none
URL Desktop Shortcuts GPO RRS feed

• Question

• I have a URL that I would like to push out to a certain security group (Sales). To do this, I would need to edit the "User Configuration" part of the the GPO. What is the difference between "Desktop" vs "All Users Desktop" in Location (see below)?

Isn't "All Users" the old location where like Windows XP used to store there, what is now called, "Public"? 

In the past we always pushed these types of URL Desktop GPO's under "Computer Configuration". Basically, everybody would get it. I don't want to do that this time. 

Also, do I need to check off this box as well.

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 5:49 PM

All replies

• Hello fanfree,

Thank you for posting in our forum. 

Here are our answers to the questions.

1.>>What is the difference between "Desktop" vs "All Users Desktop" in Location (see below)?
     According to the article "Microsoft Active Directory – Desktop Shortcuts with Group Policy”,we can understand the difference between "Desktop" and "All users desktop". The specific differences are as follows

“If you set the “Location“ to “Desktop“ then you should make sure on the “Common“ tab the check box “run in logged-on user’s security context“ is set, because the shortcut will be published on the users own desktop. If you wish to deploy a shortcut to the “All Users“ profile then you have to set the target to “All Users Desktop“ and also uncheck the box to run this group policy preference in logged-on user’s security context. Usually a normal user doesn’t have access to all users profile, but the system account, which runs this group policy preference, has access to it.”

2.>>Isn't "All Users" the old location where like Windows XP used to store there, what is now called, "Public"? 
      Yes, "All Users" in the old OS like Windows XP is now “Public”.

3.>> In the past we always pushed these types of URL Desktop GPO's under "Computer Configuration". Basically, everybody would get it. I don't want to do that this time. 
    Also, do I need to check off this box as well.
    As mentioned in the article above, we can see answer 1.

Hope above information can help you. If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best regards,
    Cynthia Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 8:07 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Cynthia

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 23, 2019 1:42 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Cynthia

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 1:38 AM