none
Multiple user accounts won't use same wireless network connection RRS feed

• Question

• I have a wireless access point and a windows 7 computer with a wireless adaptor. I've set up a connection for a user account which works fine. The issue is, under other user accounts on the same computer I can't establish a connection with the same AP. 

Steps: Standard steps for establishing a wireless connection, SSID and password were entered manually because SSID broadcasting is turned off on the AP. It worked immediately under my account. If that matters, I once changed the adaptor and repeated the procedure. At this stage I remember there appeared a record (profile) in the wireless networks list in Control Panel/Networking. Later on I created more user accounts on my computer. For them, the network id was seen in the list of networks for the adaptor and I could connect to it but it died out in a split second. I thought it would be wise to start from scratch and deleted the network profile. To my astonishment I still could (and can) see the network in the list of the avaliable networks for the adaptor and connect to it. The same picture is for the other user accounts: I see the network, can connect to it but the connection drops in less than a sec. The troubleshooting says the issue is the connection was dropped manually and recommends to wait some time and then try again. Adding a profile for the network manually again doesn't change anything.

I expected that after I would delete the network profile I wouldn't see the network anymore. As it happens, the credentials for this network are somehow stored implicitly without showing up in the network list. My thought was to find this storage be it xml file or registry, and edit it manually, but I'm not able to find a trace of it.  Can someone advise me on that? I tried hard to search for a similar case to no avail.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 7:35 PM

Answers

• Hello Somge,

Thanks for your post.

Based on your description, the wireless network on your computer only works for the first user account. The wireless network immediately lose connection when other user accounts try to use it. 

From my experience, this is not a normal behavior on Windows 7 computer. This is possibly caused by 3rd party software that is not supported in multiple user environment. A similar issue is discussed below:

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/31482-windows-7-other-user-accounts-wireless-connection.html

If the network adpater driver shipped software is used instead of the Windows Network and Sharing Center, please disable it and use Windows shipped one instead. Let us know the result if possible. 

Thanks.

Regards,
    Miya Yao

• Marked as answer by Somge Thursday, July 22, 2010 9:00 PM
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 2:58 PM

All replies

• Hello Somge,

Thanks for your post.

Based on your description, the wireless network on your computer only works for the first user account. The wireless network immediately lose connection when other user accounts try to use it. 

From my experience, this is not a normal behavior on Windows 7 computer. This is possibly caused by 3rd party software that is not supported in multiple user environment. A similar issue is discussed below:

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/31482-windows-7-other-user-accounts-wireless-connection.html

If the network adpater driver shipped software is used instead of the Windows Network and Sharing Center, please disable it and use Windows shipped one instead. Let us know the result if possible. 

Thanks.

Regards,
    Miya Yao

• Marked as answer by Somge Thursday, July 22, 2010 9:00 PM
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 2:58 PM
  • Dear Miya Yao,

not only did it work, but the model of the adapter I use is absolutely the same that was cited in the link: D-Link G DWA-510.

Thanks a lot!

• Edited by Somge Friday, July 23, 2010 12:25 PM grammar fix
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 8:59 PM