none
Youtube videos -- getting blank screen, hearing audio

Question

• Please help, I cannot play any video files.   System says display driver is "up to date".   Cannot play video with Windows Media, IE, or Zune.
    Monday, February 02, 2009 12:28 AM

Answers

• OK, I think I found a solution!!!  In the hardware thread, somebody suggested turning off the acceleration.   I did and it worked.   (I have an Intel graphics card)

right click your desktop

select "SCREEN RESOLUTION"

click "ADVANCED SETTINGS"

click the TROUBLESHOOT" tab

Click "CHANGE SETTINGS"

I reduced the hardware acceleration to zero, and was able to play videos.   Gonna fool around with it some more.

• Marked as answer by Ingbermr Wednesday, February 04, 2009 12:51 AM
    Wednesday, February 04, 2009 12:50 AM

All replies

• Hi,

What type of video card is in your pc? (How memory is assigned to the card as well. ) Also, is there a specific error message which comes up when you attempt to play video?

-jay
    Monday, February 02, 2009 4:06 PM
  •  Intel GMA 900 graphics card

That is what the specs say is the graphics card and I have not changed it.   Don't know how much memory is assigned but I have 1GB RAM total.   No error messages, system freezes.   Other people having this problem.

Monday, February 02, 2009 5:01 PM
  • It could be one of those famous 'minimum requirements not met'  issues or a simple bug. It probably, in the grand scheme of things,  wouldn't matter whether it worked in XP or Vista before you tried the Win7 beta - because requierment specs change from O/S to O/S. The first thing to do (And ignore me if you have already done this.) is to go here
    http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/gma900/index.htm  and verify through Intel's driver matrix that you are, indeed, up to date and act accordingly based on whatever info you discover there. It is also prudent to note that Intel is dropping support for a number of items (which appears to include your gma 900.) in March of this year.

Naturally, that may very well mean no official driver support for Win7. Certainly, there may be hacked versions out there eventually but in the immediacy, it does not do much to resolve the problem if a current driver is not helping.

If it does come down to the hardware specs not living up to Msoft's requirements for Win7, you may need to revert to the previous O/S or purchase a new slot based video card.

-jay
    • Proposed as answer by jdj522 Monday, February 02, 2009 5:25 PM
    Monday, February 02, 2009 5:14 PM
  • Thanks much.   I went on that website and lo, there is no VISTA support for that card, in fact support is "discontinued".   They only have drivers for XP and XP-64 (and LINUS).   I am not investing in a new video card for this machine, so I guess I will play with the Beta for a while and reinstall XP.   BTW, this computer (a Toshiba laptop) is only 3 years old, so Windows 7 will have a problem if manufacturers are not going to keep up.  
    Monday, February 02, 2009 5:22 PM
  • Ingbermr said:

Please help, I cannot play any video files.   System says display driver is "up to date".   Cannot play video with Windows Media, IE, or Zune.

Hi,
    I am not inclined to think that it is a video driver issue because, most likely, you are missing the proper decoders for those video files.
    I would start installing ffdhshow (http://www.free-codecs.com/download/FFDShow.htm). That would allow decoding most of the compression formats.
    Also flash player is needed for playing VideoTube videos.
    Go to Adobe (www.adobe.com) and download the freeware Flash Player.
    Carlos
    Monday, February 02, 2009 5:31 PM
  • Except for the fact that youtube and other video files play 'right out of the box' on other Win7 systems, I might agree. Still, it might not hurt to give this idea a shot. In the world of beta testing, my personal theory is to try everything no matter how obscure an idea it may seem.  I don't, however, push that on others - I don't know many people whose level of patience with trial and error on betas is akin to mine.

-jay
    Monday, February 02, 2009 5:49 PM
  • OK, moving right along.   Yes, I already found that youtube works OK once you install Flashplayer.   HOWEVER, I hit the "view in high def" button on a youtube video--froze the computer.   Was able to download the low-def video and watch it in Realplayer.   

Could not watch any high-quality videos on hulu.com or realplayer.com--froze the computer.

Also, WMP freezes when you load a video, even before you press the play button.

Tried the suggestion of downloading/installing the free codecs, no happiness.  

