none
Windows 7 does not auto connect to wireless network

Question

• Here is some additional information on this topic.

Problem #1

I regularly connect to 4-5 routers every week. These networks use various routers including Linksys, Belkin, Verizon MiFi, ATT Uverse, and several others (So this is NOT a router specific problem). 

I have 3 laptops (Thinkpad, and two Dells) running XP and one new Dell E5500 running Windows 7. The new Dell NEVER auto connects to any Wifi that I have found. I have to manually select the network from the system tray. After connecting I stay connect for the duration. 

Problem #2

Also, I originally had the "DELL" Wifi card in the laptop. I would loose WiFi connections every 5-10 minutes. I replaced the DELL card with the Intel card and have not had that issue since.

Friday, June 18, 2010 5:05 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

When trying to connect the Wireless network, please check the “Start the connection automatically” option as BurrWalnut was mentioned. Then, when you trying to connect certain Wireless network next time, it should connect to the Wireless network automatically.

Regarding the second problem, it can occur by incompatible Wireless adapter driver. To fix the problem, please upgrade the driver to the latest one.

Thanks,

Novak

• Marked as answer by Novak Wu Monday, June 28, 2010 2:02 AM
    Monday, June 21, 2010 2:26 AM

All replies

• When a connection is initially set up, there are two further options that can be selected ‘Start this connection automatically’ and ‘Connect even if the network is not……‘. Do you have one or both of these ticked?
    Friday, June 18, 2010 6:15 PM
  • Check to make sure that the manufacturers wifi card software that sometimes gets installed along with the drivers for the card are not conflicting with Windows 7 for control over accessing wireless networks.

physical graffiti
    Monday, June 21, 2010 1:17 AM
  •  

Hi,

When trying to connect the Wireless network, please check the “Start the connection automatically” option as BurrWalnut was mentioned. Then, when you trying to connect certain Wireless network next time, it should connect to the Wireless network automatically.

Regarding the second problem, it can occur by incompatible Wireless adapter driver. To fix the problem, please upgrade the driver to the latest one.

Thanks,

Novak

• Marked as answer by Novak Wu Monday, June 28, 2010 2:02 AM
    Monday, June 21, 2010 2:26 AM
  • hi, i have the same problem of windows 7 starter not automatically connecting to my wireless lan. the weird thing is i do not have the option to connect automatically. i am using an unsecure cisco router. i can see other wireless lan that are password protected that has the connect automatically option. is this some sort of security feature in windows (i'am using mcafee suite)?
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 1:14 PM
  • I had the same problem as you. I just got a new laptop with Windows 7 (64-bit) and when I wanted to connect to a wireless network it would make me manually select the unsecure network and automatically connected to the secured one. Luckily i figured it out (tho there was a bit of digging involved)

1. open Network and Sharing Center

2. click on Manage Wireless Networks on the left-hand side of that window

3. look for the network you're trying to automatically connect to - if it says 'Manually Connect' on the end, right-click it (you literally have to click where it says that)

4. select Properties from the right-click menu

5. under the Connection tab find the box labeled "Connect automatically when this network is within range" - if the box doesn't have a check then click it

Hopefully that'll fix things up for you

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 2:26 AM
  • I too am experiencing a similiar issue with my new Windows 7/Toshiba notebook.  I can connect to WiFi nodes all over the place but I can't access my own wireless router. I've tried with and without all the encryption levels and even as an open connection but nothing.  The notebook can see my router, and when attempting to connect it gets a "cannot connect", or an unable to connect" response.  Rarely, I will get a temporary connection through my router which fails within minutes.   I have a desktop and a laptop using XP SP3 and a laptop running Vista on my home network and they all operate perfectly well.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 6:18 PM
  • I am having the same problem of it not connecting autmoatically and yes I have "connect autmotically when this network is in range"  and the connect even when not broadcasting SSID" checked. So what else is wrong in windows 7 that prevents me from automatically connecting? My XP laptop has no issue and neither does my android phone.
    Monday, July 18, 2011 11:21 PM
  •  

Hi Doug

This is very late reply but I hope other can find it too and that it will be some help to others as well.

So...you're talking about Dell PC here. I would check in a first place in Dell CP System Mgr. if you have option to disabled WiFi upon cable/LAN connection. That means that every time you plug in the cable to your machine it will disable WiFi radio. To do so, go to: Start->Control Panel->Dell Control Point. Once opened, go to 'Connection Manager' on the left and then click blue link in a middle of the bottom part of the window saying 'Troubleshoot my connections'. Click 'Profiles' on the left hand side menu and than click blue link (in a middle of the bottom part of the window) stating 'Change Settings'. Choose 'Program Settings' and make sure that 'WiFi radio' box is not checked under 'When LAN is connected'.

Once above step is completed you can do the following: If you're WiFi is set to connect automatically, make sure that 'WLAN AutoConfig' service is set to automatic startup and start it up. To do so go to: Start->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services. Enable WiFi and wait a moment and then disable WiFi radio by using hardware switch on your laptop. If it did not connect please try restarting 'WLAN AutoConfig' service.

After these you can check the setup of your WiFi card. Go to: Start->Control Panel->Network and Sharing Center. On the left hand side click 'Change adapter settings'. Double-click your WiFi card icon. Once WiFi network connection properties windows will open click 'Properties' button at the bottom. Than pick TCP/IP v4 from the list (highlight it) and click 'Properties' again. Make sure that options to automatically obtain IP address are checked. In relation to this you may need to also check the IP pool range on your WiFi router. To do so: Open IE browser->type in the address bar 192.168.1.0 to access routers configuration tool (or whatever IP address your router has). Login using admin credentials (presumably different from your Windows login) and within WiFi settings look for 'IP pool range'. This has to be setup to the same or higher count of the machines connecting to this router (i.e. if you have 3 PCs means IP pool=4).

Now we can check your WiFi Card settings. Go to: Start->Control Panel->Network and Sharing Center. On the left hand side click 'Change adapter settings'. Double-click your WiFi card icon. Once WiFi network connection properties windows will open click 'Configure' button just under the name of your card. Go to 'Advanced' tab on top and make sure that Speed&Duplex is on default. Set most of them to default where possible. If 'restore factory settings' button is available please do so. Don't forget about restarting WLAN AutoConfig service each time you change some settings (either disabled and enable WiFi radio).

If these failed you can try this solution if you feel brave enough to mess with it and do not blame somebody else after that ;) Try this solution here: How to find my WiFi profile settings folder.

Now...regards your Dell WiFi card. If this is PCMCIA card that can be inserted at the side of the lappy it can be anything from drivers issues to compatibility between 'friendly' vendors hardware. I have experienced the same with Linksys PCMCIA in the past. Simply noticed that if the root of hardware policy and drivers does not include the name of your WiFi card vendor you can assume you will have issue for life unless the vendor will be so kind and send you personal update (never happens). So, try updating drivers and set system to let Windows manage your WiFi connection. If this is in place, try using Dell's WiFi manager to see if it will keep the connection stable and check its configuration to make sure it's not set to 'use cable/LAN connection as primary one'.

P.S. Hope you're not connecting to AD either use any GPO's or certificates. If so, you may have a look into these areas as well.

Hope this helps.

Muzzy

• Edited by cranky27 Thursday, May 09, 2013 4:29 PM
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 5:38 PM