none
Windows System Image Manager Version 10.0.10240.16384 Errors RRS feed

• Question

• I just tried to load a Windows 10 RTM image into WSIM and got the following errors. I also Re-downloaded and reinstalled the Windows 10 WDK just in case. same problem though. 

Here is the log file. Note the other error at the top. That happens to be the exact version i am running already. Maybe it's confused?

4:19 PM : This application requires version 10.0.10240.16384 of the Windows ADK.
    Install this version to correct the problem
    4:19 PM : 
    4:19 PM : Error opening Windows image at H:\sources\install.wim.

4:19 PM : 
    4:19 PM : System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format
       at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.WimFileHandle..ctor(String wimPath)
       at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.WimInfo..ctor(String wimPath)
       at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.Cpi.OpenWim(String wimPath)
       at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ImagePicker.GetImageInfoFromPath(String path)
       at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ImagePicker.ValidateImageFileOrFolder(String fileOrFolder)
    4:21 PM : 
    4:21 PM : Error opening Windows image at C:\Users\User\Desktop\New folder\sources\install.wim.

4:21 PM : 
    4:21 PM : System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format
       at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.WimFileHandle..ctor(String wimPath)
       at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.WimInfo..ctor(String wimPath)
       at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.Cpi.OpenWim(String wimPath)
       at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ImagePicker.GetImageInfoFromPath(String path)
       at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ImagePicker.ValidateImageFileOrFolder(String fileOrFolder)

Yeah Buddy!

Wednesday, July 29, 2015 9:34 PM

Answers

• Other have reported that the free RM download will not work. You have to use the ISO from Volume Licensing or MSDN.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

• Marked as answer by Jay.lambert Monday, August 10, 2015 7:21 PM
    Friday, August 7, 2015 2:44 PM

All replies

• I will presume that the version of imgmgr.exe is what it is looking for. There was a new ADK that came out (I guess) which was posted here:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a31d1dee-8f00-44c8-bf3f-e068d183b65e/windows-adk-for-windows-10-july-2015-now-available?forum=win10itprosetup

• Proposed as answer by Allen_WangJF Monday, August 3, 2015 10:01 AM
    Thursday, July 30, 2015 8:32 PM
  • It's weird - your error from WSIM says your image is at C:\Users\blah blah blah, but the error log is reporting H:\sources\install.wim

I believe 0x80004005 is an Access Denied error, are you sure you'll pulling from the right location?  Something seems off here...

• Edited by Q-Tech Thursday, July 30, 2015 9:03 PM
    Thursday, July 30, 2015 9:03 PM
  • I started getting this error message also, it started happening once I included Avast anti-virus into my Windows 8.1 image, that could be your issue if you are running any type anti-virus software other then Microsoft own anti-virus in your image. I turn of the self protection mode in the anti-virus software, but it did not resolve my issue. I will remove it completely from my image and re-capture it and I will let you know what happens. All of my other Images without it works fine.
    Friday, July 31, 2015 4:13 AM
  • Hi Jay,

i know what's your problem here, i also tested by myself.

You don't have a real WIM File here. 

It's the ESD (Electronic Software Delivery) File Format but it's unfortunatly not visible on the file name. It should have the ESD Extension.

This ESD files have stronger compression as the WIM File Types, but cannot be used with Tools like DISM and obviously also WSIM. 

So first you have to convert this ESD Format to the WIM Format. I would suggest simply rename the Install.wim to Install.esd first and then execute the following PowerShell Script described here:

http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/399/How-to-REALLY-create-a-Windows-10-ISO-no-3rd-party-tools-needed

Before you run the script, you have to copy the OSCDIMG.EXE from the ADK to the place, mentioned in the script. It can be found here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Deployment Tools\amd64\Oscdimg

If you got this ISO at the end, you can find the Install.WIM in the sources directory. This should work then fine in WSIM.

• Edited by Michael-CM Friday, July 31, 2015 8:54 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Sean LimingMVP Friday, August 7, 2015 2:43 PM
    Friday, July 31, 2015 6:46 AM
  • Update: This issue doesn't exist with the use of the Volume license ISO. (i was using the standard ISO before since the VL ISO wasn't released yet). works fine now. 

• Proposed as answer by Jaybird283 Tuesday, August 4, 2015 7:30 PM
    • Edited by Jaybird283 Tuesday, August 4, 2015 7:31 PM Added the word "Update"
    Tuesday, August 4, 2015 7:30 PM
  • Other have reported that the free RM download will not work. You have to use the ISO from Volume Licensing or MSDN.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

• Marked as answer by Jay.lambert Monday, August 10, 2015 7:21 PM
    Friday, August 7, 2015 2:44 PM
  • I got the same error when I when tried to open a Windows 10 Enterprise wim file on the Windows 10 Pro workstation. The ISO file was downloaded from the Volume Licensing Center.

But when I open this wim file on the Windows 7 Enterprise workstation, everything works fine.

Both workstations have Windows ADK for 10

Saturday, August 29, 2015 6:07 AM
  • There is some little trick involved with opening the WIM file to create a catalog. I have suggested in my SIM book to install the target OS on a system or VM, install the ADK, and then open the target OS WIM file to generate the catalog file. You can then take the catalog file back to the development machine for further testing.

In theory, Image and Configuration Designer (ICD) is supposed to be the tool of the future, but it is missing some key pieces.

Saturday, August 29, 2015 6:04 PM