Windows 8.1 preview - No WIFI

Question

• I installed the Windows 8.1 Preview and now my "802.11n Wireless LAN Card" does not show any wifi signals to connect to. I have it hooked up with an ethernet cable right now which works fine. It also uninstalled my Avast antivirus. The last thing to uninstall my antivirus and disable my internet was a malware.

HP Pavilion p7-1414, AMD Quad-core, 6g RAM, 802.11n Wireless LAN Card

Thursday, June 27, 2013 2:27 AM

Answers

• From Cesar Mello (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1_pr-hardware/no-wireless-networks-after-upgrade-to-windows-81/c9223bef-cd2e-4098-bdd2-34f8f8f70ac2?page=2)

"I own a Lenovo G470 and my problem is solved.

Device manager was showing I had a Realtek wireless lan driver facing a startup error. I tried updating the driver even with a LAN connection working but had no luck.

Then I downloaded the latest Realtek/Atheros bundle drivers from the Lenovo support site, installed them and still no luck. The driver shown in Device Manager seemed to be the same that was installed before and still not working.

So I tried to update the driver choosing the Browse My Computer for Driver Software / Let me pick a list of device drivers. It showed three options: Realtek driver, Microsoft driver and Atheros driver. Tried each one, as soon as I chose the ATHEROS driver the wireless lan icon appeared and everything started working!

I hope this helps someone.

Now my Windows 8.1 notebook rocks.

Best regards and thanks for the help!

Cesar"

fixed my problem

Friday, June 28, 2013 3:01 AM

All replies

• same problem here. no wifi signals at all.

Thursday, June 27, 2013 3:26 AM
  • Have you tried to reinstall the Windows 8 WIFI drivers?

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Thursday, June 27, 2013 5:14 AM
  • same here  reinstall did nothing

• Proposed as answer by pstonebr Thursday, June 27, 2013 8:28 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by pstonebr Thursday, June 27, 2013 8:28 PM
    Thursday, June 27, 2013 5:51 AM
  • Any news on this ? I have the same problem here !
    Thursday, June 27, 2013 8:35 AM
  • Just instaled it too, no wireless, mine is a Toshiba

Satellite P870/026

• Proposed as answer by rasolosergio Thursday, September 12, 2013 1:11 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by rasolosergio Thursday, September 12, 2013 1:12 PM
    Thursday, June 27, 2013 8:54 AM
  • Just go to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections and re-enable the Adapter.
    • Proposed as answer by pstonebr Thursday, June 27, 2013 8:28 PM
    Thursday, June 27, 2013 9:23 AM
  • It won't let my wifi card start code 10. Tried reinstalling the drivers and still no go
    • Edited by rmfjb Thursday, June 27, 2013 11:22 AM ....
    Thursday, June 27, 2013 11:21 AM
  • Same problem. 
    • Edited by IshamMohamed Thursday, June 27, 2013 11:43 AM wrong thing
    Thursday, June 27, 2013 11:43 AM
  • It is supposed to uninstall the antivirus and leave Windows Defender to do security. I will assume then that it is intended to disable the wifi. I did not see any warnings about this pre-install.
    Thursday, June 27, 2013 1:09 PM
  • Same problem - no WiFi signals. I attached a router configured as a client to access my wireless network. While configuring the client - the internal WiFI started working! After rebooting - WiFi gone again :(   My guess is it has something to do with the new Wireless Hotspot features predicted to be in the final version.

• Edited by MaxKts Thursday, June 27, 2013 2:33 PM added info
    Thursday, June 27, 2013 2:30 PM
  • Same here! Wifi is now working in my Lenovo, it gives me error 10. I tried reinstalling the drivers but they're up to date.
    Thursday, June 27, 2013 4:21 PM
  • Same boat here with my Toshiba. Realtek adapter is enabled and up to date but nothing until I plug it in to LAN. Hoping they come out with a patch really soon since I like the new features

Thursday, June 27, 2013 5:49 PM
  • Same problem with my SurfaceRT.

IT sees no net or claims password is invalid even if i try to connect to an open net. 

