none
Link Windows Fax and Scan with Outlook 2007 Contacts

Question

• I have a customer where I just set up Fax Services on his Windows 2008 SBS server.  I set up on his local account by going into Windows Fax and Scan on his Windows 7 Business machine.  Tools>Fax Accounts clicked Add...>'Connect to a fax server on my network' then typed in the SBS server name and so on.  The Windows Fax and Scan works, however when selecting New Fax and then clicking on the 'To:' I expected to get the address book from Outlook and did not.  When I set this up, the same way, on the Windows Vista machines it worked correctly. 
    Contacts are working correctly from Outlook
    I set up 4 other machines [Windows 7 Business] and all others are the same - No Outlook Contacts
    Verified that Default Programs>Set your default programs>Outlook had all checked (per Internet threads)
    User is administration of the local machine as well as the domain

How can I link the Windows Fax and Scan contacts to Outlook 2007 Contacts & AD like it is on the Vista machine?

Thank you,

Jack Sneade
    Friday, January 08, 2010 12:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Is the computer joined to the domain? Have you configured the account in Outlook 2007? After joining the domain and configured the account in Outlook 2007, you should see the Outlook Contacts if you click Tools==>Contacts in Windows Fax and Scan. Please have a check. You can click New Fax==>Cancle==>Ok==>Contacts..

Best Regards
    Dale
    • Marked as answer by Dale QiaoModerator Wednesday, January 13, 2010 7:29 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by JSneade Wednesday, January 13, 2010 11:43 PM
    Friday, January 08, 2010 7:09 AM
  • The computer is joined to the domain.  The Outlook 2007 account is configured and contacts are displayed in Outlook, however they are not displayed in Windows Fax and Scan as you indicate above.
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 11:47 PM
  • I saw a similar issue which is solved by setting the default e-mail set via "set program access and computer defaults" instead of via "set your default programs." To do this,  open "Default Programs"/"Set Program Access andComputer Defaults", go to the "Custom" section and select "Microsoft Office Outlook" as the default e-mail program.

Best Regards
    Dale

Thursday, January 14, 2010 5:43 AM
  • I set the defaults to outlook but each time i open windows Fax and scan it resets them to default. I'm logged in as admin, but can't get widows fax scan to link to outlook 2007.
    using Widows 7 Pro
    Monday, January 25, 2010 4:26 PM
  • We were having the same issue (Windows 7 pro 64 bit)  and found a workaround.

The workaround is to use the Fax Mail Transport account in outlook to send faxes instead.
    To do this:
    Open Outlook 2007 as administrator
    Tools, Account Settings
    Check to see if you already have the Fax Mail Transport ( i have found that often SBS will add this account)
    If not, add it. If it is there you may still need to configure by highlighting and clicking change.
    To add, click add, choose other for type, and choose Fax mail transport. (if it won't add you are probably not in asOutlook as administrator)
    You will need to choose your fax modem and other optional items such as cover sheets.
    Click ok and finish.
    Now you user can email to fax recipients from within outlook. Attachments are printed as part of fax. You can treat the actual email as cover sheet, or add one.

Though this is not the way my users are used to faxing through their computers, it actually works out better than the print to fax i have always done in xp because you can have multiple attachments and not have to go through separate wizards each time.
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 12:54 AM
  • I can confirm that the problem is with the x64 flavors of Windows Vista and 7.

In 32-bit Vista/7, it's a matter of install Outlook, set up account, click the "Outlook Address Book" check boxes in your Contacts' properties, fire up WF&S, and it works!

In 64-bit Vista/7, not so easy.

I compared the "Default Programs" settings on two VMs: one W7x86 and the other W7x64.  Both UAC and Windows Firewall were turned completely off during these tests. The Control Panel -> Default Programs settings for Microsoft Outlook and Windows Contacts were identical (the defaults)!

However, only x86 WF&S will pull up OAB contacts.  No so much with x64...

I think the real reason has something to do with WF&S being native x64 and Outlook 2007 running in WOW64 mode. 

...so I put that to the test by setting up a third VM with Windows 7 x64 and the Office 2010 x64 Beta.  It didn't work.  So either the beta still has problems with this or WF&S x64 just has problems with Outlook altogether...
    Thursday, March 04, 2010 5:08 PM
  • Same issue, same symptoms here.  We need this functionality as we used to be able to fax from any program we could print from and use the Outlook 2007 contacts as the contact list source.

Windows 7 64bit
    Thursday, March 04, 2010 9:26 PM
  • May I add my name to the list of people with this issue of Fax and Scan on 64 bit W7 and Outlook 2007?

This is making my life very difficult.

Whilst I looked for a solution to this issue I thought I'd export my Outlook contacts to VCF files and try to use those in Fax and Scan recipients.   However, I've reported here   that I cannot get Fax and Scan to even read the exported VCF files from Outlook either.  Currently I am faced with manually entering all fax and contact details.

