none
Microsoft Office Keyboard on Windows 7 (32 bit)

Question

• Does anybody at Microsoft ever read these questions?  Seems like a lot of folks have Microsoft Office Keyboards and love them (I've tried some others and keep coming back to this one.)  If there is something about this keyboard that makes it impossible to update its driver/software, how about giving us something that pretty much looks and feels the same.  Do any former users of this keyboard have another keyboard that they like as well (excluding media-heads) for general computing, work, etc. using Microsoft Office?
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 10:48 PM

All replies

• I really hope so, like yourself I'm also very happy with my office keyboard, During programming the cut/copy/paste & application switches on the left saves me a lot of time.

MS please get a updated 32 & 64 driver for this hardware.

Tuesday, November 10, 2009 6:06 PM
  • I support that - its the best keyboard I've ever had - I've got two, and really miss the support - particularly the scroll wheel - W7 x64
    Friday, November 13, 2009 2:12 PM
  • Me too!  My wife and I have used the Microsoft Office Keyboard for years, and are now dismayed that there is no Windows 7 Driver nor any replacement keyboard with the cut-copy-paste buttons and scroll wheel.  Why doesn't SOMEONE answer this need?
    Friday, November 20, 2009 2:02 PM
  • I have two of these keyboards.  As a disabled user, they are a godsend.  Now very dismayed to discover my new computer running Windows 7 cannot use them.  Come on Microsoft, it cannot be that difficult to add the scrollwheel function to the other keyboards.  That is the only function I have failed to get working.
    Monday, November 23, 2009 11:23 AM
  • This was driving me crazy but thanks to Barcode 01 (on http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistahardware/thread/e56a845c-72dc-442f-94ce-dec6f60724b5/) (and a bit more tweaking) the solution (for 32 AND 64 bit Windows 7) is:

1. Install Microsoft IntelliType Pro 7 (download latest version: free from MS), select Wireless Desktop Elite Keyboard or Digital Media Pro in Control panel / Keyboard / Key settings. All special keys should work, apart from the scroll wheel.

Most of the keys work as they should. You can reassign the few that that don't, which for me were = ( ) and Office Home (rarely used anyway!).

Now the brilliant bit from "Barcode 01"...

2. Install AutoHotkey (free) from http://www.autohotkey.com/

3. Copy this script into AutoHotkey then save as (e.g.) "keyboardscroll" in any convenient directory:

; --------------------------------------------------
    ; Lines that start with a ; semicolon are comments.
    ; Microsoft Office Keyboard RT9450: Making the ScrollWheel work under Windows 7. ScrollUp/Down Normal, Fast, Faster, Fastest

sc10B Up::Send {WheelDown}
    sc111 Up::Send {WheelDown 3}
    sc112 Up::Send {WheelDown 5}
    sc11F Up::Send {WheelDown 7}
    sc10B Down::Send {WheelUp}
    sc111 Down::Send {WheelUp 3}
    sc112 Down::Send {WheelUp 5}
    sc11F Down::Send {WheelUp 7}

Return
    ; --------------------------------------------------

4. Make the saved script start at Windows startup by adding a shortcut to it in the START/"startup" directory.

5. VERY IMPORTANT

The keyboard has to be plugged into the (round) keyboard PS/2 socket, NOT USB (a USB - PS/2 adapter came with the keyboard - start looking for it now!). Windows will recognise the PS/2 keyboard and will need to restart.

My scroll wheel worked straight away. Zooming in/out of documents didn't, so I added these extra lines to the Autohotkey script:

^sc10B Up::Send ^{WheelDown}
    ^sc111 Up::Send ^{WheelDown 3}
    ^sc112 Up::Send ^{WheelDown 5}
    ^sc11F Up::Send ^{WheelDown 7}
    ^sc10B Down::Send ^{WheelUp}
    ^sc111 Down::Send ^{WheelUp 3}
    ^sc112 Down::Send ^{WheelUp 5}
    ^sc11F Down::Send ^{WheelUp 7}

Return

That's it. Enjoy using your scroll wheel again!
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 10:34 AM
  • This looks like it's the real deal, so thank you! HOWEVER: for those of us who are not professional code writers, could you please provide a step-by-step for the AutoHotKey part of the process? I downloaded the application and opened it up, but it looks very complicated. If I copy the lines you suggest (the "sc10B Up::Send {WheelDown}" stuff), where do I paste it? And where is "the saved script start at Windows startup "? Sorry to be such a dummy, but thanks to you guys I'm so tantalizingly close to a scroll solution!
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 10:57 AM
  • Daniel,

Pleased to help.

After you have downloaded and installed Autohotkey, all you need to do is
    1. Right-click an empty spot on your desktop or in a folder of your choice.
    2. In the menu that appears, select New -> AutoHotkey Script .
    3. Type a name for the file, ensuring that it ends in .ahk . For example: Scroll.ahk
    4. Right-click the file and choose Edit Script.
         5. This should open a Notepad window. Copy in these lines underneath the standard text:

; Microsoft Office Keyboard RT9450: Making the ScrollWheel work under Windows 7. ScrollUp/Down Normal, Fast, Faster, Fastest

Return

; makes control-scroll work for zooming

Return

6. Save and then close the file.

7. Double-click the file to test it - a new green "H" icon should appear on the right of the taskbar (you may need to look in the "show hidden icons" section).  If your keyboard is connected to the PS/2 port, your scroll wheel should now be working!

