When Will Microsoft Fix The Problem With Hosted Networking on a Surface Pro 3? RRS feed

• Question

• Surface Pro 3 512GB
    Windows 8.1 with all patches.

The following is from this thread:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-networking/netsh-wlan-start-hostednetwork-not-working-on/f414cea9-c110-483c-a3a2-840a4ce317e2?rtAction=1423330004507

A Microsoft member said it would be better to raise it in technet.

netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=test key=12345678
    The hosted network mode has been set to allow.
    The SSID of the hosted network has been successfully changed.
    The user key passphrase of the hosted network has been successfully changed.

netsh wlan start hostednetwork
    The hosted network couldn't be started.
    A device attached to the system is not functioning

One of the comments in the thread said:

"I have the same issue on a Surface pro 3.
    It is related to the fact that they removed VAP support from the wifi driver."

Now a new wifi driver was included with the latest firmware update (01/15/2015) but it did not fix the problem.
    I
    Please note this is a Surface Pro 3 problem as it works on a Surface Pro 2 running Windows 8.1.

This problem has been reported to Microsoft by me and I was told "the developers are working on it."  That was six months ago.  I see posts going back a year saying the problem was reported to Microsoft Support.

When will this be fixed?

• Edited by saberman2 Saturday, February 7, 2015 6:07 PM typo
    Saturday, February 7, 2015 6:06 PM

All replies

• Address this problem to Microsoft via connect

http://connect.microsoft.com/

At  the same time address the nearest MS representative.

Rgds

Milos

Saturday, February 7, 2015 7:12 PM
  • >Address this problem to Microsoft via connect
    Connect is not accepting bug reports or suggestions for Surface Pro 3. 

>At  the same time address the nearest MS representative.
    The nearest Microsoft representative is the one that told me to post in technet. 

Sunday, February 8, 2015 7:57 AM
  • You have done a lot to make your computer work as expected. Summerize it and send to MS HQ.

Try to find wifi device vendor (http://www.pcidatabase.com). Install alternative drivers and contact device vendor if this does not help. "Chances" are that simplified device has been been used (L). Backup your system before doing tests.

If nothing helps, then warranty may apply.

Regards

Milos 

Sunday, February 8, 2015 8:58 AM
  • On Sat, 7 Feb 2015 18:06:38 +0000, saberman_Plus_1 wrote:

>This problem has been reported to Microsoft by me and I was told "the developers are working on it."  That was six months ago.  I see posts going back a year saying the problem was reported to Microsoft Support.

Do you have a case number? From
    you've had a couple of contacts with support.

If you provide case numbers, it would be helpful in escalating further. And more
    specifically, it might help someone from Microsoft determine IF the issue has
    been escalated. While Microsoft has been doing work on the wifi driver for
    nearly the entire time since the SP3 was released, there is no information
    anywhere as to whether this bug is known or not.

As you also know, I sent it in to the"right" people inside Microsoft and as you
    also know, I did not get a response. (I'm an end user just like you even though
    I'm a Community Moderator on the Surface Forum in Communities).

-- Barb Bowman
    Sunday, February 8, 2015 11:29 AM
  • netsh wlan start hostednetwork
    The hosted network couldn't be started.
    A device attached to the system is not functioning

Please note this is a Surface Pro 3 problem as it works on a Surface Pro 2 running Windows 8.1.

When will this be fixed?

I think a useful question is: what is the difference?  E.g. has anyone suggested or asked you for diagnostics?  If so, what were they?  For example we supposedly have tracing available under netsh wlan sh tr and something called reportissues which apparently depends on that; so one possible tack forward would be getting two sets of diagnostics for the two cases and seeing where they diverge.  Perhaps with knowledge gleaned that way you could devise a practical workaround.

BTW another more general diagnostic tool that I recently became aware of is ETW tracing.  Perhaps there is one of those which would be more effective than any of these specialty diagnostics. 

Often workarounds are available with sufficient knowledge about how stuff works.  Too bad we are dealing with closed source software but at least we are allowed to peek inside it and make inferences about how it may be working.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

• Proposed as answer by Yolanda Zhu Tuesday, February 17, 2015 2:57 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_LS Tuesday, February 17, 2015 9:26 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by saberman2 Wednesday, July 29, 2015 7:54 AM
    Sunday, February 8, 2015 4:39 PM