none
vista sp2 install appcrash trustedinstaller.exe wcp.dll

Question

• Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1 -2.00 GB of brand new crucial ram, matched to desktop using crucial memory compatibility url. windows is activated.

loaded pre-service pack windows vista home premium on a gateway by means of format reload os. no antivirus have ever been loaded on this desktop. errors with windows module installer began preventing the successfull install of downloaded standalone version of vista sp1. error info listed below:

Product -Windows Modules Installer
    Problem -WindowsWcpOtherFailure3
    Problem signature -OsVersion: 6.0.6001.18000:1, File: base\wcp\manifestparser\hashverify.cpp, Function: Windows::ManifestParser::Rtl::CmsVerifyFileHashes, Line: 547, Status: c015001b, StackHash: 0x9ca9e3d7, OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3, Locale ID: 1033
    Extra information about the problem -Bucket ID: 159336341

reboot, then tried installing again with success. now trying to load downloaded standalone vista sp2, and windows module installer continues failing, but i'm unable to install sp2 successfully. error info listed below:

Product -Windows Modules Installer
    Problem -Stopped working
    Problem signature -Problem Event Name: APPCRASH, Application Name: TrustedInstaller.exe, Application Version: 6.0.6001.18000, Application Timestamp: 47918bff, Fault Module Name: wcp.dll, Fault Module Version: 6.0.6002.18005, Fault Module Timestamp: 49e0380e, Exception Code: c0000005, Exception Offset: 0018e0fb, OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3, Locale ID: 1033, Additional Information 1: 8bf7, Additional Information 2: 24c7abcd251f1c5dcc25973827964134, Additional Information 3: 6711, Additional Information 4: 148d166d604451170f5ebfbbfb6b1f2c,
    Extra information about the problem -Bucket ID: 1254775648

available solutions have been to install standalone copy of sp2. actually, i had already needed to do that due to failure using windows update agent sp2 install option. the lack of windows updating ability was my reason for formatting and reloading the os; intentionally never installing either antivirus or other 3rd party applications.

i've installed system update readiness tool, and it hasn't found/corrected any issues. copy of checksur.log file from c:\windows\cbs directory.

=================================
    Checking System Update Readiness.
    Binary Version 6.0.6002.22574
    Package Version 11.0
    2011-05-07 13:41

Checking Windows Servicing Packages
    Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs
    Checking Package Watchlist
    Checking Component Watchlist
    Checking Packages
    Checking Component Store

Summary:
    Seconds executed: 342
    No errors detected

• Edited by p3pp3rd1n3 Sunday, May 08, 2011 1:57 AM troubleshooting
    Sunday, May 08, 2011 1:31 AM

Answers

• Based on the situation, it is suggested to perform In-place update to repair the corrupt system files.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 6:03 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Would you please go to Services.msc and check if Windows Modules Installer service is still there?

If the service is missing, we need to manually replace the corrupt Windows Modules Installer by going to another computer with the same Windows Version, copy the TrustedInstaller.exe file and import corresponding registry.

While In-place upgrade is another solution.

Note: After performing In-Place Upgrade, your personal data and installed programs usually will not be removed but we may need to run Windows Update to install all the available updates for your system to update these system files to the current version. This troubleshooting process is time consuming. Your patience is highly appreciated.

As to the steps of In-Place Upgrade, I still would like to explain that it will reinstall all system files with this method. You may need to reinstall some applications to upgrade some files to a higher version, because they may be replaced during the installation of Windows. It will take about two hours to repair. Your personal files and settings will be kept as they were after the installation. However, it is always recommended to backup the important information and files to other partitions or other disks before doing it.

If you would like to perform the In-place Upgrade, let’s refer to the following steps.

