none
What happens to my XP upgrade license after I install Win? RRS feed

• Question

• My PC has WinXP Prof upgrade installed, based on a full Win98 disk.
    Let's say I now install Win7 Prof upgrade.
    What would happen if I install XP Prof on another computer? Or is the XP license now defunct and will be rejected when I try to validate it on the other computer?
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 8:16 PM

Answers

• Hi Leo854:
         The Win7 Upgrade will assume the license of your previous XP Prof installation and should you re-install XP Prof again validation will show that "your license is already in use"......meaning it's now being used by the Windows 7 installation.  To continue to use your XP Professional license you would have to buy either an additional full retail version of Windows7 or an OEM version.
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 8:50 PM
  • Is this for retail versions of XP or only OEM versions?

Either version.  You can no longer use the qualifying Windows XP license by itself again unless you uninstall Windows 7 Upgrade by reformatting the hard drive.
    Carey Frisch
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 3:58 PM

All replies

• Hi Leo854:
         The Win7 Upgrade will assume the license of your previous XP Prof installation and should you re-install XP Prof again validation will show that "your license is already in use"......meaning it's now being used by the Windows 7 installation.  To continue to use your XP Professional license you would have to buy either an additional full retail version of Windows7 or an OEM version.
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 8:50 PM

Thursday, July 2, 2009 3:38 PM

Either version.  You can no longer use the qualifying Windows XP license by itself again unless you uninstall Windows 7 Upgrade by reformatting the hard drive.
    Carey Frisch
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 3:58 PM
  • OK, Carey, thanks. Now I am wondering...what happens if I have problems and have to revert to Windows XP on the same machine?
    Example: I ran the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor and it fingered several drivers and said they would need updates from Windows Update once Win7 was installed. If there are none, I will have to go back to Windows XP until there are...
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 8:09 PM