none
Setting up a Local account on a Domain RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having issues making a local account on a domain. I'm in the process of resetting the pc to factory defaults atm. I will then install updates, upgrade to windows 8.1 and then upgrade to Pro.

This is an office pc. I don't want It logging on to a persons personal Microsoft account. I need it to be a local account.

The first install I had upgraded to windows 8.1, had the person using the pc make a Microsoft account with the idea that I would make a local one later and delete the Microsoft account. Then I upgraded to pro. Joined the domain.  (I was able to join the domain no problem, my issue is with joining it as a local user). Made a new local account and gave it admin priv. log off, can't see local account. Clicking on other user and trying the local username and pw did not work. Only the Microsoft account or the domain account would work. I tried disconnecting the Microsoft account and then creating a local account. Still could not log into the local account. I tried deleting the Microsoft account which still did not work. I then switched it back to a workgroup and this turned all the Yes boxes on my permissions windows to grey. At this point I couldn't do anything as it wouldn't allow me to click yes.

I know I can get this to work, I have it working on two other pc's here, I forget how I got it going. Any idea what I did wrong initially. Should I have made a local account after upgrading to 8.1 right off the start and then upgraded to pro? Was it the fact that I made a local account after I had joined the domain?

Any help would be appreciated.

MMurray

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 12:33 PM

Answers

• I was able to get things up and running by making a local account during start up, connecting to the domain, updating etc. Everything worked. I haven't attempted to make a separate windows account, no need to at the office for now and I'd rather not mess with things atm.

MMurray

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 1:51 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Sorry for my dilatory reply. How about your problem now?  After you  create a new local account, have you checked User Managment whether this account create successfully?

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 9:05 AM
  • I was able to get things up and running by making a local account during start up, connecting to the domain, updating etc. Everything worked. I haven't attempted to make a separate windows account, no need to at the office for now and I'd rather not mess with things atm.

MMurray

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 1:51 PM