none
Redirected printers not showing in Devices and Printer - unable to change defaults RRS feed

• Question

• We have a Windows Server 2012 Remote Desktop Server and are having problems with redirected printers on it. The problem occurs for users running the RDP client from Windows 7, 8 and 10.

Users are connecting over a WAN connection and are needing to print to their local network printers. The printers are connected successfully to their local workstations, and the option to redirect printers is selected in the RDP client. When users remote connect to the server the local printers show as available from within an application, such as Word, and they can print successfully using them, however they don't show in the Devices and Printers in the remote desktop session.

The problem is they want to change the default settings on the printer to be single-sided B&W and the default is Auto-color, double-sided. This can be changed manually from within the application but it doesn't stick once they log off and back on again.

Following the recommendation from this link:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/243942  I was able to change the defaults by going to the redirected printer in Devices and Printers and making the change under both Printing Preferences and Printing Defaults on the printers, then waiting for at least a minute before logging off and the settings are persistent for that user through a logoff and back on again.

We had major printing issues with this server and printers when using the Windows Easy Print driver as they constantly randomly never printed jobs, and Microsoft Support concluded we needed to disable using Windows Easy Print drivers first and load matching drivers on both the local workstation and the server. This resolved the problems they had re the non-printing, but it meant changes to the default settings had to be made on the redirected printer as above, as changing them on the local printer doesn't carry through the redirection.

I was able to configure the redirected printers at the time as they showed up in the Devices and Printers, but for some reason they don't any more. The changed defaults have stayed persistent for users that the change was made on, but they now want it made for new users. Also checking for existing users they no longer have the redirected printers showing up in Devices and Printers either.

There have been no changes to the server that I am aware of that would cause the printers to no longer show up. Directly attached printers show up OK, just not the redirected printer. Checking the device manager does show the print queue for the redirected printer, and as mentioned earlier, it's available to print to.

I thought perhaps copying the registry configuration of a working configured printer and loading that each time a user logs on to the Remote Desktop Server might be an option, but the redirected printers change the redirection number each time so they wouldn't match.

Any thoughts or suggestions about how to either get the redirected printers showing up again, or configure them for persistent defaults would be greatly appreciated.

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 1:00 AM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, I assume that redirected printers disappear to different user accounts while connecting from different Windows client systems, is that correct?

What’s the RDC version installed on those clients?

Does the issue occur to every redirected printer?

I suggest you try to restart Print Spooler service to see whether redirected printers would appear.

If not, log off the remote desktop session then log back on to see what happens.

In addition, it’s always recommended to fully patch Windows system, keep drivers up to date, and disable/uninstall third party applications if abnormal issues occur.

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 11:36 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, I assume that redirected printers disappear to different user accounts while connecting from different Windows client systems, is that correct?

What’s the RDC version installed on those clients?

Does the issue occur to every redirected printer?

I suggest you try to restart Print Spooler service to see whether redirected printers would appear.

If not, log off the remote desktop session then log back on to see what happens.

In addition, it’s always recommended to fully patch Windows system, keep drivers up to date, and disable/uninstall third party applications if abnormal issues occur.

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 11:36 AM
  • Hi,

Would you please provide us with an update on the status of your issue?

Best Regards,

Amy

Monday, September 19, 2016 10:29 AM
  • Can you make the changes to the printer from the print dialog box?

example:

1. Open notepad

2. go to file, print

3. Right click on the printer within the print dialog and do what you would have done in devices and printers

I've seen this happen before. I don't know what causes it or how to fix it but I've worked around it this way.

• Edited by Zachary_N Tuesday, October 4, 2016 1:34 PM typo
    Tuesday, October 4, 2016 1:27 PM
  • I have the same issue.  Printing works and the redirected printers are listed in the print dialog when printing from an application. However they do not appear in Devices and Printers. It does appear to affect all users on this server.

Thursday, December 8, 2016 4:37 PM
  • Did you happen to try rebooting? It sometimes fixes it. 
    Thursday, December 8, 2016 4:46 PM
  • Rebooting does fix it.  But we'd like to not have to do that for obvious reasons. :) Sigh, looks like another papercut bug Microsoft won't be fixing anytime soon...
    Thursday, January 12, 2017 7:55 PM
  • Hi!

We have a production enviroment made up of a single server RDS (I know it's not supported by MS) delivering desktop applications for accounting.

The enviroment works fine, but intermittently Printer redirection is a real pain.

The server enviroment is a fully patched Windows Server 2012 R2 standard.

Connecting clients are fully patched Windows 10 Pro.

