none
Unable to obtain a list of third-party drivers through Windows Update

Question

• I am attempting to install the drivers for a HP Laserjet 2100tn network printer.  I have three identical PC's running Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit.  Two of the PC's obtained the drivers when I select the Windows Update option from the Add Printer window.  However, one PC gives the error, "Windows was unable to get a list of devices from Windows Update.  Please try again later."  I have verified that Windows Update functions properly when it comes to updates, it is only having an issue obtaining the list of printer drivers.  I have tried running the fix-it located at http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_update/ but it does not seem to help.
    Thursday, May 03, 2012 8:53 PM

Answers

All replies

• 1. I would recommend to use drivers from printer vendor's site:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=cs&cc=cz&prodNameId=14918&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=25469&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=4063

2. Whenever you have problem with windows/Microsoft update, look into WindowsUpdate.log and Event logs. Without knowing more detailes no one could provide good answer.

Regards

Milos

Friday, May 04, 2012 7:44 AM
  • Microsoft is aware of the issue and investigating.  You can manually download and update the driver from the Windows Update Catalog website -

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com

Thanks,

Shain[MSFT]

Thursday, May 10, 2012 10:34 PM
  • I found a solution in an HP Form that worked for a Laserjet 4050.  Do the following:

These steps did resolve the issue:

1. Open Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del)

2. Click Sevices Tab and then Services Button (Bottom Right)

3. Under Name find "Windows Update"

4. Right click "Windows Update" and select Stop. do not close

5. Open Window Exploper and browse to C:\Windows

6. Delete the Folder "SoftwareDistribution"

7. Go back to Task Manager then  Services, Right click "Windows Update" and
    select Start.

Then go back to the Add Printer function click on Windows Update.   It will work, but be patient this will take
    several minutes.

You will also find that the SoftwareDistribution folder has been
    rebuilt.

• Proposed as answer by WinJLAA Saturday, June 02, 2012 5:41 PM
    Saturday, June 02, 2012 5:40 PM
  • I found a solution in an HP Form that worked for a Laserjet 4050.  Do the following:

These steps did resolve the issue:

1. Open Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del)

2. Click Sevices Tab and then Services Button (Bottom Right)

3. Under Name find "Windows Update"

4. Right click "Windows Update" and select Stop. do not close

5. Open Window Exploper and browse to C:\Windows

6. Delete the Folder "SoftwareDistribution"

7. Go back to Task Manager then  Services, Right click "Windows Update" and
    select Start.

Then go back to the Add Printer function click on Windows Update.   It will work, but be patient this will take
    several minutes.

You will also find that the SoftwareDistribution folder has been
    rebuilt.

I did this and total success! Thank You! I was able to install my IBM Infoprint 8 Dinosaur and it works perfectly.

You will have to be patient, I am on Cable Broadband and it took easily 5 minutes to update the Software Distribution folder!

Saturday, July 14, 2012 2:09 PM
  • Great , Works fine after deleting the folder "Software Distribution". Thank you
    Monday, October 01, 2012 5:50 AM