none
Large unknown (invisible) file on C Drive RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

On a Windows 8 pro with WMC on C Drive (120GB SSD) windows reports 5 GB free BUT I have 50.6GB of unknown file

as reported by WinDirStat. 65 GB should be the correct size as per my usage.

I can't delete this unknown file as it does not show in file explorer or CMD prompt (dir listing)

Does anyone has this problem and how can I fix it ... I had this problem before, so did a clean install a week ago, my usage was about 65 GB and it has grown by itself ..

Many thanks

Sepp

Thanks Sepp

Saturday, March 30, 2013 10:44 AM

All replies

• Use TreeSizeFree instead:

http://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/

Look if it shows the pagefile.sys, hibernation.sys and swapfile.sys. The page and swapfile are used to increase the virtual memory, the hibernation.sys is used for hibernation and the new fastStart up of Windows 8.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Saturday, March 30, 2013 7:54 PM
  • I agree with Andre, I have seen WinDirStat display this exact anomaly before, and TreeSize doesn't have the issue. I no longer use WinDirStat. (well, in fact I never did use it, but others in my department used it and came to me to explain where this missing XX Gb had gone...)

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Saturday, March 30, 2013 9:32 PM
  • I agree with Andre, I have seen WinDirStat display this exact anomaly before, and TreeSize doesn't have the issue. I no longer use WinDirStat. (well, in fact I never did use it, but others in my department used it and came to me to explain where this missing XX Gb had gone...)

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Many thanks ... it was my synch folders from SBS 2011 ... I have now offloaded some very old stuff and I am back to normal

Many thanks again and I will recommend TreeSize ... much better

Thanks Sepp

Saturday, March 30, 2013 11:06 PM
  • Thanks Andre,   

First I've heard of TreeSize and it seems to be a pretty useful tool.  I don't think I'll replace WinDirStat with it, but I'll certainly add it to my toolbox.   

I discovered that the issue with the Unknown files is likely to occur in TreeSize too if it's not 'run as administrator'.   I believe that WinDirStat is reporting this because it sees a block of data used, but it can't access it to report on it.   

I re-ran WinDirStat as admin and the 'Unknown' files is empty.  I'm now seeing everything.   

Thanks again for the software tip.   

I'm not advocating violence. I'm just saying that it works, and I highly suggest using it.. Ninja

Monday, October 6, 2014 7:56 PM
  • TreeSize doesn't even show the <unknown> part that eats space, so I don't see how that app help solve this problem.
    Monday, October 21, 2019 5:41 AM
  • TreeSize won't help freeing the Unknown space.
    Thursday, October 31, 2019 9:26 AM