Client Printers are Network attached Canon PCL6 Printers with latest Drivers Installed on both Server and Client. We have tried Easy Print as well as disabling it through GPO.

A brief description of the issues we are facing:

- For some users, not all, suddenly printer redirection stops working on the RD. Printers and devices shows a clock on the server indicating Device installation for a brief time upon connection. However none of the printers gets connected.

Solutions are also Intermittent:

Sometimes reconnecting solves the issue,
    Sometimes rebooting the Client
    In some cases we end up rebooting the server when nothing else seems to help.
    Recently reboot didn't solve the issue.

Tried reinstalling client, create new login/profile on RDS, issue persists from this particukar hardware.

When trying connection from other client device the redirection is working and connecting with Admin sometimes helps but mostly not...

As You might understand of reading this We are totally clueless what is causing this, and We have none Idea what so ever what the sollution is when the issue appears.... :)

We can however confirm that printers are available in Word, but not in Devices and Printers

Keeping rebooting the server (that doesnt solve the issue everytime) isn't the solution.

Ideas? anyone?

Friday, February 17, 2017 7:50 AM
  • I have the exact same problem. Have spent a lot of time investigating without any results. No errors are found on the client or on the RDSH, but the printers are not visible in control panel. It doesn't matter if you're an ordinary user or an administrator.

Thanks Zachary for the tip about setting default printers via the print-dialog in notepad. This will help many of our users, but very elegant? No!

I hope MS can find the root cause of this and fix it.

Magz66

Thursday, February 23, 2017 11:48 AM
  • Hi,

I started to have similar problem. Users are using WIN10 server is 2012 r2. Printers are not listed in control panel but they appear in Word, Excel.... Any idea? 

So far I did:

Tested in different environment (other Terminal servers, and issue is same), I uninstall printers. I found that user recently installed KB3150513 updates so I uninstalled.

Friday, March 24, 2017 12:27 PM
  • Hi all,

Exactly the same problem on 2 computers : Win7 and Win8.

RDS Server : 2012R2

Any idea?

Thursday, April 6, 2017 7:58 AM
  • Same problem here:

Server 2012 R2

Three Clients with Windows 10

Thursday, May 18, 2017 4:30 PM
  • Hi,

I have the same issue and my work around is:

stop service: Spooler

stop service: UmRdpService

start service: UmRdpService

start service: Spooler

but some time we need only restart RDSH server (Win2012R2)

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 2:02 PM
  • I had the same issue and for weeks! My solution was to rename the local PC to something random, I think its caused by having PC's with the same computer name connecting to the same TS server, can't guarantee this will fix it but worked for me, would love to hear if it works for anyone else?  
    Monday, June 12, 2017 4:40 PM
  • I have the same problem with a brand new Windows 2016 Standard Server. Client printers are not visible as "Redirected" in Devices and Printers on the server. Print Services is installed.

I see the local ports when I install a client printer listed as "computername": PRN5, and I can install it as a TS001 port printer. However, after logging off and on, that same TS001 shows as Inactive TS Port and printing no longer works.

I manage another customer's Windows 2008 Standard Server and all is well on that server. It is not working properly on a Windows 7 Pro machine that is used as a file server in a small office, or this new Windows 2016 server.

This is a big problem because the most important RDP user is the company's accountant, accessing QuickBooks 2016 Enterprise remotely. He can't print checks, including mine!

HELP!!!

Saturday, July 29, 2017 5:49 PM
  • I'm having exactly the same issue.  Server 2012 R2.  Win10 Pro x64 users.

Curiously though, the local printers affected for my users are all wireless.  No-one in this thread has mentioned this, so I assume you are all wired and having the same issue.

I have wired printers that work fine for a user, but not the wireless...

Friday, September 8, 2017 1:02 PM
  • I have the same issue, Win10 Pro x64 build 15063. My PC is in a Workgroup, no GPOs applied whatsoever. When I RDP to specific 2012 R2 servers, my printers do not get redirected (even though my mstsc local resource has printer redirection enabled). But on the rest of the 2012 R2 servers, my redirected printers show up fine under Devices and Printers.

I have posted a more detailed description of the issue and the things I've tested on Spiceworks, in case anyone's interested:

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2053338-redirected-printers-not-showing-under-devices-and-printers?page=1#entry-7229750

Thursday, September 21, 2017 11:21 PM
  • Same problem - renaming the local workstation fixed.

