none
Event ID 4012 - The DFS Replication service stopped replication

Question

• I have a network with 3 domain controllers. On the DC with all the FSMO roles I am getting this error:

Log Name:      DFS Replication

Source:        DFSR
    Date:          2/25/2016 3:14:40 PM
    Event ID:      4012
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      TTLCloudDC01.ttlcloud.local
    Description:
    The DFS Replication service stopped replication on the folder with the following local path: C:\Windows\SYSVOL\domain. This server has been disconnected from other partners for 107 days, which is longer than the time allowed by the MaxOfflineTimeInDays parameter (60). DFS Replication considers the data in this folder to be stale, and this server will not replicate the folder until this error is corrected. 

To resume replication of this folder, use the DFS Management snap-in to remove this server from the replication group, and then add it back to the group. This causes the server to perform an initial synchronization task, which replaces the stale data with fresh data from other members of the replication group. 

Additional Information: 
    Error: 9061 (The replicated folder has been offline for too long.) 
    Replicated Folder Name: SYSVOL Share 
    Replicated Folder ID: 0D7C118A-F911-4868-A165-B7C41CFFC47A 
    Replication Group Name: Domain System Volume 
    Replication Group ID: 54492259-2310-4AFB-954A-A96C0EDF70DA 
    Member ID: EA8243B6-2A77-4C19-AED1-0E206C3A6049
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="DFSR" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="49152">4012</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-02-25T15:14:40.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>53991</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>DFS Replication</Channel>
        <Computer>TTLCloudDC01.ttlcloud.local</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>0D7C118A-F911-4868-A165-B7C41CFFC47A</Data>
        <Data>107</Data>
        <Data>C:\Windows\SYSVOL\domain</Data>
        <Data>9061</Data>
        <Data>The replicated folder has been offline for too long.</Data>
        <Data>SYSVOL Share</Data>
        <Data>Domain System Volume</Data>
        <Data>54492259-2310-4AFB-954A-A96C0EDF70DA</Data>
        <Data>EA8243B6-2A77-4C19-AED1-0E206C3A6049</Data>
        <Data>60</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Would anyone know my best practice for a resolution?

Thanks

Dave 

Thursday, February 25, 2016 3:27 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I agree with Martin Binder.

For each domain controller enabled for content freshness, evaluate if DFS Replication has logged an event ID 4012 that indicates replication of the folder has stopped because replication has failed for longer than the MaxOfflineTimeInDays parameter. 

You could modify the DfsrMachineConfig setting for MaxOfflineTimeInDays on each DFSR server with the below cmdlet:

wmic.exe /namespace:\\root\microsoftdfs path DfsrMachineConfig set MaxOfflineTimeInDays=120

Please go through the following article to get more information:

Implementing Content Freshness protection in DFSR

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askds/2009/11/18/implementing-content-freshness-protection-in-dfsr/

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Triumphtech Monday, February 29, 2016 12:50 PM
    Friday, February 26, 2016 2:49 AM

All replies

• Hi

Check this similar case,

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/5e0e3671-0681-4770-af9b-1b50d49291e6/event-4012-error-9061-the-replicated-folder-has-been-offline-for-too-long?forum=winserverfiles

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Thursday, February 25, 2016 3:40 PM
  • > disconnected from other partners for 107 days, which is longer than the
    > time allowed by the MaxOfflineTimeInDays parameter (60). DFS Replication

> Would anyone know my best practice for a resolution?

Increase MaxOfflineTimeInDays to 120 then restart DFSR.

Thursday, February 25, 2016 4:03 PM
  • Hi,

I agree with Martin Binder.

For each domain controller enabled for content freshness, evaluate if DFS Replication has logged an event ID 4012 that indicates replication of the folder has stopped because replication has failed for longer than the MaxOfflineTimeInDays parameter. 

You could modify the DfsrMachineConfig setting for MaxOfflineTimeInDays on each DFSR server with the below cmdlet:

wmic.exe /namespace:\\root\microsoftdfs path DfsrMachineConfig set MaxOfflineTimeInDays=120

Please go through the following article to get more information:

Implementing Content Freshness protection in DFSR

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askds/2009/11/18/implementing-content-freshness-protection-in-dfsr/

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Triumphtech Monday, February 29, 2016 12:50 PM
    Friday, February 26, 2016 2:49 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Monday, February 29, 2016 6:02 AM
  • Thanks for the info, it was helpful in some respects but I still have  the issue. I increased the number of days on all DC's by running the command "wmic.exe /namespace:\\root\microsoftdfs path DfsrMachineConfig set MaxOfflineTimeInDays=120"

I then rebooted and I still get the same error in the event logs. I then followed thsi article https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askds/2009/11/18/implementing-content-freshness-protection-in-dfsr/ - as recommend to recreate the DFS share. Put as mine are SYSVOL shares it wont allow me to do this. Would you have any further ideas?

Thanks

Monday, February 29, 2016 11:55 AM
  • Actually doing this command on all  DCs:

Worked! I just had to wait an hour.

Thanks for your help.

Dave

Monday, February 29, 2016 12:50 PM
  • Hi,

I am glad to hear that your issue was successfully resolved. If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Tuesday, March 01, 2016 1:41 AM