none
BSOD Driver IRQL Less than or not equal to

Question

• I've been trying to install the 64 bit version of windows 7 rc.  when booting from the cd, it goes through 2 loading files screens, then the black starting windows screen, after a brief pause it does to a blue screen of death.  With a Driver irql less then or not equal to.  and lists storport.sys at the bottom for the reason.

Ive been searching, and found in vista this was a problem with nvidia chipsets(i have), and more than 2 gigs of ram(i have 4).  I'm going to try removing a stick of ram to see if it gets past it, but could there be any other problems causing it.  I also ran the extensive windows memory test, 1 pass through it found no errors.

Asus p5n 32 e sli
    4 gigs of ram corsair
    nvdia 8600 gts
    wd velociraptor partioned 70 gigs for w7 rc
    core 2 due e4400 2.0ghz
    Tuesday, June 02, 2009 12:56 AM

Answers

• Problem fixed, finally.

Updated my bios to the newest version.  I bought ram that wasn't (and i believe still isn't) on the qualified vendor list for my mobo.  It was a new egg daily deal, and although wasn't on the list, it ran fine with no problems.  Installed xp with it a few months ago, went smooth.  It even passed the microsoft memory diagnostic tests fine on the windows 7 cd, even the extensive testing.

The new bios listed improved memory compatibility, so I figured it was worth a shot.  Its weird that it would work fine for everything except installing windows 7.

In either case, I have windows 7 64 bit installed now, with a nice ripe 8 gigs of ram.
    • Marked as answer by axfelix Friday, June 05, 2009 1:32 AM
    Thursday, June 04, 2009 10:08 PM

All replies

• xxxPigeonxxx,

There are several posts in this forum about removing memory, so yes, that's a good place to start. If you let the install check for updates, there are some new(ish) Nvidia chipset drivers.
    Tuesday, June 02, 2009 1:24 AM
    Answerer
  • The installer never actually starts. so I don't have the option to let it check for updates
    Tuesday, June 02, 2009 1:46 AM
  • Oh. did you already try removing the ram?
    Tuesday, June 02, 2009 1:47 AM
    Answerer
  • I removed 1 stick of ram, leaving 2 gigs left(lowest amount i have) and after waiting for 30 minutes, i made it to the installer(I fear that ill never be able to experience all the fast installs of windows 7 betas i read about).  Even then the installer went slow as anything, and give me a missing CD/DVD driver problem.  I'm assuming it meant SATA driver.  As both my cd drives and HDD are all sata, and it was only letting me browse the old PATA hdd, that i dont use anymore.  My asus p5n 32 3 sli has 2 driver cds, 1 for xp, and 1 for vista upgrade, i can slap the drivers on a flash drive if I know what one too look for exactly, but I dont have the patience to stare at a starting windows and pretty blue background screen for 30 minutes each, every install attempt.
    Tuesday, June 02, 2009 3:08 AM
  • Go into your BIOS and see wether the settings concerning boot drive and active drive look OK and logical and like how you are planning to install Windows7 on the drive(s).

Windows 7 is relying on these settings, and if a configuration error is present it doesn't know what to do and asks for drivers. Can be dismissed when the BIOS settings are OK.
    Tuesday, June 02, 2009 7:56 AM
  • In my computer, I have 2 harddrives, an old IDE seagate, it has an install of XP on it, but I dont use it anymore, and I never got around to cleaning anything I might still want off of it.  Then I have a WD Velociraptor, which I put in front of the seagate in my bois, so ill boot from the Raptor.  I partitioned 70 gigs off the Raptor for win 7.  Im not a partioning expert, and accordning to PartionMagic, its an extended primary partition, and then has a logical partition inside of that making it disk g right now.  Should I just have left it as unallocated space? 
    Tuesday, June 02, 2009 4:18 PM
  • Set indeed the first boot priority to this disk you want to install unto. If you don't use the other drive, I suggest you physically remove it from the PC.