Nothing else worked, no event log issues.
    Tuesday, November 28, 2017 7:10 PM
  • This worked for me! Thank you!
    Tuesday, August 21, 2018 5:17 PM
  • have a look at Session Printers not showing in Control Panel XA7.16

In my case the solution came down to missing services running on my XenDesktop servers due to hardening the servers prior to provisioning them. I ran a couple of hardening scripts, which disabled a lot of so-called unnecessary services which resulted in the aforementioned issue. The affected services are:

• Device Install Service (DeviceInstall)
    • Device Management Enrollment Service (DmEnrollmentSvc)
    • Device Setup Manager (DsmSvc)

They were disabled and I had to revert them to the default setting, i.e. 

• Device Install Service (DeviceInstall) | Manual (Trigger Start)
    • Device Management Enrollment Service (DmEnrollmentSvc) | Manual 
    • Device Setup Manager (DsmSvc) | Manual (Trigger Start)

After resetting the services via Group Policy everything worked as expected.

Kind regards
    Alex

Alexander Ollischer Diplom-Wirtschaftsinformatiker (FH) Citrix & Microsoft Certified Engineer (CCEA, CCEE, MCSA, MCSE, MCDBA, MCTS) Afontis IT+Services GmbH Baierbrunner Straße 15 81379 München Deutschland Telefon (089) 74 34 55-0 Fax (089) 74 34 55-55 mailto:a.ollischer@afontis.de http://www.afontis.de http://www.itganzeinfach.de Amtsgericht München, HRB 109 005 Geschäftsführer: Thomas Klimmer

Wednesday, August 29, 2018 11:46 AM
  • Hey everyone,

I can't tell you what causes this but I might have a piece to add to the puzzle. After coming across the issue in some of our terminal server environments, reading here that changing the RDP client name solved it for some of you prompted me to play around with hostnames and I was able to replicate it reliably. Basically, on all the servers of ours where I've observed this, if the client name is longer than 14 characters, printers redirected from it will work but will not be listed under Devices and Printers.
    On a related note, the name generated on a new Windows (e.g. DESKTOP-2P57JKL) is 15 characters long, so anyone doing a clean install without shortening the default name is likely to run into this issue even on a brand-new client.

I hope this is of some use to people.

• Proposed as answer by S2 Tech Wednesday, October 24, 2018 9:48 PM
    Thursday, September 20, 2018 3:35 PM
  • THANK YOU!!!
    Friday, October 5, 2018 8:47 AM
  • THANK YOU!!!
    Friday, October 5, 2018 8:48 AM
  • That worked!

Wednesday, October 24, 2018 9:48 PM
  • A big thanks for the info!

as of today, its till valid!

SelfMan

Thursday, December 13, 2018 3:12 PM
  • That worked also for me.

As further information, computer name length should be no more than 14 characters; if exceeding this length, you cannot more see your redirected printers in Device and Printers!

Thanks Microsoft :[

• Edited by cmarsura Monday, January 14, 2019 11:40 AM
    Monday, January 14, 2019 11:38 AM
  • the computer name you are connecting to the RDP is longer than 14 characters. 
    Monday, March 4, 2019 6:02 PM
  • An option may be to check Printer Redirection in the group policy settings on the server side.  Then reconnect the RDP session.  Restart print spooler service if needed.  If an Admin blocks it then Users lose redirected printers.  See below excerpt from the link provided: 

https://www.technipages.com/solve-printer-doesnt-show-in-remote-desktop-session

Launch “gpedit.msc“.

1. Navigate to “Computer Configuration” > “Administrative Templates” > “Windows Components” > “Remote Desktop Services” > “Remote Desktop Session Host“.
    2. Expand “Printer Redirection“.
    3. Ensure that “Do not allow client printer redirection” is set to “Not configured” or “Disabled“. Another setting you may want to check is the “Redirect only the default client printer“. This policy should also set to “Not configured” or “Disabled” if you want more than just the default printer to be available to use.

Wednesday, March 13, 2019 9:06 AM
  • This worked for me on my RDS 2016 farm.

Thanks!

Thursday, April 4, 2019 6:30 PM
  • create a registry key

under 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\Namespace

create a new key {2227a280-3aea-1069-a2de-08002b30309d}

change the value of (Default) to Printers

restart the machine.

You will notice this will put a icon on the desktop of all users called Printers which will show all your installed printers for that user. I had this issue with server 2012r2 in horizon using re-directed network printers and re-directed user profiles. This way you at least give the users a way to change there printer preferences, view printers, set default printers ect as it actually hooks to the same spot in windows it boggles me why you can see them here and not in devices and printers as the printers are actually installed and working ok. 

Monday, September 16, 2019 2:44 PM