none
What is the CDPUsersvc for ?

Question

• Hi,

Just installed Win 10 v1607. Found a CDPUsersvc in services.msc . It is set to automatic, Also the description fails, it says "failed to read description. error code 15100".  So I don't know what the service is used for.  Does someone know what it is ?

• Edited by Two Oclock Friday, August 05, 2016 6:20 AM
    Friday, August 05, 2016 6:19 AM

Answers

• CDPUserSvc_3e64b is svchost.exe -k UnistackSvcGroup. Looking at that with Process Explorer, under the Services tab of the Properties of that process;

OneSyncSvc_3e64b Sync Host_3e64b

This service synchronizes mail, contacts, calendar and various other user data.
    Mail and other application dependent on this functionality will not work
    properly when this service is not running.

PimIndexMaintenanceSvc_3e64b Contact Data_3e64b

Indexes contact date for fast contact searching. If you stop or disable this
    serice, contacts might be missing from you search results.

UnistoreSvc_3e64b User Data Storage_3e64b

Handles storage of structed user data, including contact info, calendars,
    messages and other content. If you stop or disable this service, apps that use
    this data might work correctly.

UserDataSvc_3e64b User Data Access_3e64b

Provides apps with access to structured user data, including contact info,
    calendars, messages and other content. If you stop of disable this service,
    apps that use this data might not work correctly

Also has a https connection MS server, so looking it is OneDrive \ contacts related. Properly could do with some finishing touches on the service...

Monday, August 08, 2016 9:55 PM

All replies

• I have the same "failed to read description..." on my System. But the description of "C:\Windows\System32\cdpusersvc.dll" is: "Microsoft (R) CDP User Components", so it is probably the UWP part of the "Connected Devices Platform Service" (CDPSvc ).

Whatever that means.

Friday, August 05, 2016 8:24 AM
  • On 2/2 systems with 1607 here, the "failed to read description" is seen, too. Microsoft, please do test your software.
    Friday, August 05, 2016 10:39 AM
  • Same here on at least two machines. But the service is running.. You probably have event id 7023 in the system event log?

If im correct it's the Connected Devices Platform Service.. not sure why, but maybe it has to do that i have lots of default apps removed from windows 10. Maybe its just a .dll failed to register correctly...

Friday, August 05, 2016 2:34 PM
  • Whatever it is, it's really buggy. I keep getting error logs for services that use it and get security violations. I can't even find out what the app is so I can adjust the privileges are so it works.  It appears to be linked to an RPC of some kind.
    Friday, August 05, 2016 5:36 PM
  • when you mean errors in event log:
    this has degenerated from Windows 7, where an error in the even log indicated a real problem and was really rare, to Windows 10, were each day a ton off errors are logged without really affecting the system. 

Since Windows 8 there are errors form "CAPI2", and now there are additionaly errors from "DistributedCOM", warnings from TaskScheduler, ...

Friday, August 05, 2016 6:02 PM
  • After installing Windows 10 Anniversary update I also noticed this service. Actually I have the following:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Service name: CDPUserSvc_701f6cb
    Display name: CDPUserSvc_701f6cb
    Description: <Failed to Read Description. Error Code: 15100 >
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Startup type is set to Automatic. And when I try to change it to Manual or Disabled it doesn't let me do that - a pop-up is shown saying: "The parameter is incorrect".

UPDATE

Managed to disable this service in the registry (using regedit).

In the following key
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\CDPUserSvc

I changed the "Start" value data from "2" (Automatic) to "4" (Disabled). Restarted and now it is disabled.

The only thing is that the number at the end is now different (CDPUserSvc_35375), but at least it is disabled now.

• Edited by informatik0101 Monday, August 08, 2016 9:22 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Vid1 Friday, September 30, 2016 4:38 AM
    Monday, August 08, 2016 8:52 PM
  • CDPUserSvc_3e64b is svchost.exe -k UnistackSvcGroup. Looking at that with Process Explorer, under the Services tab of the Properties of that process;

OneSyncSvc_3e64b Sync Host_3e64b

This service synchronizes mail, contacts, calendar and various other user data.
    Mail and other application dependent on this functionality will not work
    properly when this service is not running.

PimIndexMaintenanceSvc_3e64b Contact Data_3e64b

Indexes contact date for fast contact searching. If you stop or disable this
    serice, contacts might be missing from you search results.

UnistoreSvc_3e64b User Data Storage_3e64b

Handles storage of structed user data, including contact info, calendars,
    messages and other content. If you stop or disable this service, apps that use
    this data might work correctly.

UserDataSvc_3e64b User Data Access_3e64b

Provides apps with access to structured user data, including contact info,
    calendars, messages and other content. If you stop of disable this service,
    apps that use this data might not work correctly

Also has a https connection MS server, so looking it is OneDrive \ contacts related. Properly could do with some finishing touches on the service...