Then use only the Windows7 setup to partition the drive with, not partition magic. Let setup do the work.
    Choose Advanced/Custom install when prompted so you get the partioning window during setup. Also see the options you have there.
    Mostly it will do leaving the scheme as it is, but you should be able to review your choices before Setup starts the boiling!
    Tuesday, June 02, 2009 4:24 PM
  • I occasionally still boot from the old harddrive, but Ill see if I can disable the IDE port in bios for the install.  I used partition magic to do a right to left partition of the raptor to make room for win 7, before that the whole hdd belonged to xp.  Ill try unallocation the partition for 7, and disabling the IDE port and give this installation another go.
    Tuesday, June 02, 2009 7:13 PM
  • OK, good luck!

The IRQL error message you mentioned earlier sounded familiar to me already - remembered it from past times. It happened with XP a lot.
    In the Microsoft knowledge base there are still some articles on it, but they say to be related to XP and Server 2003 indeed only.
    They state it can have something to do with third party storage managment software conflicting (your partition manager?)

There are options for you left: remove the XP HDD physically and use it in another PC for instance to sort out your docs. Or dedicate this or another machine to the RC testing of Windows 7.
    Tuesday, June 02, 2009 7:45 PM
  • I have 2 xp harddrives, Im going to dual boot 7,  Im a college computer sci major, so a stable, working pc is something I cant live without.  The driver IRQL BSOD stopped when removing 2 gigs of ram and only leaving 2 in there.  Ill try disabling my IDE port to see if that helps, and having my chipset SATA drivers on USB to see if thatll help.
    Tuesday, June 02, 2009 7:49 PM
  • Deactivated my old IDE harddrive, removed 2 gigs of ram, leaving only 2 in there.  Still cant install windows 7.  Its sata drivers refuse to work with my system, so this time, when it got to the cd/dvd driver missing, I installed them.  When it came to where to install, windows 7 still refuses to see my sata hdd.  after installing the sata drivers for xp and vista 64 (didnt have vista 32 with me) and drivers for anything else on my mobo, it finally BSOD "reference by pointer".

Windows 7 rc, is not a release canidate, its media hype.  If they seriously plan on releasing this, they must be retarded.
    Wednesday, June 03, 2009 3:31 PM
  • Not such a negative attitude..... it is working already on millions of workstation around the globe.

I'm sure this thread can help you:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/GettingReadyforWindows7/thread/25d3d3e7-4e50-4bb4-9804-320121b8ce2a/?lc=1033

Good luck and heads up!
    Wednesday, June 03, 2009 4:49 PM
  • That thread doesn't seem to fix my problem.  So far win 7 RC still has 2 fatal errors on my system

With more than 2gb of ram installed, (nvidia chipset), it fails to make it to the installer with a BSOD.  This was a documented problem in vista.

The installer does not see my Sata HDD.  Even when I installed the drivers in the installer, my 2 sata DVD drives showed up, but still could not recognize my HDD.
    Wednesday, June 03, 2009 6:51 PM
  • What I can recommend is you keep the machine's config a bit more "simple" for the installer to be more comfortable with it.

Use an old systembuilder trick:
    - remove all physical hardware devices from the m/b you can remove, make it completely naked
    - start up the system with the installer with as little as hardware connected as possible
    - when it is OK, shut down, add 1 other hardware piece
    - when that's OK too, add another and repeat this cycle for as many hardware you want to connect

This makes it possible to diagnose on which hardware config exactly the installer fails or at which point you get the "irql less or equal" error.

Also make a note for yourself what your default BIOS configuration is, so you can play around with the options and later revert back to them.

Remember, this RC is a testing system. This is not the RTM yet. We should deploy it as such and only use it for testing deployments. As such it is great (and for free) - at least here it goes like a sun.

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 7:04 PM
  • My system is pretty bare bone as much as it can be.  only thing that isn't required in the sound card.  I need the graphics card, and both dvd drives are the same make.  Everything not being used is pretty much disabled in bios.

