none
Initialization error or "Webcam in use" message with any webcam using Vista Business

Question

• I get the following messages when I try to use a webcam on my laptop running Vista Business:

"Intitialization Error"
    "Error initializing camera"
    "Webcam in use by another application" (No applications running)

When I test the webcam using www.testmycam.com I get a black preview screen.

I have the same results with two different cameras. (LifeCam VX-1000 and Logitech QuickCam for Notebooks).
    After trying each camera I uninstall the camera applications and drivers before installing the next camera.

With both cameras DEVICE MANAGER shows them installed and displays the message "Device working properly" and shows a corresponding USB driver that also shows the message "Device working properly".

I have tried to update the drivers of both cameras through the "Update Driver" button available in the Properties window in the Device Manager tree.  LifeCam indicated the driver was up to date.  QuickCam updated the driver.  This did not have any effect.  (NOTE:  I have not had both cameras installed at the same time. )

(The cameras both work flawlessly on another computer that is running XP, 1.4 processor, 2G ram.)

I have tried the following procedures when each camera was installed.

1.  Performed "clean boot" with all non-MS services disabled.
    2.  Tried all four USB ports on this laptop.  (all ports will operate an external hard drive, wireless mouse and printers)
    3.  Unistalled and re-installed the LifeCam software, Quickcam software, and Dell Video chat.  (The LifeCam and QuickCam installations both start with the camera unattached and midway through the installation ask for the camera to be attached.  This procedure has been followed.)
    4.  The drivers and software always appear to install until they reach the point where the camera settings are going to be adjusted/checked at which time the error messages are displayed.  
    5.  Device Manager always shows the "Image Device" and USB connection installed and working properly.
    6.  Attempted to identify an application, process or service that could be "grabbing" the webcam by using Task Manager and CodeStuffStarter http://www.snapfiles.com/get/starter.html
    7.  I have tried selective configuration with all normal start-up services launching at boot EXCEPT Windows Image Acquisition service.  This had no effect. 
    8.  CamDiag.exe says everything is ok except the final preview window in CamDiag.exe is black. www.download32.com/webcam-diagnostics-d35065.html
    9.  Microsoft FIXIT finds no hardware problems. http://support.microsoft.com/gp/hardware_device_problems

I have also done the following once.  (i.e. not for each camera separately) 

I have tested Adobe Flash, it was OK but I reinstalled anyway.

Flash test
    Flash Install

I updated DirectX. http://www.windowssupport.org/landing/error/error_psmeugs.php?key=directx%20update&gclid=COTvkO727ZwCFRBbagodsFzYiw

I tried to update the video driver using the update button in the properties window of the Video device in DEVICE MANAGER.  But it said it is current.  The video card is NVIDA Quadro NVS 135M.

I updated the Intel chipset. http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/inf/

My computer is a Dell Latitude D830
    Intel (R) Core (TM) Duo CPU  T7250 @ 2ghz  2ghz
    4G ram
    32 Bit
    Vista Business Service Pack 2

I would be immensely grateful to anyone that can help.  I have searched Bing and Google until my eyes are bleary and cannot find a solution.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I suspect that Sysinternal Process Server can help track down the problem....unfortunately I don't really know what to look for there....
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 6:34 AM

All replies

• I see the same issue in Windows 7 RC 64-Bit.  I have a USB digital microscope and a Logitech webcam.  Both working fine and then one day both stopped displaying video.  Programs claim camera is in use by another application.  Updated drivers did a clean startup created a new user account nothing seems to work.  Interestingly if I connect one of the cameras to Virtual XP mode the camera works flawlessly.  I read of others with the issue and the solution ends up being a clean install of windows.  There must be a way to view what has handles on the cameras.
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 3:22 AM
  • I have the same issue on Windows 7 64-bit RTM on two (yes two!!) machines.  Rebuild is a last resort.  Did you find a solution to this issue?
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 3:27 AM
  • I have the same issue with my webcam and windows 7 x64 RTM.
    Friday, October 30, 2009 10:56 PM
  • Did your web cam work at some point and then after some MS updates stop working?
    Friday, October 30, 2009 11:59 PM
  • Both cameras work on another computer's Windows 7 64-bit install. If it helps at all I will give some more information.  I know I am running the Windows 7 Intel Chipset drivers.   I believe I at one point changed all the drivers back to stock with no avail.  I am on an HP Compaq nx9420 Business Laptop.  The computer they do work on is a Dell Desktop.
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 3:49 AM
  • Since a week or so I have the same problem in Vista 64, "Webcam in use by other application". Searched the internet for hours to find a solution and there is nothing available, but lot of people have the same problem. It's time that microsoft finds a solution for this problem.
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 11:19 AM
  • The machines where my cameras aren't working:

Dell E520 with a Q6600 cpu and 8 Gb RAM

Custom built home theatre PC: AMD Dual core 6400+ on an asrock AliveNF7G-HDReady mobo with 8 gb RAM.
    Monday, November 02, 2009 10:10 AM
  • I see the same issue in Windows 7 RC 64-Bit.  I have a USB digital microscope and a Logitech webcam.  Both working fine and then one day both stopped displaying video.  Programs claim camera is in use by another application.  Updated drivers did a clean startup created a new user account nothing seems to work.  Interestingly if I connect one of the cameras to Virtual XP mode the camera works flawlessly.  I read of others with the issue and the solution ends up being a clean install of windows.  There must be a way to view what has handles on the cameras.

