none
How do I remove personal PC from old business domain to join Windows 7 home network?

Question

• I brought my own laptop PC into a business I joined, and they registered the laptop to their domain and upgraded my Windows 7 Home to Ultimate. It was a temp assignment, now I've left the company fo another assignment, but will work from home. I've upgraded my family PCs to Windows 7 to create a homegroup network, but I can't join this homegroup with my laptop PC, as I'm prevented from doing so while the laptop is apparently still on the domain.  How can I remove my laptop from this domain, since it doesn't apply any more?
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 9:40 PM

Answers

• Hi,

First of all , I would like to advice you that you must need have an administrator’s permission account of this laptop. If so, You need to leave your laptop from the domain, then you need to change the Network Location to Home Network.

About how to leave your laptop form a domain, please kindly refer to the following steps:

Step 1. Click Start button, then point to Computer.

Step 2. Right-Click Computer, then click Properties.

Step 3. Under the Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings, click Change Settings.

Step 4. Then hit Change, change the Member of Option to Workgroup, hit OK.

Step 5. You will be prompted the administrator’s account, type it.

Step 6. Then restart your computer.

About how to join a Homegroup, Please kindly refer to the following steps:

Step 1. Make sure a HomeGroup has already been created. One computer on the network must create a HomeGroup, then all the other computers can join in.

Step 2. Make sure you know the HomeGroup password.

Step 3. Click the Start button.

Step 4. Click Control Panel from the Start Menu.

Step 4. In the search box type in homegroup -> now click HomeGroup.

Step 5. From the bottom right hand corner of the window click Join Now.

Step 6. Select the Libraries you would like to share over the network. Pictures, Music Videos and Printers are checked by default. You can add Documents by checking the box. Now click Next.

Step 7. Type in the HomeGroup password.

Step 8. Click Next and wait for the computer to join the HomeGroup.

Step 9. Click Finish and you’re done.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 8:30 AM

All replies

• Do you know the local computer administartor password? If not, can you change it or enable it if it is disabled. Then select Proeprties of the computer>Advanced System Settings. Under Computer name click Change. You can change the domain to workgroup or whatever haomegroup name you give.
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on

http://www.ChicagoTech.net

How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on

http://www.howtonetworking.com

Monday, November 22, 2010 1:35 AM
  • Hi,

First of all , I would like to advice you that you must need have an administrator’s permission account of this laptop. If so, You need to leave your laptop from the domain, then you need to change the Network Location to Home Network.

About how to leave your laptop form a domain, please kindly refer to the following steps:

Step 1. Click Start button, then point to Computer.

Step 2. Right-Click Computer, then click Properties.

Step 3. Under the Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings, click Change Settings.

Step 4. Then hit Change, change the Member of Option to Workgroup, hit OK.

Step 5. You will be prompted the administrator’s account, type it.

Step 6. Then restart your computer.

About how to join a Homegroup, Please kindly refer to the following steps:

Step 1. Make sure a HomeGroup has already been created. One computer on the network must create a HomeGroup, then all the other computers can join in.

Step 2. Make sure you know the HomeGroup password.

Step 3. Click the Start button.

Step 4. Click Control Panel from the Start Menu.

Step 4. In the search box type in homegroup -> now click HomeGroup.

Step 5. From the bottom right hand corner of the window click Join Now.

Step 6. Select the Libraries you would like to share over the network. Pictures, Music Videos and Printers are checked by default. You can add Documents by checking the box. Now click Next.

Step 7. Type in the HomeGroup password.

Step 8. Click Next and wait for the computer to join the HomeGroup.

Step 9. Click Finish and you’re done.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 8:30 AM
  • Problem is i cant even use my properties, it doesnt give me this permission, nor control panel, no usb ready , no cd, not even internet i dont know what to do, i can boot from CD and format it but id rather not to cause i really do need the information and files i have in there, However would be very nice if someone can help me

- Thank You!

Sunday, July 6, 2014 12:26 PM
  •   As Bob Lin said before, you need to be able to log on as a local administrator. You will not be able to do much if you can only log on with your domain user account.

Bill

Sunday, July 6, 2014 11:27 PM
  • Ok, so I'm sure you solved this at this point, but for future reference, you may want to try using BitDefenders Rescue disc. It will let you load as an admin, and you should be able to perform the neccesary functions there. 
    Wednesday, April 15, 2015 11:23 PM
  • Hi,

I was wanting to leave my domain so I followed the steps above. After the restart I tried to login but apparently my username and password that I have had for the past three years is now incorrect. I can no longer enter my computer which is very frustrating. If anyone knows how to fix the problem it would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 5:53 AM
  • How would you be able to remove yourself from the domain without the administrative password?
    Monday, May 29, 2017 12:47 AM
  • Get Hirens.
    Thursday, June 1, 2017 1:41 PM
  • Hirens can cure your problem.  
    Friday, July 21, 2017 11:18 PM