none
Upgrade OSD (SCCM) Windows 10 1909 - Language pack installation issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm working on the upgrade of Windows 10, version 1709 to 1909. I need to understand how can we manage the language packs with the new .appx language pack. Do I need to install the .cab file then the .appx file or just the .appx file is enough ? 

This is the list of my test :

• Install the .cab file only during the setup (used OSDSetupAdditionalUpgradeOptions variable) = I had some display issues (weird caracters on the text in the system panel for example)
    • Install .cab file + .appx after the upgrade (DISM Online mode) = Same issues
    • Install only the appx file (DISM Online mode) = works in spanish but not sure if the system was using only the .appx that I provided or downloaded the missing files on the Internet when the user are trying to log

I need to find the right way to install the right language on the system, without any display issues. And since the .cab obsolete for the 1909 version, I want to know how can we manage that now with the new version and the future.

Thank you for your help !

Monday, January 20, 2020 3:52 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in TechNet.

1.For the display issue, please install the November cumulative update after install the language pack to have a try. Here is a similar thread for your reference:
    1909 - after installing LP cab start menu search isn't working anymore

2.With the exception of Local Experience Packs (LXPs) for LIP Languages, new supplemental media was not released with Windows 10, version 1909; the supplemental media previously released with Windows 10, version 1903 is also compatible with version 1909 media. Devices running Windows 10, versions 1903 or 1909 with the October 2019 cumulative update or later installed, must download the new "Windows 10, version 1903 Local Experience Packs (LXPs) for LIP Languages (released Oct 2019)" file for the best LIP language experience.

Please refer to: Windows 10 v 1909 Language Packs

Thanks for your time.

Best regards,
    Simon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 21, 2020 3:10 AM
  • Hello,

Thank you for your answer.

1/ The November cumulative update is already injected in the wim file so I can't install it after the language pack.. And I don't want to use an old WIM with old KB

2/ For LXPs, I have used the 1903 Local Experience Packs (LXPs) included in the iso file that I can find on MSDN but I have the issue with that.

Do you have any other idea to fix these issues (display issues, search bar and start menu search are not working correctly) ?

Thank you for your help.

Tuesday, January 21, 2020 8:40 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your detailed information.

May we know if there is any further information about this issue in the smsts.log?

Please also look in the hidden folder C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther to view the setuperr.log and setupact.log file for more detailed information.

Thanks for your time.

Best regards,
    Simon

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 3:35 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if there is any update. May we know the current status of the question? If there is any other assistance we can provide, please feel free to let us know, we will do our best to help you.

Thanks and regards,
    Simon 

Sunday, January 26, 2020 2:39 AM
  • Hi,

I'm in the same situation. I tested a lot of different orders to update from 1809 to 1909 with a LIP without any success. No log usefull inside setuperr.log and setupact.log.

After hours reading this same issue on the web, can we finally have a good answer from MS with a real solution.

Thanks for your help.

Tuesday, January 28, 2020 6:58 AM
  • Hi,

I will do more research about this issue, if there is any update, I will let you know. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,
    Simon

Wednesday, January 29, 2020 12:51 PM