It worked perfectly with 8.0 and other devices can connect so in my case it's the surfaceRT or 8.1 that is the root of the problem

Thursday, June 27, 2013 6:59 PM
  • Having issues with my surface pro not wanting to stay connected.
    Thursday, June 27, 2013 7:53 PM
  • same here.. no wifi network found
    Thursday, June 27, 2013 8:40 PM
  • I have same problem on HP except when i try to disable and re enable my card it locks my notebook up. Upon reboot it does same thing over and over.
    Thursday, June 27, 2013 10:18 PM
  • Same here, i tried enabling the adapter in Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections once i click Enable, it first says Enabling followed by Enabled. But it still wont enable it even tho it says that it does...
    Thursday, June 27, 2013 10:27 PM
  • Same, Realtek RTL8192DE wlan card. Go to properties in device manager. Find this under device status.

"This device cannot start. (Code 10)

{Operation Failed}
    The requested operation was unsuccessful."

un-installed drivers, installed latest from realtek website. still nothing.

• Proposed as answer by aj35lightning Friday, June 28, 2013 3:01 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by aj35lightning Friday, June 28, 2013 3:01 AM
    Friday, June 28, 2013 2:54 AM
  • From Cesar Mello (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1_pr-hardware/no-wireless-networks-after-upgrade-to-windows-81/c9223bef-cd2e-4098-bdd2-34f8f8f70ac2?page=2)

Device manager was showing I had a Realtek wireless lan driver facing a startup error. I tried updating the driver even with a LAN connection working but had no luck.

Then I downloaded the latest Realtek/Atheros bundle drivers from the Lenovo support site, installed them and still no luck. The driver shown in Device Manager seemed to be the same that was installed before and still not working.

So I tried to update the driver choosing the Browse My Computer for Driver Software / Let me pick a list of device drivers. It showed three options: Realtek driver, Microsoft driver and Atheros driver. Tried each one, as soon as I chose the ATHEROS driver the wireless lan icon appeared and everything started working!

Cesar"

fixed my problem

Friday, June 28, 2013 3:01 AM
  • This worked for me too,

I have a ASUS PCE N53 card and i had to choose "802.11n Wireless Lan card (Microsoft) to get it to work.

• Proposed as answer by JBLP24 Thursday, September 26, 2013 12:08 AM
    Friday, June 28, 2013 8:26 AM
  • please can u provide with images so that it could be helpful to me
    Friday, June 28, 2013 12:14 PM
  • it works now thanks dude

Friday, June 28, 2013 12:27 PM
  • Yea, that worked for me too.

Control Panel - Hardware and Sound - Device Manager (Under Devices and Printers) - Arrow in front of Network Adapters - Right click on your Wireless card - Update Driver Software - Browse my Computer - Let me pick from a list - Pick a driver you think Microsoft is going to like, and if it doesn't work go back and pick a different one.

• Proposed as answer by Arkar1984 Wednesday, July 03, 2013 3:05 AM
    Friday, June 28, 2013 5:34 PM
  • I also - LG N460 notebook (RTL8723AE), desktop motherboard intel wifi usb DG965WH (ENCORE ENUWI-N3) and (chip Intel ® 82566DC Gigabit Ethernet Controller)
    DESPERATE

OBS.: I've managed to work with internet wifi usb tp-link TL-WN821N
    Friday, June 28, 2013 9:24 PM
  • works here too
    Friday, June 28, 2013 10:30 PM
  • I had a same problem. ... wat i didi wass goto Device manager and disabled LAN Ethernet device..

And Bingo.! It worked... :-) 

Saturday, June 29, 2013 6:18 AM
  • Hey guys. Device manager, click on wifi card,uninstall driver, right click at top to scan for hardware drivers and bam. Worked for me on hp dv7 4180 sf,as I was having the same issues:) 
    • Proposed as answer by Ted Voon Tuesday, July 23, 2013 2:18 PM
    Saturday, June 29, 2013 12:14 PM
  • Thanx Dude..... it worked for me to. now my 8.1 rocks............
    Saturday, June 29, 2013 12:34 PM
  • Hello Guys had the same problem and I've been searching the internet behind the solution, I finally found the solution to my Notebook which is a Itautec infoway note N8510 and uses the wireless network card Realtek RTL8723AE the solution was as follows:
    1 - Device Manager
    2 - Network Adapters
    3 - Select the device related to your wireless card
    4 - Click the Right button on the selected driver and Click Update
    5 - A window appears, click the Browse my computer for driver software
    6 - You will see another window, click let me choose a list of device drivers on the computer and displays a list of available drivers select another driver in the list
    7 - Click Next and go!!
    Now make sure you are capturing wifi networks
    this was the solution I found to my computer using windows 8.1 upgraded the store!

