none
Realtek AC 97 8 channel sound driver Vista beta

Question

• I have a new ECS KN1 SLI Lite mobo with integrated Realteak 8 ch sound. The vista beta does not recognize the sound chip.  Realtek released a vista beta driver. While installing this driver from the setup program, the installation fails with a "Warning Install Microsoft Bus driver before installing".

What driver is this? Vista installed all other drivers.  Nvidia released some beta Nforce4  drivers for manual installation.

These drivers are represented as drivers that vista would not recognize and are a yellow question mark in the device manager. I do not have any other than the multimedia controller. Nvidia list a SM Bus Controller, I do not have a listing for this.

I am at a loss to understand.

Saturday, June 10, 2006 5:23 AM

All replies

• I ran into the same issue with a new little Sony laptop when I was installing a clean copy of XP.  The driver is part of a QFE mentioned in Q835221 that you normally need to contact Microsoft Support to get.  It isn't included in any XP service packs or other downloads.  And as you found, even Vista Beta 2 does not ship with it.  The driver supports a new architecture for sound cards called Universal Audio Architecture (or UAA).  The resolution I had found is available in this blog post:

http://geekswithblogs.net/lorint/archive/2006/06/11/81540.aspx

Monday, June 12, 2006 11:03 AM
  •  FFury wrote:

I have a new ECS KN1 SLI Lite mobo with integrated Realteak 8 ch sound. The vista beta does not recognize the sound chip.  Realtek released a vista beta driver. While installing this driver from the setup program, the installation fails with a "Warning Install Microsoft Bus driver before installing".

What driver is this? Vista installed all other drivers.  Nvidia released some beta Nforce4  drivers for manual installation.

These drivers are represented as drivers that vista would not recognize and are a yellow question mark in the device manager. I do not have any other than the multimedia controller. Nvidia list a SM Bus Controller, I do not have a listing for this.

Friday, June 16, 2006 10:38 PM
  • Agreed.  Same problem here.  The audio driver in Nvidia's beta driver package gives me 2 speaker sound but no other functionality on my nforce-based board.  Tried the Realtek beta and ran into the same problems as listed in the original post.  I eagerly await a driver that recovers my SPDIF surround sound for Vista (or a suggestion that points out my incompetence).
    Saturday, June 24, 2006 12:12 AM
  • The biggest problem with vista is that there are no driver that work 60%.Til vista come out there is little hope you get a working driver.Just wait,why use beta.

Saturday, June 24, 2006 3:25 AM
  • This problem was cured for me with a MS update.  I downloaded the update--including the *optional* Realtek AC97 driver update--and my sound is working as I'd expect.
    Monday, June 26, 2006 3:36 PM
  • I have a clean install of Build 5384 with Nvidia's drivers as the only external software in my installation.  I update daily, look at the optionals, and read the KB's and I've not yet been presented an update for my Realtek ALC850, so you are fortunate.  It could also mean my computer is one of the outliers and a reinstallation will pick it up.  I've seen that more than once over the years even in well matured OS's.  Since this is my "beta" computer, I think I'll wait and see what shakes out for others.
    Monday, June 26, 2006 7:44 PM
  • I use Realtek AC97 for my sound.  My OS is XP.  The sound is very slurred with a heavy bass sound.  The voices sound like someone on valium.  I've done all the basic troubleshooting and now I am out of my league.

Any help out there?

Friday, June 30, 2006 4:38 AM
  • i jost need SM Bus Controller
    Friday, June 30, 2006 12:36 PM
  • That isn't enough information.  If you have a motherboard with an Nvidia chipset, unpack the latest beta drivers from Nvidia's website.  Open Device Manager and find the Nvidia nForce PCI System Management under System Devices.  Right click on it and click on Update Driver Software.  Select Browse My Computer and then browse to the SMB directory inside your nforce vista beta driver directory.  Click Next and this will solve your SMB driver problem.  This covers this particular scenario with this particular chipset under Vista.  Those having Windows XP questions should probably post in the XP forum.
    Friday, June 30, 2006 7:14 PM
  • I've had difficulty dissecting the KB's associated with this.  The UAA concept is supposedly integral to the Vista architecture and, in my Beta 2, the Microsoft UAA Bus driver (hdaudbus.sys) is present.  In my sysinfo, it is recognized in system services as not started because it is disabled.  It is not present in services.msc as an option for enabling so it must be disabled for some other reason.  I hate to install the QFE since it installs files older than what are already present on my system and also because you can't uninstall it without modifying the registry.  I am considering changing the registry to force a start of this service but I'd rather understand why it comes disabled in the first place.
    Saturday, July 01, 2006 12:22 AM
  • Bat Adiya,

The SM Bus controller is Intel's 'System Management Bus controller' that comes as part of the chipset on your motherboard.

