none
Missing boot events on the Diagnostic performance operational log (event-id 100) RRS feed

• Question

• I noticed that event (100) is not always reported or not reported at all on several machines and I would like to understand how can I force reporting it.
    In addition I would appreciate if you can explain regarding the keys under:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Diagnostics\Performance\Boot]

Things I've already tested on win7:
    1. Verified that the diagnostic performance > operational log is enabled
    2. Services: ‘Diagnostic Policy Service’ (auto) and ‘Diagnostic service host’ (manual) were running
    3. Verified that GPO is not disabled for:
    - Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Troubleshooting
    - Diagnostics\Windows Boot Performance Diagnostics Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Troubleshooting and Diagnostics\Diagnostics: Configuration scenario executing level

Thanks,

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 7:58 AM

Answers

All replies

• For keys under [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Diagnostics\Performance\Boot]

Please take a look of discussions in this link(reply posted by David J)

Diagnostics-Performance log Event 100 - Critical, Error, or Warning - when and why?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/48005f5d-5f66-439a-af51-3a2ebb894e31/diagnosticsperformance-log-event-100-critical-error-or-warning-when-and-why?forum=w7itproperf

My understanding to this issue—event (100) is not always reported or not reported at all on several machines” is that : this kind event log occurs when an time parameter during the boot process reaches a threshold in the registry key, then a warning, critical or error message will appear in the event viewer. If it doesn’t reach the threshold, then there will be no report.

Regards

Yolanda
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 9:49 AM
  • Thank you very much for your detailed answer

Sunday, January 12, 2014 11:06 AM
  • I tried lowering the value of the following registry key to 1 decimal and it helped significantly, but occasionally there was still no Event ID 100 logged.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Diagnostics\Performance\Boot\BootMinorThreshold_Sec

It turned out that this is a known bug that Microsoft has a Hotfix for ALL of the Windows 7 distributions for both 32-bit and 64-bit OSs:

Title: No event ID 100 is logged in the Diagnostics-Performance log when you start Windows 7 SP1

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2966921/no-event-id-100-is-logged-in-the-diagnostics-performance-log-when-you

Applies To:

Windows 7 Service Pack 1, Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 7 Home Basic, Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Starter, Windows 7 Ultimate

I'm surprised that after 2 years and 3 months since this Hotfix was released that it still hasn't been put into a Windows Update.  Instead you have to request and then manually install the correct 32-bit or 64-bit Hotfix on each and every system that you want this Event ID to be logged on.

• Proposed as answer by tech_dude88 Monday, September 4, 2017 6:11 PM
    • Edited by tech_dude88 Monday, September 4, 2017 6:58 PM
    Monday, September 4, 2017 6:11 PM