none
Getting UAC prompt when opening taskmgr.exe RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

One of the user is using Windows 10 version 1703 64 bit. User open Task Manager and it gives the below message

User account is a Standard. Please let me know why is it prompting UAC to open a task manager.

Regards, Boopathi

Thursday, August 29, 2019 5:26 PM

All replies

• Hi Boopathi,

Check two places:

1. Local Policies/Security Options: User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for standard

users = Automatically deny elevation requests

In reality, if you enable this option by GPO, an non admin user cannot open task manager, it's forbidden.

The only way is to right click and "run as administrator".

2. Computer Configuration>Policies>Windows Settings>Security Settings>Local Policies>User Rights Assignment

Load and unload device drivers, don’t add Users group here.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 30, 2019 2:39 AM
  • ok. I will check this and update. 

Regards, Boopathi

Friday, August 30, 2019 5:18 PM
  • Would you mind letting me know the update of the problem? If you need further assistance, feel free to let me know. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 9, 2019 8:17 AM
  • User had no time to check the below. I close the incident. 

1. Local Policies/Security Options: User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for standard

users = Automatically deny elevation requests

In reality, if you enable this option by GPO, an non admin user cannot open task manager, it's forbidden.

The only way is to right click and "run as administrator".

2. Computer Configuration>Policies>Windows Settings>Security Settings>Local Policies>User Rights Assignment

Load and unload device drivers, don’t add Users group here.

Regards, Boopathi

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 3:26 PM