaded it twice using different download clients so i don't think it's because of the file
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 1:39 PM
  • I have 32bit Vista installed on my computer and I'm trying to install 64bit version of Windows 7, can that be the cause of the problem. Because of that i can't run setup from Vista.
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 1:47 PM
  • I ran into this problem about 2 weeks ago, and both a brand new copy of Vista Home Premium SP1 and the downloaded Beta for Windows 7 64bit were giving the same problem, during installation on a brand new PC.  After much research and NO help from Microsoft, I solved the problem by doing something that should of had no impact on the problem. 

You probably have a SATA hard drive, which in the bios is set to act as an IDE device by default.  This exact option will vary in location depending on your bios, and may or may not even be available depending on the age and capabilities of your motherboard; however, most computers do have this option.  Under the hard drive settings, change it from default or IDE to ACHI.  Your motherboard manual can explain exactly what the difference is, but  changing this option worked for me.  I took the time to read the passage in my motherboard book and it is actually a more advanced setting for drive connectivity, so don't worry you won't fry the motherboard by changing this option.  If you need more help, let me know.

Todd
    • Proposed as answer by Ben.Hubbard Saturday, September 18, 2010 7:19 PM
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 1:59 PM
  • No, installing 64 bit by starting with a 32 OS is not a problem. I did that in one of my laptops just to verify that it works without difficulty.
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 2:07 PM
  • I presume you have verified that your processor is 64 bit ... I don't think the installer would have gone that far if it were not.
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 2:19 PM
  • I have 64bit processor for sure, I'm running 64bit Ubuntu.
    I have Dell Latitude D830.
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 2:33 PM
  • a14m said:

I have downloaded it twice using different download clients so i don't think it's because of the file

Hi,

Did you check the file hash?

Friday, January 23, 2009 9:45 AM
  • Make sure the "bootable devices" is set properly in the bios.  Even it is boots ok with other operating systems, it may cause a problem with Win7.  I speak from experience.  Also try resetting the BIOS to default values.
    Friday, January 23, 2009 11:52 AM
  • how can i check the file hash?

Friday, January 30, 2009 7:31 AM
  • Hi. Im from Spain but I try to speak in english.

Download this program:Hast tab;  from this web http://beeblebrox.org/hashtab/ and install.

When you enter in the propertis of one file (for example the .iso of the Windows 7 BETA), check that md5 will be : 773fc9cc60338c612af716a2a14f177d
    (This md5 is from file : 7000.0.081212-1400_client_en-us_Ultimate-GB1CULXFRE_EN_DVD.ISO).

Adios ;)

Sunday, February 01, 2009 4:12 AM
  • Hi.
    Yesterday, I have the same problem (the error 0x80070017), but now I`m in Windows 7.

The error is that the image of DVD or the DVD is corrupt.
    I burn other DVD whit Windows 7 and it run very well.
    ;)
    • Proposed as answer by Zenohn Monday, February 02, 2009 8:48 PM
    Sunday, February 01, 2009 3:31 PM
  • No, installing 64 bit by starting with a 32 OS is not a problem. I did that in one of my laptops just to verify that it works without difficulty.

Are you sure? I've vista hp 32bit version. I want to install win7 in a new partition (F:\ with 22gb space).  I'm getting the same 0x80070017 error when Expanding Window File 64% 

I've the screen shots too.  I tried 3 times.  Please help.

Do you think I should burn another DVD disk to resolve this issue?  My laptop (Dell XPS M1530 2GB Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit version) doesn't support 64bit version of Windows 7 Enterprise Edition? 

Thanks,
    hdotcom
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 3:13 PM
  • This was the issue for me - switching to ACHI fixed it and allowed the install to proceed. 
    Saturday, September 18, 2010 7:19 PM
  • I ran into this problem about 2 weeks ago, and both a brand new copy of Vista Home Premium SP1 and the downloaded Beta for Windows 7 64bit were giving the same problem, during installation on a brand new PC.  After much research and NO help from Microsoft, I solved the problem by doing something that should of had no impact on the problem. 

You probably have a SATA hard drive, which in the bios is set to act as an IDE device by default.  This exact option will vary in location depending on your bios, and may or may not even be available depending on the age and capabilities of your motherboard; however, most computers do have this option.  Under the hard drive settings, change it from default or IDE to ACHI.  Your motherboard manual can explain exactly what the difference is, but  changing this option worked for me.  I took the time to read the passage in my motherboard book and it is actually a more advanced setting for drive connectivity, so don't worry you won't fry the motherboard by changing this option.  If you need more help, let me know.

Todd

Thanks man!

I tried tons of solutions I found on the internet and the only (and in the end easiest) thing that worked was setting my SATA drives to RAID and download the correct RAID drivers for my mainboard.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 10:17 AM
  • Thank you so much Zenohn, I had this same problem and just by using a different CD it let me finish with the installation.
    Tuesday, July 03, 2012 9:48 PM