1. Start the computer by using the current Operating System.
    2. Insert the Windows Vista DVD in the computer's DVD drive.
    3. Use one of the following procedures, as appropriate:
    If Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install now screen appears. Click Install now.
    If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps:
    a. Click Start, type Drive:\setup.exe, and then click OK.
    Note Drive is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.
    b. Click Install now.
    4. When you reach the "Which type of installation do you want?" screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the current operating system to Windows Vista.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 8:27 AM
  • the windows module installer is still in the services list.  when i get the error message stating "windows module installer has stopped working", the service is no longer started.  i can indeed manually start the service, but it will continue to crash.  to answer your question, i do not have a second, working windows vista pc to copy any files from.
    brian pepperdine
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 1:39 PM
  • Based on the situation, it is suggested to perform In-place update to repair the corrupt system files.

Regards,

Thursday, May 12, 2011 6:03 AM
  • Hi,

How is it going? I would appreciate it if you could drop me a note to let me know the status of the issue. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards

Magon Liu

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Friday, May 20, 2011 7:05 AM
  • unfortunately, i do not have the pc any longer.  i will try and get it back to try the solution above, then post a reply as to the outcome.  thank you for your time.
    brian pepperdine
    Friday, May 20, 2011 1:35 PM
  • Vista Ultimate SP2, Windows Updates not to install, Trusted Installer 6.0.6002.18005 fails with the modul wcp.dll

Hi Magon Liu,

on my Vista I have very late updated to SP2, but successful. After this I had to install first 70 Windows Updates and second 18 Windows Updates. The first 70 Updates were installed fine. The second 18 Windows Updates are not to install. The install process hangs e.g. at 5%, 33%. 92%, but it runs not up to the end.

In the eventlog I can see: TrustedInstaller.exe 6.0.6002.18005 fails with the  faulty modul wcp.dll.

I had the idea, to replace the defective wcp.dll with the same wcp.dll from another Vista SP2 with a running Windows Update.

But the access to the wcp.dll ist denied, only the Trusted Installer has access.

What can I do?

Regards

czer27

Monday, November 26, 2012 5:20 PM
  • You should be able to take Ownership of that file/directory, which would then allow you to set permissions on the file/directory.  I don't have Vista anymore, but the steps below should be close:

1) right click file/directory, select Properties

2) select Security tab, click Advanced button, Owner tab, Edit button

3) click Other users or groups... button, select <local computer>\Administrators (group) from list (you should assign Ownership to the Local Administrators group instead of a user).  hit Ok

After the above, you can modify permissions on the file/directory.  If you need help with this, please let me know.

Thanks,

brian pepperdine

Monday, November 26, 2012 5:42 PM
  • Hi Brian,

thanks for your replay.

I was going the steps you described and could add the ownership for wcp.dll to Administrators.

But when I try to change the name from wcp.dll to wcpold.dll I see the message: "Access on the target file is denied. You need rights  ...".

I see back, the ownership of wcp.dll stands at TrustedInstaller and Administrators.

What is my failure:

1. I´m not signed in as the built in admin, my account has only admin rights?

2. I must take away the ownership from TrustedInstaller and only let Administrators as owner, to change the name of wcp.dll?

Have you an idea?

Regards

Reinhard

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 3:14 PM
  • It may be inheriting permissions from an upper level folder.  Honestly what I normally do with both Vista and 7 is take full Ownership of the C: drive, Replace owner on all subcontainers and objects.  

After that's finished, I do the same for Permissions.  The only difference -I do not change the permissions.  I only force them down after the ownership has been changed.

brian pepperdine

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 8:48 PM
  • Hi Brian,

thanks for your reply.

I have seen, it gives a procedure for replacing a system file that cannot be repaired.

The first step is the takeown, but it is nessecary to grant administrators full access to the file.

For example type in a command prompt: icacls C:\windows\system32\jscript.dll /grant administrators:F

After this replace the file with a known good copy of the file, at me wcp.dll.

I will see, this helps.

czer27

• Edited by czer27 Thursday, December 06, 2012 11:05 AM
    Tuesday, December 04, 2012 5:59 PM