I run a Fax and Scan server on my WHS machine, and I am able to send a fax using my 64 bit client Fax and Scan.  I added the (shared) Fax Transport (MAPI)  to Outlook's 2007 account settings and when I try to send a fax out of Outlook I get this error:

<!-- The Microsoft  Fax transport failed to deliver the message to the recipient.
    Not all attachments can be rendered

I even resorted to installing WinFax Pro on the WHS, but Kernel mode drivers have been completely removed and the print driver won't install.

At this moment I am utterly bewildered with my inability to fax numerous faxes at the same time using my Outlook 2007 and BCM contacts.

Help!
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 3:57 PM
  • Unfortunately, the problem predates both Vista and Windows 7.

I just tried it on Windows XP x64 and Outlook 2003.  Even the old-school version of the x64 fax client can't read Outlook Address Book contacts.

Since XP x64 was pretty much an afterthought (as is faxing from Windows, apparently), I'm not surprised that this problem seeped its way into Vista.  However, I am a bit disappointed that Microsoft has done nothing to address it for...five years now? (XP x64 came out in 2005).
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 8:24 PM
  • I tried to do as suggested and add Fax mail transport.  I went to Tools, account Settings and see no place to add.

Please give more information,

Tried working with Microsoft and nothing.

Sunday, April 25, 2010 6:29 PM
  • It's pretty sad that in 2010 this is still an issue.

Fax machines have existed, in various forms, since the 19th century (source: wikipedia.org)

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 9:54 AM
  • Update:

The bad news is that Outlook 2010 does not resolve the problem (doesn't matter if you're using the 32-bit version via WOW or the native 64-bit version).

However, digging around, the solution to this problem can go in two different directions: one pointing to WFS and XP/2003's fax program as problems and one pointing to Outlook's Fax Mail Transport not being 64-bit.

1) Both the XP/2003 x64 fax program and WFS don't even bother calling on Outlook (at least it seems that way when I did a comparison using Process Explorer).  So it may be a problem with the 64-bit compiles of those particular programs moreso than Outlook itself.

2) Noticeably missing from Outlook 2010 x64 is an option to set up Fax Mail Transport.  Maybe that could be related to WFS somewhat?

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 4:00 PM
  • Update again:

The above solution works fine with Windows 7 x64, but not Vista x64. 

In Vista x64, any attempt to configure the "Fax Mail Transport" account with the "Change" button in Outlook (any version from 2003-2010) results in "The requested operation failed."

Friday, June 18, 2010 2:55 PM
  • Well, I see I am not alone.  Just set up Windows 7, Outlook 2007 and cannot link Windows Fax to my Outlook contacts.  BIG pain in the butt!  As usual Microsoft takes one step forward and 10 steps backwards!  Any new updates on workarounds on this problem would be appreciated.
    Friday, October 22, 2010 2:38 PM
  • Just joined this group of dissapointed users.

There has been updates on this so I figrued I would keep this issue alive.

If anyone has actually figured this out, would love to hear about it.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 4:16 PM
  • Here it is

http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2010/03/18/64bit-client-quot-fax-and-scan-quot-with-outlook-2007-contacts.aspx

It's a workaround, and really the only option for those that want to use Contacts from Outlook with Windows Fax and Scan on a 64-bit version of Windows. 

I'll see if our in-house programmer can write up a method for programmatically making this work (export Contacts to CSV file, import to WAB every time a Contact in the Address Book changes).

Alternatively, I'm wondering if there is a way to launch the 32-bit WFS.exe in 64-bit Windows, and if so, see if IT can call up the Outlook MAPI...

Thursday, December 22, 2011 6:40 PM
  • If anybody's still following this thread (or one of many others), I've got good news and (maybe) bad news:

Good news: The problem is finally fixed!!!

"Bad" news: You have to use Windows 8 x64 and a 64-bit version of Outlook (2010 or 2013).

I just tested Windows 8 x64/Outlook 2010 x64 and Windows 8 x64/Outlook 2013 x64 along with Windows Fax & Scan.  I composed a new fax, click the Contacts button, and voila!  Outlook Contacts!

Trying to determine whether this is an Outlook issue, Windows x64 issue, or WFS application issue, I tried Windows 7 x64/Outlook 2013 x64, composed fax, clicked Contacts button, and guess what?  No Outlook Contacts!  Just Windows Contacts again!

So it's either something that was wrong with every 64-bit version of Windows since XP that was FINALLY fixed in Windows 8 or it's a problem with the wfs.exe application in Vista and 7 that was fixed in Windows 8...

• Edited by Brandon Chapman Tuesday, March 05, 2013 11:24 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Prz42 Monday, July 29, 2013 11:38 PM
    Tuesday, March 05, 2013 11:24 PM
  • I have a virgin copy of Windows 8 sixty four bit operating system and installed 2007 Office and it didn't have fax mail transport in the Account setup under e-mail accounts.  I have installed it on Windows 7 sixty four bit operating system and it has it and works.  I then did an upgrade to windows 8 sixty four bit operating system and it did stay there also.  It seems as if Microsoft is trying to have 64 bit Office work with the new operating system.  Only Office 2010 and newer has true sixty four bit.
    Monday, July 29, 2013 11:45 PM