none
Installing Windows 7 64bit stuck on "Finalising your settings"

Question

• Hi,

I am installing windows 7 professional 64bit on this hardware..

Hardware <dual poc xeon>
    ======

Intel® Workstation Board S5520SC
    SC5600Base Intel Server Chassis
    2 x Intel Xeon Processor E5520 (2.26 GHz)
    1 x MSI ATI Radeon Graphics Card
    12 x 2GB Kingston ECC DDR3 ( 24GB)
    2 X 2TB Western Digital HDD

Windows 7 installation goes thourgh all the stages but when it gets to "Finalizing your settings" the monitor goes dimm and it get stuck on this screen. I know the system is not hung as I can see the progress bar active move across and also the nums lock and caps lock keys are still ok.

I have left it running on this screen for 3 hours and it does no do proceed to the next stage

Any one has had issues running Windows 7 Porfessional 64 bit on Intel S5520SC Motherboard, and Intel Xeon E5520 procs?
    Monday, March 01, 2010 8:12 PM

All replies

• How do you install the Win7? Clean installation or Upgrade?
    How do you install your HDDs using Raid?

Please removed the uncessary devices connected to your machine, such as the USB devices, network cable, and so on. Then restart your machine to test again.

Good luck!

John
    Tuesday, March 02, 2010 6:15 AM
  • Win7 Pro clean install these are brand new disks

No Hardware RAID on HDD

The only device I have connected to the machine is  a USB kbd, i dnt have any other device not even a mouse plugged in  besided a kbd and monitor
    Wednesday, March 03, 2010 12:45 AM
  • What happened after restarting it?

In my opinion, it's better to disconnect the second HDD from your machine, and leave 4G RAMs only. Then, please test again. If the installation be finished, you can replug them again, then it's better to update the latest drivers for your motherboard.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Server+Products&ProductLine=Intel%c2%ae+Workstation+Boards&ProductProduct=Intel%c2%ae+Workstation+Board+S5520SC 

Good luck!
    John
    Wednesday, March 03, 2010 2:26 AM
  • I had to hit the reset button on the system as it was stuck on finalixing your settings with a dimmed screen..

After the system booted it gave me the login prompt, I logged in it seemed to work quite quick for a minute as I hit the start menu and then it started slowing down. When I hit a key say for instance the tab key it takes 20 - 30 sec to go to to the next say field

Thursday, March 04, 2010 2:25 AM
  • I am glad to hear you can log on Win7 now. As your machine's performance is abnormal. I suggest you to submit a new thread to troubleshoot the new trouble, or reinstall Win7. 

If you still have the trouble after reinstalling Win7, I have some suggestions for your:

1. Update the drivers for your motherboard.
    2. Create a new account to test.
    3. Test in Safe mode. If it works fine in safe mode, you can test in clean boot mode.

If the performance is still poor after tring my suggestions, it's better to open a new thread to discuss the new trouble.
    John
    Thursday, March 04, 2010 4:06 AM
  • Wow..

I have almost the same hardware config and the exact same problem.

Have you found a resolution yet?

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 6:46 PM
  • I have the same board and 32GB RAM and it gets to 'completing installation...' and sits there, I've tried it from the W764 Install DVD and from the Intel Server Deployment Toolkit and it does the same thing.

Anyone found a solution yet?

• Proposed as answer by MonsterBash Tuesday, June 22, 2010 3:02 PM
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 8:05 AM
  • Got the Fix...

Seems the Intel board has an issue with the cd-rom drive we are using (lite-on).  Installing the machine from a pre-configured image (server based) worked.  Also installing the original software from a USB CD-ROM drive worked fine.  We also had this problem with SBS 2k8 SP2 but NOT with any R2 products. 

• Proposed as answer by MonsterBash Tuesday, June 22, 2010 3:02 PM
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 3:00 PM
  • Hate to necro an old thread but I have an extremely similar configuration with exactly the same problem and after BIOS flashes, BIOS option monkeying and many hours of wasted time I discovered that Windows will complete its installation if NIC1 is plugged in while Windows is installed.

Frustrating, not sure if this is Microsoft's or Intel's part; but it works. 

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 9:08 PM
  • I just installed Win7 x64 on my XPS M1730, which is by DELL's website not supported, and it hung at the "Windows is finalizing..." screen.

I did install as a trial from a DVD that I burned form an ISO.

It is on a RAID-1

The computer hung for about 1.5 hours before I started looking to see if I was the only one.

I then rebooted once I saw it was a potential fix; still hung.

I rebooted again after 20 minutes; still hung; meanwhile the DVD-ROM is still spinning and has been each restart.

I rebooted again without the DVD-ROM closed, went right into Windows 7.

So, I'd suggest leaving the media used to install, "Out" of the computer and if there is a drive, leave it open.

Peaches.

Friday, February 18, 2011 10:55 PM
  • hi...i have same problem as you mentioned above...Please help me how to overcome to this problem ..........please must reply me here or mail me:sahajpk@gmail.com  or        sahajpk@hotmail.com.   

thankyou.

Saturday, November 05, 2011 9:01 AM
  • i don't understand how you are able to login in windows 7 ......please clear me.
    • Proposed as answer by AALI_98 Tuesday, January 08, 2013 4:39 PM
    Saturday, November 05, 2011 9:14 AM
  • To install windows 7 on an Intel S5520SC, you need to go to into BIOS and -   IN PCI configuration, Disable the followings 

1. Onboard NIC1 ROM
    2. Onboard NIC2 ROM
    3. PCIe AER Support
    4. Save the setting and install Windows 7.  Once Windows 7 is installed then go back into BIOS, enable them all.  You are done!
    Tuesday, January 08, 2013 4:50 PM
  • I am in that situation exactly now. I did a keep everything upgrade. I know it is working because I can access my network shared folders from another PC. Last year I tested W8 pre-release on all 3 of my Platforms and I seem to remember this happening on one of them. I think I just reset and it finished. I am about to give that a try. I really did not want to go to W8 but I am having a weird control problem on my new HP DV7 laptop with Steam Source games. I thought I had better try W8 before the price goes up.

I just did a power reset. It came up with the W7 startup screen and then crashed into the HP recovery manager. I did a soft reboot and W8 repair screen came up and it is now checking the disk. If this fails I will have to recover my W7 installation I have backed up and then try a W8 clean install to a different partition and run W7-W8 dual boot. I live for this stuff!

• Edited by JoeBlou Wednesday, January 23, 2013 11:47 PM
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 11:29 PM