There is an option in my bios that im not sure if changing will help, is if win 7 is a plug and play os.  Currently i have it set to no so bios handles booting devices with no boot config. 
    Wednesday, June 03, 2009 7:37 PM
  • disabled in the BIOS Ok, but still attached to the m/b? That is still taking up those IRQL resources.....

Of course Win7 is and needs P&P. Doesn't seem logic to me to turn that feature off. Before an OS is and can be loaded, the system has to check itself routinely and load it's config into memory. When you set that to no, in fact you don't use the resources that system has because you are forcing the system not to recognize what it is capable of.

IRQL not less or Equal is a serious problem that has to do with how the OS - in this case Windows 7 - and your hardware are working together. Prepare the hardware part physically first (yes, I mean also with opening the case and check the anatomical structure) , planned with the devices you want to take advantage of, then set the BIOS to match with that plan and make room for the OS, install the OS and enjoy the complete picture.

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 7:49 PM
  • I was under the impression disabling devices in the bios stops them from taking up IRQL resources, and in either case i only disabled unused ports.  the only one i disabled that i have still have something plugged into is my IDE channel.

the irql less than or not equal only seems to show up when i have 4 gigs installed.

so if ignoring that for now, next time i try to install, what else should i try to get win 7 to recognize my hdd
    Wednesday, June 03, 2009 9:45 PM
  • 1. disconnect the power cable and ide cable from your ide drive.

2. Check your bios in the advance section and see if it is set for IDE or AHCI?  Set it to AHCI for SATA.

3 Leave only one memory stick in system.

Asus P5Q3 Deluxe WiFi, Intel E8500 processor, 8gb DDR3 Gskill, Evga Nvidia Geforce 9800GT 512mb, onboard Marvel lan, onboard Ralink Wifi, Onboard Soundmax, 1 500gb Sata 2 hard drive, 1 sata DVD drive. Win Bus 64, Win 7 64, Mac os x 10.5.7 Please return to forum and post your results.
    Wednesday, June 03, 2009 10:03 PM

• 2. Check your bios in the advance section and see if it is set for IDE or AHCI?  Set it to AHCI for SATA.

the only 2 options I can find for the Sata is
    Extended IDE Drive (Auto / none)
    access mode (auto / large)
    Thursday, June 04, 2009 1:16 AM
  • xxxPigeonxxx,

Try the access mode setting.
    Thursday, June 04, 2009 2:08 AM
    Answerer
  • the access mode only changes the cylinder and head sizes
    Thursday, June 04, 2009 2:38 AM
  • did you already try to run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor under your current system?
    Thursday, June 04, 2009 7:58 AM
  • Problem fixed, finally.

Updated my bios to the newest version.  I bought ram that wasn't (and i believe still isn't) on the qualified vendor list for my mobo.  It was a new egg daily deal, and although wasn't on the list, it ran fine with no problems.  Installed xp with it a few months ago, went smooth.  It even passed the microsoft memory diagnostic tests fine on the windows 7 cd, even the extensive testing.

The new bios listed improved memory compatibility, so I figured it was worth a shot.  Its weird that it would work fine for everything except installing windows 7.

In either case, I have windows 7 64 bit installed now, with a nice ripe 8 gigs of ram.
    • Marked as answer by axfelix Friday, June 05, 2009 1:32 AM
    Thursday, June 04, 2009 10:08 PM
  • Chipsed overheating and disconnections on ALL Asus nvidia board where is no better type heatsink as heatpiped deluxe series. Very low heating will cause bsod:s from any chip on bus. I had this problem also in M4 series ... Get FAN for chipset. All these M2N series board will die from joinings of chipset. Nvidia stopped productions of mainboad chipset just after people find out this killing trick of consumer devices ( just work until warranty was out).

Also P4-P5 FET transistors was usually killed by overheat and they are under heatsink on new models, causes usually kernel power error also just from 42 Celsius in monitoring .. it is also usual that bsod appears after some time after rised from standby mode. Just quality problem and I recommend to modify cooling of boards if it is unstable and makes random bsods as like after several hours even.

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 12:38 AM