You'd think so, but there doesn't appear to be.  I've tried running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 with the base configuration through msconfig and was still told that an application was using the Logitech and had an initialization error on the Lifecam.   I can't find any utility that will identify what is hogging the webcam (if anything),  and there's nothing useful from Microsoft or Logitech on the subject.

Considering how widespread the problems are you'd think there would be some effort made by both companies to resolve the problem.
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 9:21 PM
  • Thursday, November 05, 2009 4:23 PM
  • There are others:

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Webcams/QuickCam-Pro-9000-not-working-on-64-bit-Windows-7-using-lws110/m-p/398290#M71351

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprohardware/thread/8f07031c-fd81-47d8-9102-0ea47bb09b91?prof=required

for me this issue appears in all programs including the Logitech camera application, even right after the camera is installed.

A sneaky Microsoft Update installed the LWS 1.1 software and drivers on my good config machine last night and... it still works - so some good news, but the two broken machine are still broken.  I reinstalled LWS1.1 on the broken machines and compaired the driver useage between the good and bad configurations.  And Guess what:

Just as with the UVC drivers: with LWS 1.1 drivers  the good config is using ksthunk.sys and both bad configs are NOT

If it would be of any help I can use the Logitech Diagnostic Tool and send you the logs for both good and bad configurations.

Can others with this issue take a look at the driver details for the video device and see if ksthunk.sys is listed in good / bad configurations?  I'm convinced this is a clue in the puzzle.

Friday, November 06, 2009 2:54 AM
  • Ok this I think further proves this is a Windows issue.  I ran a couple SFC scans and it said a couple files were not passing SFC checks.  I finally resorted in imaging my computer (for safety) then did an upgrade install of Windows to replace all my system files with fresh copies and still retain my data.  Camera works now.  I hope this helps.  I still want to know the root cause of this.
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 3:46 AM
  • Yerterday, I did a clean Windows 7 64 bits install with no luck. My Hp WEBCAM did'n work. DEVICE MANAGER shows it installed and displays the message "Device working properly" and shows a corresponding USB driver that also shows the message "Device working properly" but when I try to use it with HP QuickPlay 3.7 y did not work "Hp Webcam cannot be accessed because it is being used by anothe application". I tried with skype, msn messenger, youcam, and I received similar messeges. Today I installed a Logitech QuickCam Fusion with the upgrade drivers for windows 7 64bits, the webcam installed without problems, but, to my soprise, I received the same error messages in all the programs. Obviously, I updated all drivers, DirectX 11, intel chipset drivers, etc., etc. The only way i found to operate the webcams was through Windows Xp Mode, both HP Webcam and Logitech QuickCam Fusion work without problems.
    I would be immensely grateful to anyone that can help.
    Regards,
    Roberto

My laptop is a "HP Pavilon dv9700"
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 3:59 PM
  •  

Can others with this issue take a look at the driver details for the video device and see if ksthunk.sys is listed in good / bad configurations?  I'm convinced this is a clue in the puzzle.

Here is how I resolved the similar problem when both of my web cameras have stopped working in Windows 7 x64:

1. Open regedit
    2. Open the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{6BDD1FC6-810F-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}
    3. Make sure the value of UpperFilters contains ksthunk line. Add it if missing.

In my case Kaspersky AntiVirus has overwritten this with its Device Control filter. As well when uninstalled it left extra empty lines in the UpperFilters values for other classes, so I had to go and manually remove them - otherwise some of the devices appeared with the yellow exclamation mark under Device Manager.

