none
How do I find the My Themes folder?

Question

• The My Themes folder seems to have disappeared.  I have unhidden all folders and checked the \users\username\local\apps\microsoft\windows folder and it is not there.  The section is also blank when I display the Personalization window.  The only themes are the default ones provided when Windows 7 is installed.  How can I find or recreate the folder?

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 10:15 AM

Answers

• Yes, I found references to the location you mentioned.  However, there was no Themes folder in the c:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows folder.  I did find a Themes in c:\users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows and moved my themes to that location.  Still did not show up when opening the Personalization window.  Is there a registry entry which determines the folder?

Hi

All of the default Themes that are installed with Windows 7 are located in the
    C:\Windows\Resources\Themes  folder. This is also where all of the system files that enable themes and other display components are located.

Any other Themes that a user downloads and installs are placed in the
    C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Themes  folder.

When you download a Theme pack, you must double click the downloaded file to install the theme.

If you manually move the themes to another folder, the system will not be able to find them and they will not appear in the Personalization component.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

• Proposed as answer by Linda Yan Friday, May 14, 2010 2:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, May 17, 2010 2:03 AM
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 10:44 AM

All replies

• All the ones I've downloaded are in:

C:\Users\usernamee\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Themes

Rich Why can't I be different and original like everybody else? - Vivian Stanshal
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 1:46 AM
  • Hi,

Windows 7 themes files are saved in the following locations:

C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Themes

C:\Windows\Resources\Themes

Note: I assume C: drive is the system drive where Windows 7 is installed.

Please check if the themes can be found.

Also, you can search the theme files using the Windows Search function

Regards,

Linda

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 6:47 AM
  • Yes, I found references to the location you mentioned.  However, there was no Themes folder in the c:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows folder.  I did find a Themes in c:\users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows and moved my themes to that location.  Still did not show up when opening the Personalization window.  Is there a registry entry which determines the folder?
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 12:07 PM
  • Try downloading another theme, see if the Themes folder is then created.

You may need to show Hidden files and folders to see it.

Control Panel, Folder Options, View tab.

Select Show hidden files, folders, or drives and uncheck Hide extensions for known file types.

Click Apply then OK.

Rich Why can't I be different and original like everybody else? - Vivian Stanshal
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 3:55 AM
  • If you have installed any third party Windows 7 theme, please temporary uninstall it.

After that, download a new theme from Personalization Gallery

What is the result?

Also, create a new user account to see if the issue occurs.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 9:40 AM

Hi

All of the default Themes that are installed with Windows 7 are located in the
    C:\Windows\Resources\Themes  folder. This is also where all of the system files that enable themes and other display components are located.

Any other Themes that a user downloads and installs are placed in the
    C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Themes  folder.

When you download a Theme pack, you must double click the downloaded file to install the theme.

If you manually move the themes to another folder, the system will not be able to find them and they will not appear in the Personalization component.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

• Proposed as answer by Linda Yan Friday, May 14, 2010 2:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, May 17, 2010 2:03 AM
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 10:44 AM