Monday, August 08, 2016 9:55 PM
  • But the trouble is, when you re start, there it is again, only under a different number at the end

stinkpipe

Friday, August 26, 2016 2:05 PM
  • After installing Windows 10 Anniversary update I also noticed this service. Actually I have the following:
    Service name: CDPUserSvc_701f6cb
    Display name: CDPUserSvc_701f6cb
    Description: <Failed to Read Description. Error Code: 15100 >

Startup type is set to Automatic. And when I try to change it to Manual or Disabled it doesn't let me do that - a pop-up is shown saying: "The parameter is incorrect".

UPDATE

Managed to disable this service in the registry (using regedit).

In the following key

I changed the "Start" value data from "2" (Automatic) to "4" (Disabled). Restarted and now it is disabled.

The only thing is that the number at the end is now different (CDPUserSvc_35375), but at least it is disabled now.

Thank you. I was searching for this :)
    • Proposed as answer by Vid1 Friday, September 30, 2016 4:38 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Vid1 Friday, September 30, 2016 4:38 AM
    Saturday, September 17, 2016 3:20 PM
  • There are numerous errors with this CDP service.  See for example this post:

http://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/65664-errors-connected-devices-platform-service-cdp-user-service-cdpusersvc.html

The MS folks need to fix this new thing - it's a mess.

glnzglnz
    ► In the office, Dell Optiplex 7010 with 4GB RAM, Win 7 Pro 32-bit and Office 2010.
    ► At home, Dell Optiplex 7010 with 16GB RAM dual-booting Win 7 Pro 64-bit (now with Office 365 Home) and Win 10 Pro 64-bit.
    ► Also still have Dell Optiplex 755 with 4GB RAM with Win XP Pro SP3 (which still gets updates with the POS hack) and Office 2003.

Sunday, October 02, 2016 2:42 PM
  • Mine reads "CDPUserSvc_2d79f5c", and when I try to change the Startup Type (disable, manual, etc), I get the error "The parameter is correct". Why doesn't Microsoft provide some metadata for these system-integrated services so that the user can read, right inside the Services applet, what the service is and what it does and, even better, how important it is- so that the user can 1) Understand it and 2) make an informed decision as to whether or not to disable it. Microsoft has always been, in my opinion, lazy about this. If you're going to expose these Services to the user, f****ng document it.
    • Proposed as answer by d4e666 Saturday, July 01, 2017 9:40 PM
    Monday, October 03, 2016 6:21 AM
  • I've also found similar services with that problem. 51335 is the number attached to mine, and i'm fairly certain that it's referencing the messaging app I removed from the system.
    Thursday, October 06, 2016 8:05 PM
  • I don't know what to say. it was about 2 weeks ago, i left my notebook turned on at night. Since my notebook lcd broken, i cannot see anything. I use LED TV to work with. I started turned on my notebook at around 8am. Then, system is updating. And yes, the worse update i have ever seen in my life.

My AV (Avira IS) automatically removed, replaced with uncontrollable firewall of nothing aka Windows Defender. My CCleaner was removed. Everything, runs slow, from startup, waiting for notification tray to finish, even for just Right-Click Refresh. It took many minutes.

Suspect: Windows 10 Unnecessary Update things.

For days looking on solution how to bring back my notebook to previous state (as i mention, i cannot see anything to do recovery since my LCD broken, and doing recovery thing cannot be seen when you are on LED TV HDMI mode).

And by doing your advise....Thank God...Everything back to normal. I did disabled those 2 CDPUserSvc and CDPUserSvc_####.

Thanks a lot.

• Proposed as answer by d4e666 Saturday, July 01, 2017 9:41 PM
    Wednesday, October 19, 2016 10:26 PM
  • In the following key

Good information. Thanks.

If you stop the service before editing the Registry, you don't actually have to restart the computer to realize the change. All you have to do it refresh the list of Services.

When you restart the computer, Windows changes the suffixes on all of the related services (svchost.exe -k UnistackSvcGroup). I have 7 different services that all have the same suffix. When I disabled the CDPUserSvc (and also the Contact Data service, because I don't use Windows Contacts), the suffix on all 7 of them was _7e9782. After restarting, all 7 of them now have the suffix _40a6a.

CDPUserSvc_40a6a (CDPUserSvc_40a6a)
      Contact Data_40a6a (PimIndexMaintenanceSvc_40a6a)
      MessagingService_40a6a (MessagingService_40a6a)
      Sync Host_40a6a (OneSyncSvc_40a6a)
      User Data Access_40a6a (UserDataSvc_40a6a)
      User Data Storage_40a6a (UnistoreSvc_40a6a)
      Windows Push Notifications User Service_40a6a (WpnUserService_40a6a)

I'm not sure what purpose the changing suffix serves, other than to prevent any apps from being able to programmatically modify the services - at least not easily anyway. But if that were the case, they would do that with all of Microsoft's services. So far I have not seen any ill effects from disabling the first two in that list, but we'll see if that continues.

