none
Win 10 Pro going to sleep in spite of settings RRS feed

• Question

• Just purchased a new Dell Inspiron with Win 10 Home, upgraded to Pro.  I have modified one power setting - 'put computer to sleep - when plugged in - never'.  And yet after some time we find it has gone to sleep.  Actually, looks like it completely shut down, as hitting the power button it starts with the dell logo from the bios.

I have not yet determined at what point it sleeps/shuts down, but I know it is less than three hours.

Ideas?

Thursday, November 14, 2019 3:02 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It may cause from "System unattended sleep timeout".
    If so, please try this (use PowerConfig):

1) open command prompt: [windows]+[R] > type cmd and [Enter]
    2) type (copy this and paste in command prompt)
       powercfg -attributes SUB_SLEEP 7bc4a2f9-d8fc-4469-b07b-33eb785aaca0 -ATTRIB_HIDE
       and [Enter]

3) (you will be able to see [Sleep] in Power Options)

Please change them as you like.

Regards,

Ashidacchi -- http://hokusosha.com

• Edited by Ashidacchi Thursday, November 14, 2019 3:55 AM
    Thursday, November 14, 2019 3:46 AM
  • Just purchased a new Dell Inspiron with Win 10 Home, upgraded to Pro.  I have modified one power setting - 'put computer to sleep - when plugged in - never'.  And yet after some time we find it has gone to sleep.  Actually, looks like it completely shut down, as hitting the power button it starts with the dell logo from the bios.

I have not yet determined at what point it sleeps/shuts down, but I know it is less than three hours.

Ideas?

Hello,

Please run Power troubleshooter from Settings app > Update & Security > Troubleshoot. 

Also, see if suggestions provided here helps you:

https://www.kapilarya.com/fix-windows-10-shuts-down-instead-of-sleep-hibernate

Let us know if this helps!

Note: Included link in this reply refers to blog post by a trusted Microsoft MVP.

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Thursday, November 14, 2019 9:23 AM
  • Lest anyone think I'm a WORN participant (WORN = Write Once Read Never), I'm still here - just juggling several chainsaws at once.  I'll go through all of the suggestions, but actual testing can take quite some time, waiting for the 'timeout' to occur.  And it appears it may still be user error/misunderstanding on exactly how this particular hardware/OS combination responds.  It doesn't help that this particular computer has no LEDs indicating its current power status - on, hibernate, sleep, etc.  So one can only guess based on behavior of touching the power button vs. touching the mouse, etc.
    Friday, November 15, 2019 3:47 PM
  • @Ashidacchi - I'm sure you can understand a bit of reluctance on executing an arcane, invasive command just on the recommendation of a stranger on the internet.  :-)   So I reserched 'powercfg' first, and find no reference to a '-attributes' option. 
    Friday, November 15, 2019 4:29 PM
  • Would you mind letting me know the update of the problem? If you need further assistance, feel free to let me know. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

15 hours 57 minutes ago
  • The only update I have on this is that I've at least found a pattern to getting it restarted.  As said earlier, the machine appears to go to sleep at random intervals. When in this state it doesn't respond to any keyboard, mouse, or touchpad activity.  It also doesn't respond to a simple press of the power button.  But if I hold the power button for a few seconds, then release and wait a few seconds, then press again, the machine appears to go through a complete power up sequence. I know that holding the power button several seconds initiates a forced power-off.  But still no clues as to why it is getting itself into this state in the first place.
    9 hours 34 minutes ago