none
Update continues for same KB2724197

Question

• I am having difficuly getting the update to stop. The windows log shows it was successfully installed but windows continually tries to install the same KB over and over.
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 4:35 PM

All replies

• I am having exactly the same problem.  I am running XP Home Edition SP3, and this was the last of a group of updates installed yesterday.  I have tried installing it manually by going to Microsoft Update, but the auto update still wants to run.  My update history shows that it has been installed successfully five time so far!  I ran FixIt with no result.

Thursday, October 11, 2012 9:33 AM
  • Select Start, Control Panel, Programs and Features, View Installed Updates and remove the repeating updates if they are listed there. Restart the computer and then manually install them again one at a time.

A lot of problems arise from setting Windows Update to automatically update. You may prefer to change this setting. Select Start, All Programs, Windows Update, Change Settings. Under Important Updates is a box showing the current setting. Click on the Arrow down to the right and change the selection to “Check for Updates but let me choose whether to download and install them” and click on OK.

If you encounter problems updating or you are not using the Automatic Update you should manually update by selecting Start, All Programs, Windows Update, Check for Updates. Check the boxes before the updates you want to install, click on Install and click again on Install in the next window and the process of installing starts. You should let the process proceed without interruption. Multi-tasking at the time updating is in progress is unwise. The progress window will tell you what is going on. You need to be patient.

Hope this helps, Gerry

Thursday, October 11, 2012 10:18 AM
  • It doesn't apear in Programs and Features for me.
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 7:44 PM
  • Please select Start, All Programs, Windows Update, View
    Update History, double click the failed update and post the Failure Code and
    Update reference number.

Hope this helps, Gerry

Thursday, October 11, 2012 9:27 PM
  • Hi,

View the update history and check if these updates have been successfully installed. This may happen if the update isn’t installed correctly the first time, or if your Windows Update settings can't detect the update.

I would suggest you to try the methods provided in the below article.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910339

Hope this helps

Vincent Wang

TechNet Community Support

Friday, October 12, 2012 1:49 AM
  • I am having this same issue. I followed the link provided. I ran the "Windows Update Troubleshooter", it said it fixed the problem, but the problem still persists. Windows update KB2724197 keeps installing, the install says "Successful" each and every time, but does not appear in Installed Updates under Programs and Features. I now have 18 successful updates on KB2724197.
    Tuesday, October 16, 2012 4:03 AM
  • Hi

I have the same problem. Tried everything advised so far - still wanting to repeate update - now have 12 sucessful attempts

Has anyone got a solution for Win 7 please

Thanks

Malcolm

Thursday, October 18, 2012 5:48 AM
  • Same problem here. I'll keep looking around and if I find a solution, I'll post it here.
    Thursday, October 18, 2012 6:35 AM
  • Select Start, Control Panel, Programs and Features, View Installed Updates and remove the repeating updates if they are listed there. Restart the computer and then manually install them again one at a time.

A lot of problems arise from setting Windows Update to automatically update. You may prefer to change this setting. Select Start, All Programs, Windows Update, Change Settings. Under Important Updates is a box showing the current setting. Click on the Arrow down to the right and change the selection to “Check for Updates but let me choose whether to download and install them” and click on OK.

If you encounter problems updating or you are not using the Automatic Update you should manually update by selecting Start, All Programs, Windows Update, Check for Updates. Check the boxes before the updates you want to install, click on Install and click again on Install in the next window and the process of installing starts. You should let the process proceed without interruption. Multi-tasking at the time updating is in progress is unwise. The progress window will tell you what is going on. You need to be patient.

Hope this helps, Gerry

Thursday, October 18, 2012 9:06 PM
  • I am experiencing the same exact problem as stated above. I have tried all of the proposed solutions; however, the problem persists. Please don't just paste the same solution as above because it didn't work and I have already seen it posted twice.

Friday, October 19, 2012 11:55 PM

Hope this helps, Gerry

Gerry,

Thanks for the possible solution. But the update is not listed under installed updates. Even though I get an successful update from the updates history. The problem with turning automatic updates off is then I'll miss all upcoming updates, unless I manually add just those and not this broken update. I am not multi-tasking when I do the updates, as no all the updates are happening when I shut my computer down.

