none
Windows 7 BSOD

Question

• I recently upgraded from XP to Windows 7, and started to get a 0x00000124 (0x00000000, ....) halt almost immediately. On occasion, the system would freeze during startup, or throw a blue screen just after the welcome screen or even blue screen after several hours of use. Slowly over time, BSOD’s increased in frequency, until finally the system would not pass the welcome screen at all. At the welcome screen, instead of swirling windows, the display freezes with a single red dot above the "Starting Windows" text. Also note that I can’t get into Safe Mode, which halts while loading disk.sys.

I have heard that this error can be anything from a PCI-E driver error to CPU failure, so I checked a wide variety of things before coming here for help, including improving air flow and cooling, removing legacy XP hardware and drivers, and replacing the motherboard battery. I am reluctant to believe that this is a CPU or MB issue since Windows XP worked fine not two days ago.

Additional system specs:

MSI K8N Neo4 Motherboard (nForce 4 chipset)
    AMD X2 4400
    Nvidia GeForce 7800 graphics card
    Soundblaster Live onboard audio
    Linksys Wireless N card

Anything you can suggest is greatly appreciated.

Sunday, November 15, 2009 8:19 AM

Answers

• Hello Fitzig,

First of all, remove all unnecessary hardware devices from the computer, try entering Windows safe mode to test whether it is a third-party software/hardware compatibility issue. If so, please download and run Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to check the reason for the issue. If the issue is caused by some incompatible driver, you might go to Device Manager, right click your hardware device in the list and select Update Driver Software; then click Search automatically for updated driver software.

If you still get the BSOD error after installing the latest driver, please understand that Windows system uses separated user mode and kernel mode memory space, stop errors are always caused by kernel portion components, such as a hardware device, third-party drivers, backup software or anti-virus services (buggy services).

The system goes to a blue screen because there is some exceptions happened in the kernel (either the device driver errors or the service errors), and Windows implements this mechanism: When it detects some errors occur in the kernel, it will kill the box in case some more severe damage happens. Then we get a blue screen or the system reboots (it depends on what the system settings are).

To troubleshoot this kind of kernel crash issue, we need to debug the crashed system dump. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. A suggestion would be to contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request. Please be advised that contacting phone support will be a charged call.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

I hope the problem will be resolved soon. Thanks!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Tuesday, November 24, 2009 4:48 AM
    Monday, November 16, 2009 8:08 AM

All replies

• It is not unusual that bad memory modules are revelaed when upgrading from Windows XP to a newer operating system due to changes in the memory management, so use the Windows Memory Diagnostic to scan the memory modules for errors. This can be done by pressing F8 and choosing the appropriate option before Windows is loading.

If no errors are found you could download Drive Fitness Test from http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm to scan your hard drive for errors.

You might also be required to upgrade your BIOS but as the problem has become worse over time I would start by performing the above tests.
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 9:20 AM
  • Well, I couldn't even get the startup repair tool to load without freezing, so I ran memtest instead. After 8+ hours, it hasn't found any errors. The hard drive tool obviously requires Windows access, which isn't happening. Sound like I'm looking at a fresh install....

Sunday, November 15, 2009 6:52 PM
  • The hard drive tools is an ISO which you burn to a CD or DVD. It does not require Windows at all.
    Did you try a BIOS upgrade and/or reset of the BIOS settings to the default settings?
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 7:40 PM
  • Yes, tried both of those.

Just made an important discovery however: Windows was able to boot when the BIOS skipped USB keyboard and mouse initialization. Following this line of thought, I unplugged both devices during boot, and have now booted successfully 3x without BSOD. Note that I have a Logitech G15 keyboard and G5 mouse, both with latest Logitech updates.
    • Edited by Fitzig Sunday, November 15, 2009 8:40 PM
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 8:03 PM
  • That's an interesting fact. Please keep on testing and post back a status update, good luck! :)
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 8:16 PM
  • Yes, tried both of those.

Just made an important discovery however: Windows was able to boot when the BIOS skipped USB keyboard and mouse initialization. Following this line of thought, I unplugged both devices during boot, and have now booted successfully 3x without BSOD. Note that I have a Logitech G15 keyboard and G5 mouse, both with latest Logitech updates.

Logitech is a sure road to trouble. I stopped using their hardware long time ago.
    AlexB
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 9:20 PM
  • Well, my success was short-lived. I was able to run error-free for a short while, but as before started to see the blue screen more and more until finally the system would not boot at all (again, /sigh). Interestingly, the worst of it seemed to directly follow an upgrade of Office 2007 to SP2. I doubt if the events are related, just more pieces to the puzzle.

It pains me to do it, but it seems like my next steps are CPU/mobo/RAM swap (read: purchase).
    Monday, November 16, 2009 12:59 AM
  • Hello Fitzig,

First of all, remove all unnecessary hardware devices from the computer, try entering Windows safe mode to test whether it is a third-party software/hardware compatibility issue. If so, please download and run Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to check the reason for the issue. If the issue is caused by some incompatible driver, you might go to Device Manager, right click your hardware device in the list and select Update Driver Software; then click Search automatically for updated driver software.

If you still get the BSOD error after installing the latest driver, please understand that Windows system uses separated user mode and kernel mode memory space, stop errors are always caused by kernel portion components, such as a hardware device, third-party drivers, backup software or anti-virus services (buggy services).

The system goes to a blue screen because there is some exceptions happened in the kernel (either the device driver errors or the service errors), and Windows implements this mechanism: When it detects some errors occur in the kernel, it will kill the box in case some more severe damage happens. Then we get a blue screen or the system reboots (it depends on what the system settings are).

To troubleshoot this kind of kernel crash issue, we need to debug the crashed system dump. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. A suggestion would be to contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request. Please be advised that contacting phone support will be a charged call.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

I hope the problem will be resolved soon. Thanks!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Tuesday, November 24, 2009 4:48 AM
    Monday, November 16, 2009 8:08 AM