8. To make the script load automatically at Windows start, right click the .ahk file and choose "create shortcut"

9. Right click the new shortcut file and select "copy"

10. Click the start button, click "all programs", navigate to the file "startup"

11. Right click and "open" startup, right click again and <paste> a copy of the shortcut to your new .ahk file

That's it! The script should now load when you start Windows.

Good luck!

Tuesday, December 8, 2009 9:59 AM
  • Big Al, thank you. Incredibly nice of you to take the trouble to explain it to me in detail. DR
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 5:04 PM
  • My computer is too new and does NOT have a PS/2 port.  Any suggestions on how to get the above script to work?
    Saturday, December 19, 2009 2:29 PM
  • I got lucky!  Just had a custom PC built, and it has PS2 ports.  I am running Windows 7 64 bit Home, and the above fix works.  Now that I know I can program the keys, I'll have to dig into this scripting program a bit and see what else I can do with it - looks pretty neat!

The scroll wheel and most of the keys work now.  The "Mail" Key fires up Windows Live Messenger (instead of Outlook), maybe that's one fo the things I can fix with the script.

Thanks to Big Al and the rest for the fix - I love my MS Office Keyboard, and in looking around the Internet, I don't see anything quite like it in the marketplace today.  Much appreciated!

Best,  Chuck

Thursday, December 24, 2009 6:44 AM
  • Hi All
    Happy New Year..
    I too have been wrestling with getting the office keyboard to work in Xp Pro...I found this a few days ago and can confirm its works great in Xp and Windows 7.
    Thank you for your efforts,much appreciated
    Regards
    Grahame
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 11:09 AM
  • Nice solution. but I had a problem.  when windows restarted, I can see autokey is running the correct script, but wheel is not working. I must reload the script again to make it work after windows restarted. I am sure I didn't run the wrong script. please help me figure out, thanks a lot.
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 3:04 AM
  • BigAl,

Thank you!  Works perfectly on my new Windows 7 64-bit!  I was really bummed when I found out that MS wasn't supporting their best-ever keyboard.  You are a g-d-send!

Thanks!
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 6:42 PM
  • I too would like to thank BigAl for his help in supporting this great keyboard.  For awhile there I thought that I was just being silly - that is, that I was just "attached" to my MS Office Keyboard and I could find another, newer model in the marketplace that could replace it.  Well, I was wrong, my MS "Office" keyboard is still the best out there.  The Scroll Wheel is especially hard to find, and a feature that I use on the keyboard all the time, especially in applications that I can "two hand" mouse in the right hand, scroll whell on the keyboard for the left hand.

This script works great with the MS Office Keyboard and Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit version.  I do have an issue from time to time where the script does not load at boot, but if I copy the script into the startup folder over again the issue goes away.

Well done job for AutoHotKey and this script, and thanks to all for their assistance.  Super!

Best,  Chuck

Monday, February 15, 2010 2:21 AM
  • Well I did it all, except pasting into startup and I can' t figure out how to do that...there's not a place that accepts that kind of command.And when I plug my keyboard into the PS2, nothing at all works.  And everything works on USB BUT the wheel. What'd I do wrong?
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 5:39 PM
  • Now I got it to work on the PS2 but it still will not allow scrolling on the Intellitype Office board RT9450. I have Windows 7, but it's a very old version of the keyboard...maybe that's why
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 6:37 PM
  • Works now! I just had to mess with it a bit. YAY!!!!!! Mucho thanks muchacos
    Friday, April 23, 2010 1:37 AM
  • I have the same problem with win 7 32-bit.  I have script in Startup but Script loads (green H) but won't work.  If I right click on the green H and "Reload This Script" then works OK.  If I run directly also works - can anyone help explain what's going wrong
    • Proposed as answer by Kangajoe Saturday, September 4, 2010 9:52 AM
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 11:07 AM
  • Hi Everyone, I found this fix works very well in Windows 7 32bit for the MS Office keyboard.

This is how I applied it.

1. I downloaded and installed MS Intellitype Pro 7.1.  http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/download/download.aspx?category=MK

2. Next I configured my MS Office keyboard as a 'Digital Media Pro Keyboard'

3. I then went to the 'Start-up Manager' (type 'startup manager into search to find it) and unchecked MS Intellitype Pro, so it won't autorun at start-up.

4. I downloaded AutoHotkey and installed it.  http://www.autohotkey.com/download/

5. Next I created a new folder in My Documents and named it 'Office Keyboard'

6. I opened this folder right clicked and selected New (second from bottom of list) AutoHotkey script.

7. I then named this new file and called it 'Scroll Wheel'

8. Next I right clicked on the 'Scroll Wheel' file and selected 'Edit Script'

9. This will open a Notepad window. Delete all text and then you can paste the script command lines listed in the above post.