Sunday, October 21, 2012 8:09 PM
  • Same here, update isn't listed in installed updates, 15 times it's listed as successful, automatic fix / manual fixes listed above haven't had any effect.
    Wednesday, October 24, 2012 10:17 PM
  • Same problem with Windows 7. Windows update reports successful install on every boot but is not listed as an update in programs and features. Turned off automatic updates and when Manual checkfor updates the KB274197 listed. Allowed windows update to install it and yet another successful update is listed. Re ran check for updates and lo and behold it is found yet again. Went into the important updates, right click and selected hide. Re-ran check for updates and it found KB2709715....guess what same symptoms so hid this too. 
    Friday, October 26, 2012 6:00 PM
  • Same here but I actually have two updates with the same behaviour. KB2724197 and KB2676562. Both successfully installing again and again. Have tried the following...

1. Have Installed from a Clean-Boot environment
    2. Have Run the Update readiness tool
    3. Have reset the update system manually
    4. Have run two MS update fix-its

By now I'm really at the stage of giving up and re-installing Windows 7 from scratch or moving to Linux!

Any last suggestions?

JB

Friday, November 09, 2012 3:52 PM

Hope this helps, Gerry

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 6:29 PM
  • Gerry for the 4197 update that didn't work.  However, if you're simply wishing to get the annoyance of the constant repeat update just right click the update and hide it.  I haven't seen anything since.  Hope this works for y'all.
    Saturday, December 08, 2012 2:21 AM
  • Gerry for the 4197 update that didn't work.  However, if you're simply wishing to get the annoyance of the constant repeat update just right click the update and hide it.  I haven't seen anything since.  Hope this works for y'all.

The problem with this is that this looks to be a fairly important security update.  If you hide it and it is not installed then you are leaving yourself open to whatever security breach that Microsoft of trying to block with this.

Has anyone found a solution to this yet?  I am having the same issue.  Installing successfully over and over again.  Not showing up in the installed updates folder so there is nothing to uninstall.

Carl

Monday, December 17, 2012 8:30 AM
  • I'm having this issue as well. Has anyone found a solution?

WIndows 7 Enterprise 64 bit

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 7:06 PM
  • I am running Windows 7 Enterprise x64 and also have this problem. Can we get a resolution to this problem please?
    Thursday, January 03, 2013 9:10 PM
  • From now on it's known that KB2676562 and KB2724197 were issued by microsoft with errors on time stamps in KBxxxxxxx.CAT for these updates. That's why these updates cannot pass security checks not only by microsof's Update Agents, but as well by other security Agent's such as Secunia PSI or Belarc Advisor.

It means that you don't need any actions for repair Microsoft Update Agent or SoftwareDistribution folder and so on. All you need is: (1) to make sure that these updates were installed properly and (2) to exclude security checks for them in future.

Note: These troubleshooting are described for Windows XP/SP3, but they will be actual for other OS, I think.

(1). Go to the registry editor and look up if there is properly content of InstalledBy and InstalledDate parameters in this registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SP4\KB2724197

Then for each subkey in this registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SP4\KB2724197\Filelist

make sure that all files described in parameter Location are presented in target folders and has versions as described in parameter Version. For this goals you can use search by windows explorer for ntk*;nto* in search box and even to add column titled "file version" in "search result" windows.

If you want, you may repeat described above actions for KB2676562, but it is not as needed, because all files  installed by this updating were been replaced by files with last versions from KB2724197. Also file win32k.sys that was installed by this updating will be replaced later by KB2779030.

And at last, find by windows explorer for KB2676562.log;KB2724197.log and look up on last line containing string: RebootNecessary = 0,WizardInput = 0 , DontReboot = 1, ForceRestart = 0
    at each file of KB2676562.log and KB2724197.log

If all was done, you may goto for troubleshooting described in (2). Probably you find some files which not were replaced by through updating. In this case you have to have administrator right to renaming files if you cannot simply replace them manually.

(2). Go to the Run command and execute this:
    %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution\Download

In opened folder hit the Search button. On Search Option check Advanced Options and check  "search system folders","search hidded files and folders", "search subdirectories". Then in search box titled "Containing text" insert text KB2676562 and hit "Search Now" button. On "Search Result" windows, move the mouse pointer on KB2676562.CAT file and choose by right click mouse "Open Containing Folder". In newly opened window, go on one level UP and remember name of this folder (XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX). Then delete this folder, named XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.

Repeat described above search for text KB2724197 and also delete related folder. You're done it.

Thereafter you may reboot your PC, or restart Windows Update Service. Still now security checks both for KB2676562 and KB2724197 is excluded, because there none .CAT files for checking.

Update to this post:
    Today (26 January, 2013) Microsoft has issued oficially the last hotfix for this issue (with correct .CAT files) and will going to send it for you via email:

see this at support.microsoft.com/kb/2785487

• Edited by shavel1 Saturday, January 26, 2013 11:51 AM
    Friday, January 25, 2013 11:04 PM