none
Windows 10 and WSUS Notification Icon RRS feed

• Question

• With Windows 7, users would be presented with a notification icon by the clock when updates from our local WSUS had been installed but required a reboot. We are in a mixed environment with W10 and W7. W7 clients are still getting the icon or pop up dialog box. I had a W10 user report to me that he wasn't getting an icon by the clock or a popup. As an IT worker (who approves updates every month) I always manually updated my system and restarted. The thought never occurred to me to make sure the notification area icon or pop up dialog was still occurring when we started imaging systems with 10. As a test I removed an Office 2016 update from my system and rebooted. I checked in Windows Update on my PC and it shows that an update is needed. This was a couple of hours ago. Nothing showing on the notification area and no dialog box. Nothing on the lock screen.

Does anyone know if 10 still displays a balloon or toast or dialog to indicate a user should restart? As an aside we have automatic restarts disabled to prevent data loss. I also checked my GPO and the settings which disable balloons or toasts isn't being used.

Thanks,

-Tom

Tuesday, August 22, 2017 3:07 PM

Answers

• Hi Tom,

If your client system is 1703 version, this Configure auto-restart required notification for updates policy worth trying.

Auto-restart notifications

Administrators can override the default behavior for the auto-restart required notification. By default, this notification will dismiss automatically.

To configure this behavior through Group Policy, go to Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update and select Configure auto-restart required notification for updates. When configured to 2 - User Action, a user that gets this notification must manually dismiss it.

You can also configure the period prior to an update that this notification will show up on. The default value is 15 minutes.

To change it through Group Policy, select Configure auto-restart-reminder notifications for updates under Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update and select the period in minutes.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/waas-restart

Besides, I search online and find out this good discussion, on the second page, an IT engineer named subcy provided a script which checking a registry entry and send a popup message to the users with information about waiting updates, this way doesn’t need 1703 version and works fine, I advise you and your IT team try it.

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1978371-windows-10-clients-and-wu-restart-notifications?page=2

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Tom8080 Wednesday, August 23, 2017 12:09 PM
    Wednesday, August 23, 2017 1:36 AM

All replies

• Hi Tom,

If your client system is 1703 version, this Configure auto-restart required notification for updates policy worth trying.

Auto-restart notifications

Administrators can override the default behavior for the auto-restart required notification. By default, this notification will dismiss automatically.

To configure this behavior through Group Policy, go to Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update and select Configure auto-restart required notification for updates. When configured to 2 - User Action, a user that gets this notification must manually dismiss it.

You can also configure the period prior to an update that this notification will show up on. The default value is 15 minutes.

To change it through Group Policy, select Configure auto-restart-reminder notifications for updates under Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update and select the period in minutes.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/waas-restart

Besides, I search online and find out this good discussion, on the second page, an IT engineer named subcy provided a script which checking a registry entry and send a popup message to the users with information about waiting updates, this way doesn’t need 1703 version and works fine, I advise you and your IT team try it.

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1978371-windows-10-clients-and-wu-restart-notifications?page=2

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Tom8080 Wednesday, August 23, 2017 12:09 PM
    Wednesday, August 23, 2017 1:36 AM
  • Thanks Teemo- we were waiting a while after the release of 1703 to upgrade. Looks like now is the time to do it! And our sysadmin is going to install the latest .admx files. Thanks for your help!

Tom

• Edited by Tom8080 Wednesday, August 23, 2017 12:10 PM
    Wednesday, August 23, 2017 12:10 PM