• Edited by awgie dawgie Monday, October 24, 2016 11:25 AM Added information
    Monday, October 24, 2016 11:09 AM
  • If in case this is Microsoft service, then I think they messed up. No system service should contain "their" secret codes.

I think this is a build F***-up

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 12:09 PM
  • I don't think Microsoft is going to fix it they are to busy adding  features to windows then fixing it. LOL

Monday, November 07, 2016 2:26 AM
  • I seen the same services. When you delete them from the Registry, on reboot they re-seed the services with a new random hex end name. I thought for sure this was a Trojan. I formatted my workstation (ouch)<o:p></o:p>

I then downloaded a eval copy of Server 2016 and ran it in a VM and it replicated the same results. I don’t think MS using seeded services that descriptions can’t be read. It’s crappy coding.<o:p></o:p>

Tuesday, November 08, 2016 6:50 AM
  • I had CDPUserSvc_123ed8, from a Win 10 1609 installation [on a Dell laptop]. It showed up in the Services list, but wouldn't let me take it out; everything other than 'Automatic' was an error. However - your Regedit solution WORKED, so it's all good! Merry Christmas, tech folks. 

Sunday, December 25, 2016 3:34 PM
  • Thanks! Disabled or deleted all of them and the keylogger! I only game on this build I don't want all this bs. Once upgrading to anniversary edition I got hacked or some malware/virus took over my computer. Added user accounts, took permissions. So I'm trying to run a clean of an install as I can and not storing any passwords or credit card info. Doing all that from a different device with a VPN active.

Saturday, January 21, 2017 3:23 AM
  • Thanks! Disabled or deleted all of them and the keylogger! I only game on this build I don't want all this bs. Once upgrading to anniversary edition I got hacked or some malware/virus took over my computer. Added user accounts, took permissions. So I'm trying to run a clean of an install as I can and not storing any passwords or credit card info. Doing all that from a different device with a VPN active.

https://www.qubes-os.org/
    Tuesday, February 07, 2017 12:35 PM
  • Hello,

The CDPUserSvc is an NT User Service for this as an example:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/launch-resume/connected-apps-and-devices

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 6:27 PM
  • So I'm the self-taught IT tech here at the hacienda.  Been
    trying to get windows 10 to work right since Dec.  Can't get BITS to stay
    on long enough to run windows update and windows defender turns itself off all
    the time.  No leftover (previous) A/V - have run every removal tool I can
    find.  So, now that the entire world is being hacked, held for ransom, I'm
    trying to ensure this computer (my husband's) is updated.  It wasn't, of
    course.  But now I see this error y'all are discussing - first time I've
    noticed it.  I'm so sick of trying to repair windows for Microsoft by
    being its victim and researching all these problems.
    <o:p> </o:p>

Knowing that, has anyone any idea what in the heck I should do
    about this project rome ridiculosity?
    <o:p> </o:p>

Could it have anything to do with the BITS/Update/Defender
    ridiculosity?  Sure would appreciate any advice.  Thanks.

Saturday, May 13, 2017 6:17 PM
  • Instead of posting this kind of [stuff] SOLVE IT IF YOU DARE. Not only does this NOT even mention the question at hand, you AS MICROSOFT EMPLOYEE are even too stupid to ask your collegues what the REAL description is.
    Saturday, July 01, 2017 9:39 PM
  • right here is something I can reply to as most of the other stuff is trivial 

in the registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\CDPsvc

in here you will find CDPsvc

and under this you will find CDPsvc(yourname)(SOMENUMBERS)

and then 1 below this 

the trick is this the 2 below this are just added as a new install and really are not needed but in the line of safety export them anyway and save in a fold on you hard drive 

then delete the 2 below CDPsvc remember not to delete CDPsvc as this is vital to the system 

it has something to do with a simple control vector and has been added after the fact that the computer thinks that this is important this is not so and can slow the machine 

after removal reset the machine not only will you notice a slight speed increase but applications that didnt work before now do work 

I have found that CDPsvc is required to work but the other 2 are just there to slow the machine I do wish MS would get things right before  releasing stuff as it would make my life much easy 

Tuesday, July 11, 2017 8:48 AM
  • that didn't make any sense. 

I have have a terminal server with 100s of these an don't know what to do.. Think im going to log a case with Microsoft

Monday, July 31, 2017 5:20 AM
  • that didn't make any sense. 

I have have a terminal server with 100s of these an don't know what to do.. Think im going to log a case with Microsoft

Did you get a response? We are in the same boat
    Tuesday, August 01, 2017 10:13 PM
  • @infused, @Jimmywig what exactly are your problems?
    If you want to prevent these services from starting: the solution from ExNor worked on my systems.
    Wednesday, August 02, 2017 5:01 AM
  • @infused, @Jimmywig what exactly are your problems?
    If you want to prevent these services from starting: the solution from ExNor worked on my systems.

If we disable the service by registery we are unable to open Settings and Personalize. 

Friday, September 08, 2017 10:04 AM
  • my win10 hangs frequently.

perhaps it is relative to this services.

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 5:52 AM