My patience level is quite high right now as I am at home recovering from knee surgery and don't have much else to do....
    Monday, February 02, 2009 7:09 PM
  • Further info:

1) Able to get live streaming video from the Washington Post

2) Able to see video on hulu.com but computer freezes when I hit the full-screen button or the high-def button.

Monday, February 02, 2009 7:29 PM
  • Ingbermr said:

Further info:

2) Able to see video on hulu.com but computer freezes when I hit the full-screen button or the high-def button.

Hi,
    It might be worth giving a look at event viewer (Start, Run, eventvwr.msc <ENTER>) in Windows logs (both application and system).
    You might get a lead there.
    Freezing might indeed be proof of a bad video driver.
    I hardly use Windows Media Player for viewing videos.
    My favorite one is Media Player Classic Home Cinema (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=170561), lightweight and freeware, handles most of the video types w/o the need of external decoders.
    Carlos
    Monday, February 02, 2009 7:45 PM
  • Ingbermr said:

Further info:

I think we're right back @ square one. As you've already verified you've got the most recent video driver and that no further drivers are being created, we have to put that in the basket as a possible culprit and keep a lookout for hacked versions which will work with Win7. Next is to check the system resources free/cached/in use levels before and then while attempting to view videos that fail to display.

You also may want to check what your current settings are for virtual memory, as that can have a negative effect on system performance if not optimized on low memory systems. General rule of thumb is set virtual memory to 1.5 times the amount of actual ram.

Other things to look for are free drive space, a seriously fragmented drive, (I use Defraggler to defragment my drives and it does work under Win7) clean out your temp/cached files (CCleaner is great for that.) and the drastic, but still sometimes helpful, deletion of the Windows Swap File. Check also how much you've got loading @ startup and take out whatever you feel is not absolutely needed when the box boots.

Any of the above either singularly or in combination may help out where performance of video is an issue.

-jay
    Monday, February 02, 2009 7:57 PM
  • I cleaned up disk files and defragged, didn't change anything.   I have over 96 GB free on the harddrive, as I'm not doing anthing else with this machine except the Beta.  (Also, I cannot move large files over the network to the Windows 7 machine, that is probably (?) a different issue, but there is a thread on it, other people are having that problem too).

Looked at the various logs, but I'm not sure what I should be looking for.  Also disabled the sound enhancements, as suggested, but that didn't help either.

Tuesday, February 03, 2009 1:35 AM
  • Imported some pictures from my digital camera.  Was able to view them with Paint, Media Center and Windows Photo Viewer.   Was NOT able to view picture with Microsoft Digital Image Standard 2006 Editor.   This froze the computer.   This makes me think that all the freezing is not a problem with codecs or graphics drivers but with some flaky component of Windows 7.    So far, my computer CONSISTENTLY  freezes under the following circumstances:

1)  Trying to view ANY video file that is located on my computer with any software
    2)  Trying to view Youtube or Hulu videos in high-def or full-screen mode
    3) Transferring large files via the network (my own ethernet network)
    4) Trying to open pictures with Microsoft Digital Image software.

Also, I was able to install and use Logmein software, which had no problem with any full screen operation.   Again, this suggests to me it is not a codec or graphic card problem.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Tuesday, February 03, 2009 3:55 PM
  • OK, I think I found a solution!!!  In the hardware thread, somebody suggested turning off the acceleration.   I did and it worked.   (I have an Intel graphics card)

right click your desktop

select "SCREEN RESOLUTION"

click "ADVANCED SETTINGS"

click the TROUBLESHOOT" tab

Click "CHANGE SETTINGS"

I reduced the hardware acceleration to zero, and was able to play videos.   Gonna fool around with it some more.

• Marked as answer by Ingbermr Wednesday, February 04, 2009 12:51 AM
    Wednesday, February 04, 2009 12:50 AM
  • When I see video on YouTube in full screen or HD quality, my laptop totaly freezes.
    I have the last driver for my NVIDIA 8200M G video card. I got it from Windows Update.
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 10:30 PM
  • hiii im a skl
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 10:56 AM
  • ohooooooooooooo
    Monday, November 22, 2010 12:16 PM
  • thanks u are great

Monday, November 22, 2010 12:17 PM
  • Hi,

What type of video card is in your pc? (How memory is assigned to the card as well. ) Also, is there a specific error message which comes up when you attempt to play video?

-jay

Monday, November 22, 2010 12:18 PM