Return

; makes control-scroll work for zooming

Return

10. Now close the window saving the changes.

11. Next you need to convert the .ahk file to an .exe file, to do this open the 'Convert .ahk to .exe' utility.  You will find this in the AutoHotkey folder in programs.

12. Now save that new .exe file into the same folder (Office Keyboard) I called mine 'Scroll Wheel .exe'

13. Open Start-up Manager as you did before and select 'Add a Program'.  Navigate to your new Scroll Wheel .exe file and select it.

14. Now everytime Windows 7 starts this little program will run and the scroll wheel will work!

WORD AND EXCEL BUTTONS NOT WORKING?

You can use the same process as above to create programs that will get these buttons working too!

The command lines to paste in are as follows (you may need to alter slightly, this is my location for Office 2010)

sc113:: Run C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\WINWORD.exe

sc114:: Run C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\EXCEL.exe

I hope you enjoy this fix for our favourite keyboard as much as I have! :)

• Proposed as answer by tom1138 Tuesday, September 13, 2011 6:49 PM
    Saturday, September 4, 2010 10:29 AM
  • Is there a working fix for those of us not able to use a PS2 port cause of it being unavailable on 64bit Windows 7?
    Sunday, January 30, 2011 8:44 PM
  • Good question,  I have been running the script now for about a year and now have to move to a USB KVM and am not looking forward to it...

Microsoft step up to the place and start looking after your own gear...

You have provided the best keyboard ever and now am let down by your poor service to continue that excellence.

Cheers from DownUnder.....

Michael

Saturday, March 19, 2011 9:53 AM
  • Worked beautifully on Windows 7 x64, though I ended up adding a string to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run with the path to the script .exe as a value, since msconfig wouldn't let me add items, I couldn't add a shortcut to Startup and I couldn't find the startup manager.

A few extra useful lines to add to the script before converting it to a .exe:

; Word and Excel keys for Office 10 on Windows 7 x64

sc113:: Run C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\WINWORD.exe
    sc114:: Run C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\EXCEL.exe

; Application back and forward keys

sc109:: ShiftAltTab
    sc11E:: AltTab

; Files key
    sc105:: Run explorer

; Calendar key
    sc115:: send #b{Left}{Enter}

; Cut, Copy and Paste keys
    sc117:: ^x
    sc118:: ^c
    sc10A:: ^v

Monday, June 6, 2011 8:29 PM
  • Just found this keyboard alternative:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=LK-7802&cat=KYB

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003NGJ7RK/

If it's N/A just keep searching for "http://www.google.com/search?q=keyboard+with+scroll+wheel+and+copy+paste+buttons" and at Amazon, etc. occasionally as I could not find ANY keyboard with scroll wheel and copy paste buttons just last month.

Another possibility: http://www.amazon.com/Multimedia-Keyboard-Trackball-Wireless-GKM561R/dp/B002H0BOBA/

I'm compelled to rant but you are not compelled to read any further...

Don't expect Microsoft to ever release an updated driver or to care what any thinks; they are the ultimate narcissist who think their way is best.

How many people do you think have asked that the "Rename" and "Delete" context menu items be separated? Yet ever since Win 95 they are still right next to each other - stupid!

Who likes the Office 2007 ribbon? not many that I know of, I mean what the heck is "Home"? Totally unintuitive. Long live Libre Office!

Thursday, August 18, 2011 3:57 AM
  • Hmm, I tried teh 64bit drivers for 7.0 and 7.1 and tried your instructions, but neither worked?

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=3086

• Edited by tom1138 Tuesday, September 13, 2011 2:53 PM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 2:46 PM
  • This method by KangaJoe works!  Thanks for the super detailed write up!

BTW, if anyone can't find Startup Manager, you can just delete Intellitype from regedit:

[Windows Key} + R > "regedit" > HKEYLM > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Run > iType

Also, try plugging into and testing different USB ports!  Sounds weird but just do it!

• Edited by tom1138 Tuesday, September 13, 2011 6:56 PM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 6:52 PM
  • Ditto, gotta have that scroll wheel working.
    Monday, October 17, 2011 9:15 PM
  • KangaJoe's script and the Intellitype 7.1 worked 100% for me just now, I hope it all translates to 64-bit when I upgrade next week.

You guys that think of this stuff like the AutoHotkey script are just amazing to me, thank you for your contributions and sharing of your talents.

Sunday, April 29, 2012 4:44 PM
  • How old this keyboard is and how GREAT it is? Well... October 2017 and still running and I do daily work on it. A few months back I got the docking station for my reliable Thinkpad R500 (got it 2009). Today I revisited this issue and realized I now have a PS/2 port with the docking station. So I found the USB-to-PS/2 adapter in my old stuff and a few minutes later the SCROLL WHEEL came back from the dead! and running in Windows 10. Thanks guys!!!!

Jorge Delgado

Thursday, October 19, 2017 8:05 PM