gpu sharing RRS feed

• Question

• I've gotten a thrust into the gpu in a server world about a month ago and i'm finding it hard to believe that MS best answer to vmware and citrix is DDA.  What is in the works?  I can see how dda is a step forward from remote fx allowing the os to have direct access to the hardware, However there should still be a way to have a layer between that allows the hardware to be utilized on what ever vm needs it.  Is there an update to hyper-v on the way?

many thanks,

matt

IT guy

Friday, January 17, 2020 5:56 PM

Answers

• Hi Matt,

I want to say that your current discovery is correct, Microsoft on how to do this is just using DDA. which works from Hyper-V Server 2016+.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/virtualization/hyper-v/deploy/deploying-graphics-devices-using-dda

Let me explain something, smart as you maybe have known all of them:

1.GPU acceleration is based on RemoteFX, which is part of the Remote Desktop Service.

2.We need to be aware of is the fact that not every Hyper-V virtual machine can take advantage of GPU acceleration. Obviously, guest operating system support is required, but there is more to it than that. When you create a virtual machine in Hyper-V, you are asked whether you would like to create a Generation 1 virtual machine or a Generation 2 virtual machine. Generation 2 virtual machines do not include an option to add a RemoteFX 3D Video Adapter. The option exists only for Generation 1 virtual machines.

3.The config UI of RemoteFX vGPU has been removed from Hyper-V Manager of Windows Server 2019, you can configure RemoteFX vGPU by using Powershell on Windows Server 2019.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 20, 2020 1:58 AM

All replies

• Hi Matt,

I want to say that your current discovery is correct, Microsoft on how to do this is just using DDA. which works from Hyper-V Server 2016+.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/virtualization/hyper-v/deploy/deploying-graphics-devices-using-dda

Let me explain something, smart as you maybe have known all of them:

1.GPU acceleration is based on RemoteFX, which is part of the Remote Desktop Service.

2.We need to be aware of is the fact that not every Hyper-V virtual machine can take advantage of GPU acceleration. Obviously, guest operating system support is required, but there is more to it than that. When you create a virtual machine in Hyper-V, you are asked whether you would like to create a Generation 1 virtual machine or a Generation 2 virtual machine. Generation 2 virtual machines do not include an option to add a RemoteFX 3D Video Adapter. The option exists only for Generation 1 virtual machines.

3.The config UI of RemoteFX vGPU has been removed from Hyper-V Manager of Windows Server 2019, you can configure RemoteFX vGPU by using Powershell on Windows Server 2019.

Regards

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 20, 2020 1:58 AM
  • is RemotFX still a valid solution for RDP applications?

where would i find documentation for deploying it in server 2019 via powershell?

IT guy

Tuesday, January 21, 2020 7:22 PM
  • Please check this:

Add-VMRemoteFx3dVideoAdapter

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/hyper-v/add-vmremotefx3dvideoadapter?view=win10-ps

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 1:21 AM
  • how do i specify which adapter the host machine uses for the remotefx device?  it used to be a setting on the system hypervisor.

IT guy

Thursday, January 23, 2020 9:14 PM