none
Opening old .hlp help files under Windows 7?

Question

• Hi,

I'm running an application that uses an old .hlp file, and although winhlp32.exe is available for download through kb917607 for Vista and Server 2008, there doesn't seem to be a version available for Windows 7.

I tried the Vista version but, not surprisingly it didn't install.

Is there a version of winhlp32.exe available for Win 7 RC1?

Thanks

Paul
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 2:53 PM

Answers

• Hi Paul

The winhlp32.exe for Windows 7 will be available later, probably not until we are near RTM. I haven't seen any information on an exact date.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Thursday, May 21, 2009 3:24 PM

All replies

• Hi Paul

The winhlp32.exe for Windows 7 will be available later, probably not until we are near RTM. I haven't seen any information on an exact date.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Thursday, May 21, 2009 3:24 PM
  • Hi,

I'm running an application that uses an old .hlp file, and although winhlp32.exe is available for download through kb917607 for Vista and Server 2008, there doesn't seem to be a version available for Windows 7.

I tried the Vista version but, not surprisingly it didn't install.

Is there a version of winhlp32.exe available for Win 7 RC1?

Thanks

Paul

Paul -

In the mean time, you can download a free tool called Help Explorer 3.0. This is a 3rd party program that allows you to open all of those old HLP files. It works with Windows 7...
    Friday, May 22, 2009 9:04 AM
  • Don't wait for Microsoft, they've stated it'll be available with the Windows 7 RTM / Windows Server 2008 R2. How can I evaluate Windows 7 RC without being able to view HLP files?! So I made my own compilation for both Windows 7 x64 and Windows 7 x86. The installer is a batch (CMD) file, which does the job of winhlp32.exe/winhlp32.exe.mui replacement and fixing Registry entries.

Windows Help Program (WinHlp32) installer for Windows 7 x64 and Windows 7 x86 by Komeil Bahmanpour:

Blog entry

Direct download link

WinHlp32 installer for Vista/2008/7

Sunday, June 14, 2009 7:17 PM
  • Komeil -

For what it's worth, you don't need winhlp32.exe to evaluate Windows 7's help files. They're in a different format. The only reason why  you'd need that app would be for LEGACY help files.
    Sunday, June 14, 2009 7:56 PM
  • Wolfie2k6,

After spending 17 years in this industry, I think last thing I'm needed to be taught, is about WinHlp32.exe being required for LEGACY HLPs! I'm not evaluating Win7's help files. By evaluation I meant Win7's evaluation is not possible if I'm not using it everyday, and LAGACY HLPs are a part of my everyday job.

To ppl who are still supporting old nasty apps, WinHlp32.exe is worth very much. LEGACY I know, Borland C++Builder's help files are LEGACY HLPs. And don't say why don't they migrate to VC++... Give them an automated BCPP to VCPP converter and they'd do that in a blink of an eye...

If one's not able to use Borland C++Builder on their Win 7, how could they use it everyday? Then, if it's not that important, why people are seeking for WinHlp32.exe for Win 7 so desperately? So don't be devoted to Microsoft's idea of Win 7 RC1 minus WinHlp32.exe.

Sunday, June 14, 2009 8:52 PM
  • Wolfie2k6,

After spending 17 years in this industry, I think last thing I'm needed to be taught, is about WinHlp32.exe being required for LEGACY HLPs! I'm not evaluating Win7's help files. By evaluation I meant Win7's evaluation is not possible if I'm not using it everyday, and LAGACY HLPs are a part of my everyday job.

To ppl who are still supporting old nasty apps, WinHlp32.exe is worth very much. LEGACY I know, Borland C++Builder's help files are LEGACY HLPs. And don't say why don't they migrate to VC++... Give them an automated BCPP to VCPP converter and they'd do that in a blink of an eye...

If one's not able to use Borland C++Builder on their Win 7, how could they use it everyday? Then, if it's not that important, why people are seeking for WinHlp32.exe for Win 7 so desperately? So don't be devoted to Microsoft's idea of Win 7 RC1 minus WinHlp32.exe.

Only 17 years? Newbie...
    Monday, June 15, 2009 3:27 PM
  • I agree with Komeil...
    I am in this industry only for the last 30 years
    I dont know at what point in Seltsameliebe's sliding rule i am... neither where is he/she
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 7:34 PM
  • Don't wait for Microsoft, they've stated it'll be available with the Windows 7 RTM / Windows Server 2008 R2. How can I evaluate Windows 7 RC without being able to view HLP files?! So I made my own compilation for both Windows 7 x64 and Windows 7 x86. The installer is a batch (CMD) file, which does the job of winhlp32.exe/winhlp32.exe.mui replacement and fixing Registry entries.

Windows Help Program (WinHlp32) installer for Windows 7 x64 and Windows 7 x86 by Komeil Bahmanpour:

Blog entry

Direct download link

Thanks - works like a charm!
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 8:52 PM
  • At first, I was running Windows 7 RC x86.  After looking at my BIOS, I noticed that my computer is x64 compliant.  I downloaded RC x64 and installed it.  I had first had problems with printer and hardware compatibility.  Now I have to deal with help files as well?!?  I have gone back to x86 and can't wait for the RTM.
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 7:00 PM
  • Komeil:

THANK YOU!  You are a lifesaver with an old satellite tracking program I am still using.  The winHlp32 istaller works great so long as you remember to run the cmd program in administrator mode.  Thanks again!
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 3:30 AM
  • Thanks, this rocks.

Don't wait for Microsoft, they've stated it'll be available with the Windows 7 RTM / Windows Server 2008 R2. How can I evaluate Windows 7 RC without being able to view HLP files?! So I made my own compilation for both Windows 7 x64 and Windows 7 x86. The installer is a batch (CMD) file, which does the job of winhlp32.exe/winhlp32.exe.mui replacement and fixing Registry entries.

Blog entry

Direct download link

Sunday, October 24, 2010 10:52 AM
  • Hi all, I have Win7 x64, I used Komeil installer but I still cannot open hlp files from Intranet source. Could anyone help me please?. The script worked well and did exactly what I did earlier manually (also with no result) but the problem still exists. I also change the Internet settings - security - sites - manually checked all 3 options (suggested on other forum). I'm in domain - might be important.

PLEASE HELP!!

Best regards

greso

• Edited by greso Friday, December 9, 2011 12:46 PM
    Friday, December 9, 2011 12:45 PM
  • Greso,

I had the exact same problem and after much frustration I got my answer.  Here's what I did:

I had to save the .hlp file I was trying to open.  After downloading the file and the kb917607 file, I  still couldn't open it.

I had to go to CNETdownload.com and get Help Explorer 3.0 Win 32.  Once downloaded, I installed that, then did a search from my start menu for Help Explorer.  I was able to find where I found the .hlp file and open it from the opened Help Explorer program. 

I am horrible with computers but hope this helps and makes sense to you Greso.  Let me know if I can help further!

Saturday, January 7, 2012 9:12 PM