To fix this you need to install the Intel INF update utility, also called the Chipset Software Installation utility.  You can get the latest version from Intel here:

http://shrinkster.com/gbo

Saturday, July 01, 2006 2:32 PM
  • Thats the problem with the installation of the realtek drivers. I am running an AMD NForce4 SLI chipset. NOT INTEL. Yet the installation stalls saying the SM Bus must be installed first.
    Sunday, July 02, 2006 1:00 AM
  • Are you sure you don't mean Microsoft Bus Manager?  That is where my Realtek installation stalled out.  I believe that is different than the SM Bus Manager (which I think is the nforce PCI System Management as the device ID matches the inf file).  You can't do a search on this as Realtek has conveniently left out a term, and the proper designation is Microsoft UAA Bus Manager.  When you drill down on that, which has been pointed out in some other posts, you start getting similar posts and solutions.  Please let me know if you solve this as I'll install the XP QFE (as others have suggested) only as a last resort.
    Sunday, July 02, 2006 2:30 AM
  • well the only way i can help you is guess.

now i use this computer with vista but before it i had the same problem with xp i don't remember exactly but i rememember that you had to change a setting, its not a big problem but after the changing my sound was really great realtek ac 97 8 channel is great

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 12:38 AM
  • The Realtek drivers installed effortlessly as they should under XP without making a change of any settings, at least for me and on a variety of computers under XP, Me, and 98.  It would be great if you could post something more specific than "had to change a setting" as it would be helpful to what I've now found to be a considerable volume of persons having this identical problem under both Vistax86 and Vistax64.
    Tuesday, July 11, 2006 5:27 AM
  • I've got Ga-8N-Sli royal motherboard with ALC850 audio and I think this motherboard and similar motherboards do not support realtek High Definition audio (http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dlhd-2.aspx?lineid=2004052&famid=2004052&series=2004061&Software=True&title=HD%20Audio%20CODECs), to make it work you need to download AC'97 drivers ( http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dlac97-2.aspx?lineid=5&famid=12&series=8&Software=True ).

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 1:47 PM
  • You are exactly right.  I discovered the ALC 850 spec sheet ftp://152.104.238.194/pc/ac97/alc850/ALC850_DataSheet_1.4.pdf reveals no mention of HD audio support and I originally bought my board based on a review that said it was capable of HD.  Had I read the motherboard manual before purchasing I would have discovered this error.  Alhough the AC97 drivers solve the problem of restoring full function to my sound, I think a sound card purchase will be in the future for my "high-end" board.

Thanks,

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 5:12 PM
  • I tried to install different versions of realtek ac'97 drivers on Vista Beta 2 and the only one that gives 7.1 sound is A3.71 (which was supplied on cd when I bought my motherboard). Here is the link if you want to try to use this driver http://rapidshare.de/files/27103549/Realtek_AC97.exe.html  .
    Wednesday, July 26, 2006 4:48 PM
  • I installed vista about a week ago and have all kinds of sound problems.

I have tried installing the drivers recommended and still I have this stuttering with my sound. My speakers are fine and the device manager says all my devices are working properly!

Any help would be appreciated as I have tried all ways I can think of to get this glitch fixed.

Monday, August 07, 2006 5:17 PM
  • I am having the same problem...

But when I go into the volume control it only shows the output and the phone line.

Friday, August 11, 2006 12:12 AM
  • I feel so confused because everything on my PC says this is all working. I had just got my PC back from repair and I got everything hooked back up correctly and there is no sound. I have went through this whole PC and it keeps saying working so why can't I hear any sound from anywhere? I had great sound before I had it worked on. Thanks and I hope you can help. Doris
    Saturday, August 19, 2006 9:22 AM
  • The microphone is never work on my computer , and im playing always online i need it . Microphone is off and i can speak and if its on too and then its not working etc....

fucking realtek AC79 audio

Pleas help me :(

Sunday, August 20, 2006 6:10 PM
  • use the sound drivers for windows xp x64 from the asus website for the a8n sli deluxe motherboard and your ac97 audio should work perfectly on vista beta 2 as it works great for me and i don't even have that motherboard.
    Tuesday, August 22, 2006 4:04 PM
  • This is my problem-

I just bought a new ECS motherboard. All drivers installed fine, with the exception of the Sound Card- Real Tek AC97, of course. I noticed in the device manager that their is but one device not installed properly- and that device is labeled "PCI Device". I just happened to go through the bios, and used the bios's option to disabled the onboard sound card. When I did- The "PCI Device" disappeared.

When I enabled the sound card- The "PCI Device" Re-appeared again. It's obvious that the sound card is this unknown "PCI Device", but I'm not sure what the REAL problem is. If it is this "PCI Device", why is Windows not registering it as a "Multimedia Audio Device" as it should? I think if Windows did in fact register it as a sound card ("Multimedia Audio Device"), it would install the drivers properly, as the driver installation program would auto-detect the device, and install the driver to it.

I've tried to just manually install the PCI Device- By updating the driver, and then manually enter in the AC97 Driver Codec....but Windows fails to install the device properly due it not registering as a "Multimedia Audio Device".

