none
Can 32bit programs run in XP Mode in Windows 7 pro 64bit?

Question

• I am building a new computer (i7 920, Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 Motherboard, 12 Gb RAM). My primary (Leica LAS Montage) application is only available in 32bit. I also want to install several 64bit applications i.e. Adobe PhotoshopCS4 Extended 64bit.

Can I run my 32bit program in XP Mode if my OS is Windows 7 Pro 64bit?

Will I be able to access my data (image) files created by the 32bit program from my 64bit programs running under Windows 7?

This seems like it would be a much simpler setup than trying to have a dual boot (Windows 7 32bit and Windows 7 64bit) system.
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 8:08 PM

Answers

• XP Mode is just a virtual machine hosted by Windows 7 Virtual PC. All versions of Virtual PC (Virtual PC for Mac, Virtual PC 2004, Virtual PC 2007, Windows 7 Virtual PC) only support 32-bit guest operating systems regardless of the bitness of the operating system they are installed on. It doesn't matter if you are running 32 bit ot 64 bit Windows 7 - your virtual machines in Virtual PC are all 32 bit. That means XP Mode can only be 32 bit.

The reason XP Mode exists is to enable people to run legacy software that runs only on 32 bit XP. You can configure your XP Mode virtual machine to be able to access drives on your Windows 7 machine. If you want your Windows 7 machine to access files in your XP Mode vm, you'll need to create a share in your XP Mode vm that's accessible to your Windows 7 machine. Or you can map a drive. You'll need to modify the network setting for your vm to bind directly to the physical network adapter instead of using NAT.

Yes, XP Mode is much simpler and more convenient than dual booting.
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 10:03 PM
  • Uhm, you can run 32bit apps under Win7 x64 without using XP-Mode..

I think that Leica LAS Montage will work good just under Win7 x64.. 
    .. and will not work good under XP-Mode due to poor GPU (virtual GPU = poor performance).

Correct me if I'm wrong.

You are correct. But the original question was "Can I run my 32bit program in XP Mode if my OS is Windows 7 Pro 64bit?" which is what I was narrowing my response to. Keeping first things first, a 32-bit application should first be attempted to run on Windows 7. If that doesn't work, a mitigation strategy should be attempted. Finally, as a last resort, the 32-bit application can be installed in XP Mode. Applications requiring 3-D graphics will not work in XP Mode. Applications requiring more than 16-bit color that work adequately with 24-bit color can work in XP Mode: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprovirt/thread/12a17fa5-ddab-4480-8973-1a13bfb2e8fd
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 3:40 AM

All replies

• XP Mode is just a virtual machine hosted by Windows 7 Virtual PC. All versions of Virtual PC (Virtual PC for Mac, Virtual PC 2004, Virtual PC 2007, Windows 7 Virtual PC) only support 32-bit guest operating systems regardless of the bitness of the operating system they are installed on. It doesn't matter if you are running 32 bit ot 64 bit Windows 7 - your virtual machines in Virtual PC are all 32 bit. That means XP Mode can only be 32 bit.

The reason XP Mode exists is to enable people to run legacy software that runs only on 32 bit XP. You can configure your XP Mode virtual machine to be able to access drives on your Windows 7 machine. If you want your Windows 7 machine to access files in your XP Mode vm, you'll need to create a share in your XP Mode vm that's accessible to your Windows 7 machine. Or you can map a drive. You'll need to modify the network setting for your vm to bind directly to the physical network adapter instead of using NAT.

Yes, XP Mode is much simpler and more convenient than dual booting.
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 10:03 PM
  • TechNet Video: Thrive Live! IT Pro Virtualization Tour (Part 3 of 4): Windows XP Mode (Level 200)

http://www.microsoft.com/events/series/thrive.aspx?tab=Videos&seriesid=152&webcastid=12815

Saturday, March 13, 2010 10:57 PM
  • Thanks, that is what I needed to know.
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 12:01 AM

.. and will not work good under XP-Mode due to poor GPU (virtual GPU = poor performance).

Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 2:20 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong.

You are correct. But the original question was "Can I run my 32bit program in XP Mode if my OS is Windows 7 Pro 64bit?" which is what I was narrowing my response to. Keeping first things first, a 32-bit application should first be attempted to run on Windows 7. If that doesn't work, a mitigation strategy should be attempted. Finally, as a last resort, the 32-bit application can be installed in XP Mode. Applications requiring 3-D graphics will not work in XP Mode. Applications requiring more than 16-bit color that work adequately with 24-bit color can work in XP Mode: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprovirt/thread/12a17fa5-ddab-4480-8973-1a13bfb2e8fd
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 3:40 AM