none
Problems upgrading from windows 7 home premium 32bit to windows 7 pro 64bit RRS feed

• Question

• I just purchased a HP Probook that shipped with win 7 home premium 32 bit and I want to upgrade to Pro 64bit. In disk management, it shows 4 partitions:

SYSTEM = 300MB (system active primary partition)

C = 211GB (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)

E (HP_RECOVERY) = 16.2GB (Primary Partition)

F (HP_TOOLS) =  4.98GB (Primary Partition)

Now I do not want to create a dual boot set-up and the disk I have is the upgrade edition..having chosen the custom option when I get to the "where do you want to install windows" page, if I select the SYSTEM partition, I get the following message "Windows cannot be installed to disk 0 partition 1" because there is only 300MB of space there. I am also reluctant to select C for fear of it creating a dual boot system. Also didn't want to format C and SYSTEM, before creating a merged partition for fear of my Win 7 upgrade DVD not working for not finding a previous installation.

Please help :(

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 4:58 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately, one cannot perform a direct upgrade to a 64-bit operating sytem to a 64-bit operating system - a "clean install" would be required.  I would suggest that you maintain your current 32-bit Windows 7 operating system as you really won't see any significant benefit for a 64-bit operating system.

Please review: 32-bit and 64-bit Windows: frequently asked questions

Carey Frisch
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 11:41 PM

All replies

• SYSTEM = 300MB (system active primary partition)

C = 211GB (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)

E (HP_RECOVERY) = 16.2GB (Primary Partition)

F (HP_TOOLS) =  4.98GB (Primary Partition)

I am also reluctant to select C for fear of it creating a dual boot system.

To have a dual boot, Windows must be on two separate partitions. If you install Windows on C: where Windows currently is installed you will not end up with a dual boot. You will need to reinstall all your programs after installing 64 bit.

Do not touch E: of F: at all.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 11:24 PM
  • Unfortunately, one cannot perform a direct upgrade to a 64-bit operating sytem to a 64-bit operating system - a "clean install" would be required.  I would suggest that you maintain your current 32-bit Windows 7 operating system as you really won't see any significant benefit for a 64-bit operating system.

Please review: 32-bit and 64-bit Windows: frequently asked questions

Carey Frisch
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 11:41 PM