Hope it helps

• Proposed as answer by Vengeance64 Saturday, July 31, 2010 10:13 AM
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 10:13 PM
  • Thank you good man! That worked for me too. I had no UpperFilters key, but i just created that key by myself with ksthunk value. I had 3 {6BDD1FC6-810F-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F} keys, so to understand which is correct one see the first entry - it should say imaging devices.
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 6:49 PM
  • I think I have found a workaround to most of the problems discussed in this thread, so you may want to try this and provide your feedback to this forum.  My cousin purchased a brand new Windows 7 64-bit computer and a Logitech c500 webcam.  Everything was working fine until an attempt was made to engage in an actual video conference where the video screen would be black or blank during the connection, but we could see the video of a family member at the other end.  The webcam seemed to work perfectly when in Tools -> Options -> Video settings.  Then we got the idea to right-click the Skype icon from the desktop, select "Properties" and then select "Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows Vista (Service Pack 2)".  After making this change, video conferencing with Skype began to work perfectly.  What is strange is that we decided to deselect the compatibility mode (back to normal Windows 7 mode) and it still works.  If or when we again have the problem, we will go back to compatibility mode for Vista SP2 and report back to this forum.
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 12:58 AM
  • I'm sure I'm doing it wrong... Could you please detail the place and exact keys/values you enter where? I'm just too dumb I think. Thanks!
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 1:31 PM
  • Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{6BDDlFC6-810F-llD0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}

right-click the right pane in regedit and select: New -> Multi-String Value

and name it: UpperFilters

Then right-click on the new object you have created and select; Modify ...

and enter the value: ksthunk

Then REBOOT your machine.

And that should do it.

;-)

• Proposed as answer by Vengeance64 Saturday, July 31, 2010 10:13 AM
    Monday, March 29, 2010 12:46 AM
  • Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{6BDDlFC6-810F-llD0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}

And that should do it.

;-)

Whoever you are, I <expletive deleted>ing love you. No joke. I would have your babies. If I had a womb. I've been trying to get my damn camera to work since bloody November of last year, and FINALLY I found this thread, and voila. That's all there is to it. Thank you, thank you, a thousand times thank you.
    Saturday, July 31, 2010 10:15 AM
  • Yeah I looked at this and the ksthunk is there but my webcam still not working
    Friday, August 20, 2010 7:09 AM

And that should do it.

;-)

unfortunately this solution doesn;t work for me either!
    Monday, September 13, 2010 9:50 PM
  • Unfortunately it did not work for me either so I am still without a working camara :-(
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 3:20 PM

And that should do it.

;-)

for those of you who bought a hp HD-3100 webcam this works just locate this and take off the line that says arcsoft (why would the put something that is a half fix?)
    Sunday, January 30, 2011 7:06 AM
  • I havent tried any of these yet, however, I noticed I kept getting that error when I did the updates. When I factory rebooted it, everything worked, till I started doing the updates and the everything went down hill. Using Vista.
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 7:15 PM
  • hi,i have e Hp G62 notebook model A24sz, with built in web cam, with Windows 7, i tried to search this file,but i cant find it, i just find that in,REGEDIT

.([Settings]
    RegDevLog=C:\System.Sav\RegDev.Log

[IgnoredDevices]
    ;Not to flag the 2 Com Ports below. OS creates (and disables) these for Non-ACPI HAL.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\ROOT\*PNP0501\1_0_17_0_0_0
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\ROOT\*PNP0501\1_0_17_1_0_0)

please can you help me to resolve the webcam

Monday, May 16, 2011 9:33 PM
  • Hi,

I am going to be crazy. I also have problems with my webcams VX-2000.

I am trying to connect 2 webcams VX-2000 simultaneously to a PC for video surveillance.

Sometimes, and I don't know why, the preview in Microsoft Lifecam software is blank (black).

The only way to resolve this problem is to disconnect and reconnect the Webcam that is malfunctioning and then the preview displays the real image.

And after many time (I don't know how many: it seems to be a random problem) the problem is coming back and I am far away from the PC: I am connecting to it with Logmein, and with Logmein it is impossible to disconnect and reconnect the Webcam.

I have already tried all what I found on the net about this problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933310

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933311

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953692

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wlmessengerdev/thread/c72b207d-69ac-4d55-b99b-757b84d207d8/

Nothing works for me.

I have tried on many configurations and the results are:

•           (Acer Aspire X3910) Pentium Dual Core E5800@3,20GHz + 4Go RAM + Win7 64 bits + 2 Lifecam VX 2000 simultaneously – The Problem is present
    •           (Acer Aspire X1920) Pentium Dual Core E6700@3,20GHz + 4Go RAM + Win7 64 bits + 2 Lifecam VX 2000 simultaneously – The Problem is present
    •           Pentium Dual Core E5500@2,80GHz + 2Go RAM + Win7 64 bits + 2 Lifecam VX 2000 simultaneously – The Problem seems to be not present

I have many theories about this problem, tell me what seems possible to you or what do you think about my problem:

1-      The combinaison Win7 64 Bits + 4Go RAM + 2 Lifecam VX 2000 simultaneously is malfunctioning

2-      Acer PCs have some running programs that are the reason of this problem

3-      The USB Hub is not powered enough for 2 lifecams VX 2000 simultaneously

4-      The USB Hub has not enough bandwith for 2 lifecams VX 2000 simultaneously

John T613

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 1:16 PM