Solution found by a Brazilian student of computer science
    • Proposed as answer by N. Sun Thursday, July 11, 2013 5:08 PM
    Saturday, June 29, 2013 4:10 PM
  • I also do it, but still will not run on my wifi.

Sunday, June 30, 2013 7:02 AM
  • From Cesar Mello

Cesar"

fixed my problem

Selecting the Atheros driver manually completely solved the problem for me.

Thank you!

Wednesday, July 03, 2013 2:51 AM
  • Hello Guys had the same problem and I've been searching the internet behind the solution, I finally found the solution to my Notebook which is a Itautec infoway note N8510 and uses the wireless network card Realtek RTL8723AE the solution was as follows:
    1 - Device Manager
    2 - Network Adapters
    3 - Select the device related to your wireless card
    4 - Click the Right button on the selected driver and Click Update
    5 - A window appears, click the Browse my computer for driver software
    6 - You will see another window, click let me choose a list of device drivers on the computer and displays a list of available drivers select another driver in the list
    7 - Click Next and go!!
    Now make sure you are capturing wifi networks
    this was the solution I found to my computer using windows 8.1 upgraded the store!

Solution found by a Brazilian student of computer science
    This worked for me until yesterday's update, I managed to install a 2011 driver from the list (also a RTL8723AE) but now it broke again.
    Thursday, July 04, 2013 4:39 PM
  • I've been running 8.1 for about a day on a desktop system. I installed 8.1 Preview using a wired connection. After installation I tried installing an older Dynex card (uses a Broadcom chip). I downloaded drivers from Dynex (I assume they were Windows 7 drivers), and at first the card worked. Later after reboot it would not connect to my router.

I then tried a USB Linksys AE2500 adapter I had available. Same drill, but this time the installation worked and I'm now using it instead of the Ethernet port.

The system reacts differently than older versions of Windows in that there's no "hardware wizard" to give you thumbs up or down. I have yet to test with other hardware but it's like PnP is dead.

Thursday, July 04, 2013 5:18 PM
  • I've been running 8.1 for about a day on a desktop system. I installed 8.1 Preview using a wired connection. After installation I tried installing an older Dynex card (uses a Broadcom chip). I downloaded drivers from Dynex (I assume they were Windows 7 drivers), and at first the card worked. Later after reboot it would not connect to my router.

I then tried a USB Linksys AE2500 adapter I had available. Same drill, but this time the installation worked and I'm now using it instead of the Ethernet port.

The system reacts differently than older versions of Windows in that there's no "hardware wizard" to give you thumbs up or down. I have yet to test with other hardware but it's like PnP is dead.

OK, I just saw the Brazilian student's fix above. I had uninstalled the Dynex driver and the adapter disappeared from my hardware list. However, when I "scanned for new hardware" the Dynex adapter showed up but this time it's listed as "Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter" and seems to be working. So we'll see how it goes. Maybe the installation of the Linksys driver helped the Dynex to work? 
    Thursday, July 04, 2013 5:28 PM
  • Thank you a lot! I've got my breath back. This worked for me too in a Lenovo G480, I used the Atheros driver as well.

Friday, July 05, 2013 1:17 PM
  • THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH CESAR!

I HAVE A PC & LAPTOP (MY WIFE MAINLY USES THE LAPTOP)

I DOWNLOADED WINDOWS 8.1 EXPECTING A NICE SURPRISE FOR MY WIFE & FOUND WI-FI WAS GONE

I TRAWLED GOOGLE ON MY PC UNTIL I CAME TO YOUR SOLUTION

I CHECKED LAPTOP FOR OTHER DRIVERS - ONE WAS REALTEK WINDOWS & THE OTHER REALTEK "OTHER"

I CHANGED TO "OTHER" REALTEK & WI-FI CAME BACK

TAHNX A MILLION - YOU SAVED ME LOTS OF EMBARRASSMENT, INSTEAD OF A FUNKY NEW LAPTOP - I WOULD HAVE A FECKED UP BROKEN ONE! THANKS SO MUCH! (YOU SHOULD POST THIS FIX EVERYWHERE)

