Turn off (not disable) Action Center icon via registry RRS feed

• Question

• Howdy,
    We can easily disable Action Center icon in Windows 10 via the following registry key:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer]
    "DisableNotificationCenter"=dword:00000001

But that will completely disable Action Center and its button will become gray, not possible to change its state.
    I don't wanna disable it, just wanna turn it off, like we do manually in:

Settings > System > Notifications & Actions > Turn system icons on or off

For this one, I didn't find a registry key, also the following article does not work for Windows 10:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/19085-system-icons-enable-disable.html

Please help me find a way to just turn it off via registry without disabling and locking down the Action Center button.

* Must be via .reg or .bat.

Thanks in advance :)

• Edited by OSVBNET Friday, November 6, 2015 11:46 AM
    Friday, November 6, 2015 11:38 AM

Answers

• Hi

You can't just turn off Action center. Either you use it or disable it. In the settings pane you can control what apps show notications but this can't be done by GPO.

regards,

signatureforums

Friday, November 13, 2015 5:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Since Windows 10 has metro UI, not every option in it can be controlled by registry entry. Any way I tried to capture the usable registry for this option but unfortunately without success.

The only changed entry is a value under

And it is not an available value as I can tell, the most useful thing I found is an Group policy called “Remove Notifications and Action Center”

This policy setting removes Notifications and Action Center from the notification area on the taskbar.

The notification area is located at the far right end of the taskbar and includes icons for current notifications and the system clock. 

If this setting is enabled, Notifications and Action Center is not displayed in the notification area. The user will be able to read notifications when they appear, but they won’t be able to review any notifications they miss.

Regards,

D. Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 2:28 AM
  • Hi

You can't just turn off Action center. Either you use it or disable it. In the settings pane you can control what apps show notications but this can't be done by GPO.

regards,

signatureforums

Friday, November 13, 2015 5:43 PM
  • I figured out that if you just add that exact registry key > restart explorer > then change the value back to "0" > and restart explorer again, that will keep it enabled but it will keep it turned off until specified otherwise.

Here is a powershell script for you:

Do{

#This supresses error message due to the "DisableNotificationCenter" key not being generated yet
    $ErrorActionPreference = 'SilentlyContinue'

#This will create the "Explorer" path
    New-Item -Path "HKCU:\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows" -Name "Explorer" 

#This will create the "DisableNotificationCenter" key and set it to 1 to "Temp Disable and remove it from taskbar"
    New-ItemProperty "HKCU:\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer" -Name "DisableNotificationCenter" -PropertyType DWORD -Value 1

#This will restart explorer as that is needed to make action center go away

Stop-Process -ProcessName explorer

#Sleep timer needed to give explorer time to restart a new instance

Start-Sleep -seconds 5

#Change value of the "DisableNotificationCenter" back to "0" to re-enable in settings BUT wont show back on taskbar

Set-ItemProperty "HKCU:\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer" -Name "DisableNotificationCenter" -Value 0

#Restart explorer one more time to un-grey in settings panel

Stop-Process -ProcessName explorer

#Check Value and stop when it equals "0"  (technically this Do Until loop isnt necessary but I like to do loops to ensure it is checking the value and repeating until the process I want is set)

$CheckValue = Get-ItemPropertyValue "HKCU:\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer" -Name "DisableNotificationCenter"

}Until($CheckValue -eq 0)

Thursday, December 19, 2019 8:23 PM