none
Nested Windows server 2016 on windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• it is possible run nested Server 2016 on Windows 10.I would like to test the operation of VM on virtual windows 2016 running on windows 10. Unfortunately, I can not run the nested machine.
    The goal is to test replication between VMs placed on virtual hosts with virtual machines.

I even read that when I start a nested VM, replication does not work

Friday, March 9, 2018 3:21 PM

All replies

• Hi Glopsy.

In order for you to use nested virtualization, the he Hyper-V host and guest must both be Windows Server 2016/Windows 10 Anniversary Update or later.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MCTS, MOS, MTA

Friday, March 9, 2018 11:49 PM
  • Not sure and confused by you mentioned nested. Just run the Server 2016 on Hyper-V, not nested?
    Saturday, March 10, 2018 12:34 AM
  •  He obviously wants to test Hyper-V in Server 2016 without actually installing it on physical hardware.  I would bite the bullet and install it on the hardware, even if he has to multiboot his Windows 10 machine. Nested virtualization is tedious, to say the least.

Bill

Saturday, March 10, 2018 2:06 AM
  • Hi,

Is that you want to Install Hyper-V on a Virtual Machine in Hyper-V?

If yes, nested virtualization lets us create Hyper-V virtual machines inside a Hyper-V virtual machine or Hyper-V host. From following link, it mentioned “While the virtual machine is in the OFF state, run the following command on the physical Hyper-V host. This enables nested virtualization for the virtual machine.”

Please also check if the nested requirements are met.  Here is link.

Run Hyper-V in a Virtual Machine with Nested Virtualization

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualization/hyper-v-on-windows/user-guide/nested-virtualization

Besides it, here is a good blog introducing for your reference.

How to Install Hyper-V on a Virtual Machine in Hyper-V, you might be interested in:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/gbanin/2013/06/25/how-to-install-hyper-v-on-a-virtual-machine-in-hyper-v/

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Vera Hu Tuesday, March 13, 2018 8:00 AM
    Monday, March 12, 2018 6:46 AM
  • Hi, 

How’s everything going? Please feel free to give me any update.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 9:51 AM