If anyone has a real solution to this- It would be much appreciated.

The driver I have, is taken directly off the realtek site, and I know for a fact it IS the correct driver for my motherboard.

Sunday, October 15, 2006 11:11 AM
  •  FFury wrote:

I have a new ECS KN1 SLI Lite mobo with integrated Realteak 8 ch sound. The vista beta does not recognize the sound chip.  Realtek released a vista beta driver. While installing this driver from the setup program, the installation fails with a "Warning Install Microsoft Bus driver before installing".

Friday, October 20, 2006 9:01 PM
  • I am having trouble with my sound in my computer and i dont know what to do. If you could please tell me that would be great. Thanks .My e-mail is castillom@excite.com Thank u so much!!
    Saturday, November 11, 2006 6:21 AM
  • I've received over 40,000 hits to the blog post I made about the "Microsoft Bus Driver" error message, and many of the visitors have had success with the technique mentioned there.  There are two different options to try, both of which are QFEs.  Hopefully that will help for those looking for a solution.

Saturday, November 11, 2006 2:04 PM
  • I have a motherboard with a C-media sound card.
    When installing vista, no drivers. Since the realtek website was so slow, i endeded instaling the C-media Xp drivers, which, somehow, works on vista too...
    Monday, November 13, 2006 1:32 PM
  • I need the drriver for AC 97 Audio Devices
    Saturday, November 18, 2006 3:56 AM
  •  

Hello,
    I use Audigy with my XP Pro, here is the download site: http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/download.asp?MainCategory=1&nRegionFK=&nCountryFK=&nLanguageFK=&sOSName=Windows+XP&region=1&Product_Name=Audigy+2+ZS&Product_ID=4915&modelnumber=&driverlang=1033&OS=10&drivertype=0&x=28&y=14

copy and paste, it's a free download about 39 m! make sure it's entered in all your audio devices, enjoy, Good bye !

Saturday, November 18, 2006 9:02 PM
  • Hello,
    I use Audigy with my XP Pro, here is the download site: http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/download.asp?MainCategory=1&nRegionFK=&nCountryFK=&nLanguageFK=&sOSName=Windows+XP&region=1&Product_Name=Audigy+2+ZS&Product_ID=4915&modelnumber=&driverlang=1033&OS=10&drivertype=0&x=28&y=14

copy and paste, it's a free download about 39 m! make sure it's entered in all your audio devices, enjoy, Good bye !

Saturday, November 18, 2006 9:04 PM
  • Hello,
    I use Audigy with my XP Pro, here is the download site: http://us.creative.com/support/downl...pe=0&x=28&y=14

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 12:27 PM
  • There is a new Vista driver on the Realtek website. As usual their FTP is slower than my Gran after a dooby, but it seems to work fine!!! ZOOT! Have been putting up with 2.1 for ages!!!!!!!! YIPPEEEEEEE 5.1 sound!!!! (As you can see I'm quite happy with this!)
    Sunday, January 14, 2007 9:56 PM
  • I am running Windows Vista Ultimate Edition on an MSI K8T Neo2, with a ALC850 Realtek soundcard, and when I use the laster drivers for Vista i get the famous "Microsoft Bus Driver..." error. All I can find is Hotfixes for previous versions of Windows but not Vista.

Is there anyway to fix this problem for Windows Vista?
    Thursday, February 01, 2007 9:04 AM
  • I fixed the problem by using both device driver packs from Realtek and MSI.

1. Install the Vista_R156 pack from Realtek and reboot
    2. Run alcupd.exe/alcupd64.exe from the Realtek_AC97 MSI driverpack.
      (alcupd.exe for the x86 platform)
      (alcupd64.exe for the x64 platform.
      )
      (download your motherboard driverpack if you don't have an MSI K8T Neo2.)
    3. Reboot and Configure your speakers.

Thursday, February 01, 2007 10:02 AM
  • Actually I have a mother board with a c-media sound card. When installing windows xp. There was a Realtek '97 sound driver. Unfortunantly it was removed. In this situation I need this driver.
    Monday, June 18, 2007 2:48 PM
  • my  mother board sound divice is realtek mce xp2k(1.36). it requires bus driver

Sunday, December 09, 2007 1:05 PM
  •  

realtek sound card is inbuild in mother board . Comming error Message   sound card is in use and it showing disable so how can i solve the problem can anu one help me.

Wednesday, March 05, 2008 5:57 AM
  •  krs360 wrote:
    There is a new Vista driver on the Realtek website. As usual their FTP is slower than my Gran after a dooby, but it seems to work fine!!! ZOOT! Have been putting up with 2.1 for ages!!!!!!!! YIPPEEEEEEE 5.1 sound!!!! (As you can see I'm quite happy with this!)

Hi there how did you get the new driver for your windows vista please tell me I need it.

Sunday, October 12, 2008 1:54 PM