none
0xc00000e9 error boot vista

Question

• I am running a dual-boot system with Windows XP Pro and Vista Ultimate x64 SP1. This is a new build, but the problem I am having I think has stemmed not from hardware incompatibility or bad installation.  My memory is fine, and so are my two hard drives. This problem has manifested much later, when my computer was running fine.  However, somewhere along the line something happened and the computer failed to boot.  BIOS boots along with POST, but Vista fails to load, although XP does, and shows this message.

"Windows failed to start.  A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.  To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.

2. Choose your language settings, and click "Next."

3. Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \Windows\system32\config\system

Info:  Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing, or corrupt.

I can follow the "repair your computer", and Vista loads again.  However, this has been, without a doubt, a definitively temporary fix.  This ordeal happens again the few next times I power up my computer.  I strongly believe that either a virus has corrupted my registry, or that the following Microsoft updates have crashed my computer, which I have uninstalled to no avail, and that which the problem didn't exist before and in fact began immediately after I restarted the computer to finish configuration:

Security Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB953155)

Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB957200)

Whether these are to blame or not still makes them, well, point to some problem that I and, as far as I have looked, others are having the same problems with.  Both updates failed to install, initially.  Either way, I would desperately like an opinion on this, and whether this means yet another clean install or not, so I can back up my data and get on with my life and not have to worry about a vista registry when I have hordes of paperwork to finish.

Thank you so much,

ghost_p780

Wednesday, November 05, 2008 10:50 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The issue first occurred after installing some update packages; you might perform a system restore.

System Restore

1) Before we start, please close all open files and close all open programs.

2) Click Start; click All Programs; click Accessories; click System Tools; and click System Restore. The System Restore user interface should appear.

3) Click Next.

4) From the restore points available, select an appropriate restore point before problem occurs and click Next.

5) Click Next again. The restore process will run and your system will restart automatically.

For more information, please refer to the article below:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/9f6d755a-74bb-4a7d-a625-d762dd8e79e51033.mspx

in addition, please test this issue in Windows Clean Boot mode. A Clean Boot will allow us to isolate any device drivers or programs that are loading at startup that may be causing a conflict with other device drivers or programs that are installed in your computer.

Start Windows in Clean Boot mode

Note: You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group to complete this procedure.

1) Click Start.

2) Copy and paste "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and click Enter.

3) Switch to Services tab and then Check Hide All Microsoft Services.

4) Click Disable All.

5) Switch to the Startup tab and then Click Disable All.

6) Click OK.

7) Click Restart to restart the computer and test the issue.

If the problem does not occur, it indicates that the problem is related to one application or service we have disabled. You can use the MSCONFIG tool again to re-enable the disabled item one by one to find out the culprit.

Hope it works!

Friday, November 07, 2008 9:06 AM

All replies

• Hi

As long a syou can start Vista, I would suggest performing an upgrade installation from within Windows.

This will completely rebuild the system and should not have any effect on the installed programs or your data.

Although this is a safe procedure, you should still have all of your personal data backed up.

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Thursday, November 06, 2008 4:32 AM
  • Hi,

The issue first occurred after installing some update packages; you might perform a system restore.

System Restore

1) Before we start, please close all open files and close all open programs.

2) Click Start; click All Programs; click Accessories; click System Tools; and click System Restore. The System Restore user interface should appear.

3) Click Next.

4) From the restore points available, select an appropriate restore point before problem occurs and click Next.

5) Click Next again. The restore process will run and your system will restart automatically.

For more information, please refer to the article below:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/9f6d755a-74bb-4a7d-a625-d762dd8e79e51033.mspx

in addition, please test this issue in Windows Clean Boot mode. A Clean Boot will allow us to isolate any device drivers or programs that are loading at startup that may be causing a conflict with other device drivers or programs that are installed in your computer.

Start Windows in Clean Boot mode

Note: You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group to complete this procedure.

1) Click Start.

2) Copy and paste "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and click Enter.

3) Switch to Services tab and then Check Hide All Microsoft Services.

4) Click Disable All.

5) Switch to the Startup tab and then Click Disable All.

6) Click OK.

7) Click Restart to restart the computer and test the issue.

If the problem does not occur, it indicates that the problem is related to one application or service we have disabled. You can use the MSCONFIG tool again to re-enable the disabled item one by one to find out the culprit.

Hope it works!

Friday, November 07, 2008 9:06 AM
  • Hi there.

Im getting the same error as ghost does. I got Windows Vista Home Premium and I dont run dual versions.

Now it is the second time I had to format my comp and reinstall windows.

After first reinstall of windows i only updated the comp and divers and then got the downloaded the mouse drivers (Razer diamondback) and installed world of warcraft and updated. Then after 2 weeks I got the same problem again.

Now this may sound silly but when i first noticed the problem before first reinstall my comp started to make random "click" sounds then freeze for a 1-2 sec then go on. Then the startup files were damaged and i could not start the comp. The same thing happend after first reinstall and i have tried to repair with the CD and also tried to send the comp back to a earlier point to see if it worked. Nothing helped.

Now i have installed windows vista again and the comp is updateing atm.

I would be very glad to get some info what to do so I dont get this problem again. Reinstalling everything every 2 weeks is not acceptable.

//Maust

Sunday, November 23, 2008 6:00 AM
  • Same problem as well. Although I am on x-86 so I think you can probably rule out the updates causing the problem. I have also reinstalled on a separate hard drive to determine if it was a hard drive error. At first it didn't happen, but no it is happening again every few days. I have to perform a start-up repair for a temporary fix which is really annoying. Almost everytime this happens, my computer first freezes and is non-responsive. Once I restart, this problem occurs.

Anyone find a solution?

Can we pinpoint it to some hardware? Im running:

Core2Quad Q6600
    2 Hitachi HDP725050GLA SCSI - 500G
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS
    NVIDIA nFORCE 680iLT
    OCZ Dual Channel 4096MB PC5400

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 1:43 PM
  • This does not help those of us that can't even get into our computers to get to the start menu!!! I am on Windows 7 that we bought from staples - didn't come with installation disk...so what am I suppose to do?!?!?!?
    Friday, December 11, 2009 3:52 PM
  • I am having the exact same problem!

I can t start my computer and it didn't come with the installation disk!

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 4:49 PM
  • I got this issue under Vista, had to reformat to get rid of it, yet it happened again, so another format.

Finally moved to using Windows 7, and then in December 2009 it happened again.

I installed new hard drives to rule them out as the Memory, CPU and GPU are okay.

2 Weeks later it happened again, it now happens every 1-2 months.

One thing i have noticed is along with the click sounds and freezing, is that the event log is full of failed to perform raid events. Problem is raid is disabled in bios, and i have never used or configured the system to raid.

So either windows 7 does not like the 780i motherboard, or the motherboard is dying :(

Monday, April 26, 2010 12:28 AM