RORY STOKES

IRELAND

Friday, July 05, 2013 9:39 PM
  • Thanks ,worked a treat,was driving me mad,i've got a lenovo G770 and wifi is not great anyway but since the 8.1 update it was completely gone.
    Tuesday, July 09, 2013 11:02 AM
  • This was of great help. I have a Toshiba Satellite. i went into  DEVICE MANAGER > NETWORK ADAPTERS > REALTEK WIRELESS LAN > UPDATE DRIVERS > BROWSE MY COMPUTER > LET ME PICK FROM A LIST OF DEVICE DRIVERS ON MY COMPUTER > (then picked the driver with "(Realtek semiconductor Corp.) at the end of it)

NOT the one with "(Microsoft)" on it.

This worked for me.

THANKS! 
    Wednesday, July 10, 2013 7:32 AM
  • Thanks a lot dude you just saved me from hustling with my wifi not working for the whole weekend. God bless.

From Cesar Mello 

Cesar"

fixed my problem

Monday, July 15, 2013 12:47 PM
  • Hey guys. Device manager, click on wifi card,uninstall driver, right click at top to scan for hardware drivers and bam. Worked for me on hp dv7 4180 sf,as I was having the same issues:) 

OMG This worked for me, thanks andriodnut1979666!

i'm on surface pro.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 2:19 PM
  • Thank you!!!! That's it!!! (For me, there was a Microsoft version of the Realtec driver, and a Realtec, version -- the former doesn't work, the latter does.

Yes, 8.1 rocks! This was the only problem I had -- everything else is great!
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 8:50 PM
  • This worked 100% for my HP pavilion g6 after 2 hours pf windows update. The WiFi is now working. Cheers mate!
    • Edited by Hacky4real Tuesday, July 23, 2013 9:57 PM
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 9:56 PM
  • Worked for me! Thank you so much; was starting to stress out
    Wednesday, August 14, 2013 6:17 PM
  • That worked brother, thanks!  I had to install the original driver that was on my computer.  For some reason, one driver installed in November didn't play nice with the win 8.1 update installed on 8/15/2013.  Thankfully I had an ethernet connection AND a wireless usb adapter until I found this place.
    Thursday, August 15, 2013 5:03 PM
  • Try the older version...that's what I had to do...The newest win 8.1 update took out my wifi adapter also.
    Thursday, August 15, 2013 5:04 PM
  • This is what i did...i have a toshiba satelite....saved me from a breakdown!!!!  Cheers.
    Friday, August 16, 2013 7:12 AM
  • W8 SUCKS BIGTIME!!!!! FUCK YOU MICROSOFT!!!!! IM GOING TO APPLE!!!!!
    Tuesday, September 10, 2013 8:33 PM
  • I'm using Toshiba too, I Had the same problem, but now , it's working

I have reintsall the Windows 8.1 preview deleting all installed apps , but not my personnal data.....

When  it's installed the WIFI is still not working , so i''ve do this:

-Control Panel - Hardware and Sound - Device Manager (Under Devices and Printers) - Arrow in front of Network Adapters - Right click on your Wireless card - Update Driver Software - Browse my Computer - Let me pick from a list

by chance (i think) there was two Adapter compatible : one of them doesn't work but the one work!!! so try it !! Don't forget to choose wheen you istall Win 8.1 to  delete all installed apps (it will disturb the new system)!

Thursday, September 12, 2013 1:18 PM
  • CALM BOY! just concentrate
    Thursday, September 12, 2013 1:20 PM
  • This worked for me too,

I have a ASUS PCE N53 card and i had to choose "802.11n Wireless Lan card (Microsoft) to get it to work.

I can confirm this worked for me. I have an Asus card as well and my wireless adapter would not work after reboot. I had to either shutdown and turn my computer back on, or put the computer to sleep and awake the system to get wireless networking to work. Changing my driver from the Asus driver to the driver listed here solved my problem. Thanks!
    Thursday, September 26, 2013 12:08 AM
  • Thank you so much for this dude, I had the same problem for my Lenovo G570 and using your method worked like charm...thanks a million!!!
    Sunday, October 06, 2013 4:02 PM
  • Were all of these issues occurring with the same hardware or HP machines? I haven't seen a lot of detail for the hardware or drivers that were experiencing the problems. Has the same solution worked for everyone?
    Monday, October 14, 2013 7:10 PM