compare exchange 128 issue RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to install windows 8.1 or 10 preview with processor (Intel E8400 core2duo 3.0ghz) but an issue of compare exchange 128 exist.

I tried by downgrading with my old processor back to (Intel E4600 core2duo 2.4ghz) which i have in spare , it works.

Why it isn't working with E8400 processor which has much better specification than E4600.

:(

Wednesday, March 18, 2015 7:46 AM

Answers

• Hello KRISHNA NAIR,

Do you receive error message ‘You can’t install Windows 8,1 because your processor doesn’t support CompareExchange 128’?

This is the hardware devices compatibility issue, to receive better support, it is recommended to contact the manufacturer.

Best regards,
    Fangzhou CHEN

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Karen Hu Tuesday, March 31, 2015 9:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by Karen Hu Thursday, April 2, 2015 10:16 AM
    Thursday, March 19, 2015 8:00 AM
  • I would recommend setting your BIOS to defaults after installation of the new processor. My research indicates that CMPXCHG16B is supported on the Intel Core 2 Duo E8400. Your BIOS may contain the ability to enable or disable this function and it may need to be enabled explicitly. You can also determine if it is visible with CoreInfo, the item is CX16.

Brandon
    Windows Outreach Team- IT Pro
    Windows for IT Pros on TechNet

• Proposed as answer by Karen Hu Thursday, April 2, 2015 10:16 AM
    Tuesday, March 31, 2015 9:52 PM

All replies

• Hello KRISHNA NAIR,

Do you receive error message ‘You can’t install Windows 8,1 because your processor doesn’t support CompareExchange 128’?

This is the hardware devices compatibility issue, to receive better support, it is recommended to contact the manufacturer.

Best regards,
    Fangzhou CHEN

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Karen Hu Tuesday, March 31, 2015 9:24 AM
    Thursday, March 19, 2015 8:00 AM
  • I would recommend setting your BIOS to defaults after installation of the new processor. My research indicates that CMPXCHG16B is supported on the Intel Core 2 Duo E8400. Your BIOS may contain the ability to enable or disable this function and it may need to be enabled explicitly. You can also determine if it is visible with CoreInfo, the item is CX16.

Brandon
    Windows Outreach Team- IT Pro
    Windows for IT Pros on TechNet

• Proposed as answer by Karen Hu Thursday, April 2, 2015 10:16 AM
    Tuesday, March 31, 2015 9:52 PM
  • hi

thanks for guidance, but still its unresolved.

my coreinfo shows cx16 is supported by my processor.

and i am only able to make out its bios which is stuck in not letting me install 8.1  

my board is original intel dg31pr

but the trick is its LG manufactured PC, and i got this board n processor only from  a friend.

and in bios i dont see any option explicitly giving enable/disable function for cx16.

plz guide how to update bios or enable in this bios setup so that i can install win 8.1 or win 10

Sunday, October 18, 2015 7:10 PM
  • I tried installing windows 8 84x (32bit version) and it worked. Try it......
    Tuesday, October 20, 2015 4:07 PM
  • If you need stil i can help you, juts need a new BIOS i have one whit updated processor microcodes. I just updated and resolved today i can send you if you want fheraf@outlook.com email me and a i send you the BIOS also download from AMI BIOS web site the latest AFUWIN utility
    • Edited by Fherskull Monday, January 30, 2017 3:49 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Briseis Charming Tuesday, February 21, 2017 8:58 PM
    Monday, January 30, 2017 3:47 AM
  • I have same error can you send me microcode and bios for X5460 with a mod for 775 socket?
    Sunday, May 28, 2017 12:25 PM