none
How to initialize a USB Hard Drive

Question

• I went thru the install of a USB hard drive on my Sony VAIO with Vista Home Premium.  The drive shows up in Device Manager and is said to be working properly, but the device is not initialized.  How do I initialize it?

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 10:57 PM

Answers

• The problem was solved by first installing the new drive in my desktop machine (with XP), and using Disk Manager to initialize it.  After that, it was easy to complete the installation process on the Sony VAIO. 

Thank you for all your kind assistance.

Friday, November 14, 2008 10:36 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Before going any further, I want to know how you said the device is not initialized. Do you mean that your USB hard disk is not listed in Computer windows explorer? Have a test on another computer and confirm whether your device works. If so, we should perform the following instructions to narrow down the issue.

Modify the Registry

1) Click the Start Button, type regedit in the Start Search box and then press Enter.

2) Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}

3) Right click the {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000} entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4) Highlight this key ({36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}), on the right pane, and then check if Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5) Please repeat the above steps to delete Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value for the following entry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{25DBCE51-6C8F-4A72-8A6D-B54C2B4FC835}

6) Restart the computer

Remove and reinstall USB device

1) Click the Start Button, type devmgmt.msc in the Start Search box and press Enter.

2) Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers

3) Right click the apple device, and click Uninstall.

4) Then, please restart the computer. In the Device Manager, click the Scan for hardware changes button on the toolbar and let it scan your computer.

5) When the system finds the new device, please download and install the latest driver (Vista compatible) if necessary.

Hope it works!

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 10:16 AM

• I have a HP dv5-1010us with Vista home premium 64-bit. Last night my laptop began to freeze while I transferred files between 2 external USB hard drives. I tried to reboot and unplug both usb drives (couldn't go to the safe removal) and then the next thing I know after rebooting is:

1. Every time I plug in the Maxtor onetouch II 300gb drive, windows automatically installs the driver and says ready to use. But it's only recognized as "usb mass storage" in device manager under "USB", recognized as Maxtor under "disk drives", BUT cannot be seen in My Computer. In the disk management, it's shown as "uninitiliazed" and "unallocated". There's no way I can assign the letter path even though I can manually initialize it every time I open disk management. No matter how many times I uninstall this device the same thing happens after I reboot and replug.

2. Every time I plug in the Western Digital my Book Office edition WD10000H1B 1tb drive, windows automatically installs the driver and says ready to use. HOWEVER, it's NOT recognized as "usb mass storage" in device manager under "USB", is recognized as WD under "disk drives" BUT automatically says DISABLED and I cannot enable, and of course cannot be seen in My Computer. It's NOT even shown in the disk management. No matter how No matter how many times I uninstall this device the same thing happens after I reboot and replug.

3. So I tried a trouble shooting provided online:
    1.       In the run command (Start menu bar) type "regedit" to bring up the Registry Editor.
    2.       In Registry Editor, navigate to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    3.       In the details pane, double-click DevicePath.
    4.       Add a semi-colon to end of the existing text, and then add the path to %SystemRoot%\System32. The result should be similar to: %SystemRoot%\inf;%SystemRoot%\System32
    Do not remove the %SystemRoot%\inf file path from the DevicePath registry entry.
    5.       Click OK to save the new value, and then close Registry Editor.
    6.       Delete “INFCACH.1” FROM C:\Windows and C:\Windows\Inf Directories (if it exists)
    7.       Ensure that there is a copy of the usbstor.inf file in C:\Windows\Inf
    If there isn’t – follow the below steps:
    a)      From another Vista system (copy it out of another Vista system and copy it directly into the C:\Windows\inf directory
    OR
    b)      From the problem machine, run Command Prompt ( as administrator). From C:\ do a dir usbstor.inf /s  . Wherever the file is found, go to that directory and copy all the files located in that directory to C:\Windows\inf directory
    8.       Open device manager, uninstall all unknown devices (right click, uninstall) so they all disappear from the list

That DID NOT work! First of all INFCACH.1 is only found in C:\Windows\Inf. Second I even copied all the files under the newest directory where the usbstor.inf is. The extactly same problems for both drives (see above) still occur.

4. Then I tried the steps to modify registry in  {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000} and {25DBCE51-6C8F-4A72-8A6D-B54C2B4FC835}:
    Modify the Registry

1) Click the Start Button, type regedit in the Start Search box and then press Enter.

2) Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}

3) Right click the {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000} entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4) Highlight this key ({36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}), on the right pane, and then check if Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5) Please repeat the above steps to delete Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value for the following entry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{25DBCE51-6C8F-4A72-8A6D-B54C2B4FC835}

6) Restart the computer

Remove and reinstall USB device

1) Click the Start Button, type devmgmt.msc in the Start Search box and press Enter.

2) Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers

3) Right click the apple device, and click Uninstall.

4) Then, please restart the computer. In the Device Manager, click the Scan for hardware changes button on the toolbar and let it scan your computer.

In  {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}, I only see Default, Class, ClassDesc, IconPath, LowerlogoVersion, and NoInstallClass. In {25DBCE51-6C8F-4A72-8A6D-B54C2B4FC835}, I only see Default, Class, ClassDesc, IconPath, and NoInstallClass.

In that case, I CANNOT modify the registry by deleting the filter values.

I've done everything to troubleshoot but with no luck yet. My other USB drives and flash sticks still work and install just right when I plug them in the same USB ports.

Please help! I've tried trouble shooting all night long but no luck yet. These 2 drives have very important data that I just cannot format the drives. Thanks so much!

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 12:24 PM
  • Hi Andy, and thank you for the kind advice.

First I will answer your questions before proceeding with the Registry modifications (which sounds scary).

-In Vista Device Manager, I double clicked on the device and then chose Volumes, then Populate.  The resulting screen shows the correct volume and Status "Not Initialized".  It also shows Disk:  "Disk 2" and Type:  "Unknown".

-The device is not listed in Computer (My Computer in XP).

-I get the same results using my desktop computer using XP SP2.  I was wrong in first assuming it must be a Vista-related problem.

The drive Is a Seagate Barracuda 500GB (SATA).

Should I still proceed with the Registry modification you suggest?

Thank you again,

Travis in Texas

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 2:38 PM
  • ...had the same problem when trying to initialize a new HD thru USB on Vista laptop.

Connected to desktop (Win XP), Disk Management initialised & formatted the disk without problem. Easier than tinkering with the registry...

Hope this helps..

Thursday, November 13, 2008 12:09 AM
  • the same problem with you

http://www.babatek.com

Thursday, November 13, 2008 2:20 AM
  • If your operating system is Windows XP, you should submit a new thread on Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) Thanks for your time and understanding!

Thursday, November 13, 2008 10:23 AM
  • The problem was solved by first installing the new drive in my desktop machine (with XP), and using Disk Manager to initialize it.  After that, it was easy to complete the installation process on the Sony VAIO. 

Thank you for all your kind assistance.

Friday, November 14, 2008 10:36 PM
  • I'm having the same problem with a WD 500GB Passport.  The procedure described above had no effect at all.
    Friday, October 07, 2011 2:17 PM