none
problem with audio after installing windows 7 on my dell vostro 1400

Question

• why is windows 7 version is not supporting audio driver for dell vostro 1400, could you please give me a solution that can clear my problem

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Monday, December 13, 2010 3:51 PM Moved to proper forum category (From:Feedback and Comments)
    Monday, December 13, 2010 2:23 PM

Answers

• It appears that Dell does not support drivers for Windows 7 for the Vostro 1400:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&ServiceTag=&SystemID=VOS_N_1400&os=WLH&osl=en&catid=&impid=

You can try the available Vista drivers in compatibility mode to see if they will make your audio work.

The audio chip for the Vostro 1400,1500,1700 and Inspiron series is the SIGMATEL STAC 92XX C-Major HD, you can download any windows vista version of this driver on your laptop (take note whether it's x64 or x86!)

I have the Inspiron type of the that generation Vostro series and I've been using all the features of my soundcard (including built-in microphone array) without any issues with the vista drivers.

The link pvdg42 provided will only allow you to get the x86 drivers, however if you need the x64 drivers, the XPS1330 uses the same audio chip, and Dell actually provides x64 vista drivers for that model.

Click here for x64 Vista drivers for XPS1330/Vostro 1400

If you one of these posts answered your question or issue, please click on "Mark as answer". If a post contained helpfull information, please be so kind to click on the "Vote as helpful" button :)
    Monday, December 13, 2010 6:41 PM

All replies

• It appears that Dell does not support drivers for Windows 7 for the Vostro 1400:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&ServiceTag=&SystemID=VOS_N_1400&os=WLH&osl=en&catid=&impid=

You can try the available Vista drivers in compatibility mode to see if they will make your audio work.

Monday, December 13, 2010 4:38 PM

The audio chip for the Vostro 1400,1500,1700 and Inspiron series is the SIGMATEL STAC 92XX C-Major HD, you can download any windows vista version of this driver on your laptop (take note whether it's x64 or x86!)

I have the Inspiron type of the that generation Vostro series and I've been using all the features of my soundcard (including built-in microphone array) without any issues with the vista drivers.

The link pvdg42 provided will only allow you to get the x86 drivers, however if you need the x64 drivers, the XPS1330 uses the same audio chip, and Dell actually provides x64 vista drivers for that model.

Click here for x64 Vista drivers for XPS1330/Vostro 1400

If you one of these posts answered your question or issue, please click on "Mark as answer". If a post contained helpfull information, please be so kind to click on the "Vote as helpful" button :)
    Monday, December 13, 2010 6:41 PM
  • Thank you Stephan Schwarz, yes that did work...  Specifically:

Your linked XPS driver  [R18688  = SIGMATEL STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio (64bit WHQL 6.10.0.5866)]  DID WORK on my Vostro 1400 running the 64-bit Win8 Enterprise Eval (RTM = build 9200).

[Edit:  for search engines to find this solution, in Device Manager my Hardware ID is HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7616&SUBSYS_10280227&REV_1004  - and now it appears listed as "SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC" instead of as the generic non-functional device.]

That was after another version I downloaded failed to install  [R190321=BAD on my pc],  even though I tried several compatibility settings. 

My conclusion is that I definitely want to look for that "WHQL"!  [Dell & Microsoft, please consider adding this driver to the Windows Update &/or Problem Reporter Solutions].

• Edited by Douglas-MFD Tuesday, November 13, 2012 7:28 AM added Hardware ID
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 7:16 AM