none
How do you change a Windows 7 product key to a volume licence key

Question

• I have just imaged and rolled out 15 Windows 7 Starter Computers Acer Netbook computers.

How do I change the Product Licence Key to a volume licence key which I allready have.

The same applies to the other 15 HP Computers running Windows7 Pro

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 11:14 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Volume licensing existing for Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Enterprise editions only. 

Volume License keys do not exist for other editions.

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en
    Wednesday, July 06, 2011 7:49 PM

All replies

• What edition of Windows 7 is the volume license for?
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, July 06, 2011 11:53 AM
  • Not sure if you get a volume license key for Windows 7 Starter, but for Windows 7 Pro you can use VAMT 2.0, which will give you the option to do all 15 machines, grahically in one go remotely, provided that you can access WMI on the machines remotely. If on a domain you can script the activation process by putting the commands below in a batch file. You can also do it if your're not part of a domain, but you will probably have to visit each machine inidividually then, instead of doing it via a GPO.

The most basic way would be to type the following from the command prompt as the administrator:

(1) slmgr.exe /ipk [type your key here]

and then

(2) slmgr.exe /ato

to activate the key you have just installed. The previous two command sequences is for MAK keys. If you have a KMS server on your network you can just use slmgr.exe /ato provided that your KMS server can be autodiscovered via DNS. If your KMS server can't be autodiscovered just run the following:

(1) slmgr.exe /skms [FQDN of your KMS server]

(2) slmgr.exe /ato

Hope it helps

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 11:58 AM
  • Hello,

Volume licensing existing for Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Enterprise editions only. 

Volume License keys do not exist for other editions.

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en
    Wednesday, July 06, 2011 7:49 PM
  • I have Windows 7 Professional and even though we purchased our machines OEM, we have VL available. How can I change the OS from Product Key to VLK?
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 4:50 PM