none
Windows 7 Wont Recognize My Playstation 3 As A Media Server..

Question

• My Playstation 3 wont find windows media player 11's media server .. i had it running for like 3 weeks then it just stoped working on me and i tried trouble shooting everything i can think of .. i called the playstation hotline the dlink hotline and now im turning to this. i have added all my media to wmp 11 and i evern added the folders to my shared network. and i still have nothing .. so can u please help me fix this problem.
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 7:46 PM

Answers

• ok i did all that and it didnt work ... but i reinstalled windows 7 reset my router and installed panda antivirus .. and now im flying .. my ps3 reads the media server. and im not gettin knocked off the internet all the time ... so im guessing norton fd me up .. but its goin strong now .. but thanks for all the help ...
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 9:03 PM

All replies

• Hi, Flik.
    You said "WMP11." 
    What version of Windows are you running?  Windows 7 (the operating system that this forum is for) ships with WMP12; WMP11 is included in Windows Vista, and is available for Windows XP.
    So, ah, watcha got?  ;)

-Chris
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 2:57 AM
  • Im sorry . i thought it was wmp 11. but im runnin windows 7 not vista . and im having this problem .. do you know how to fix this ?
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 6:48 PM
  • Hey - needed to ask.
    Open Network and Sharing Center, and verify these settings:
    Network Type:  Home
    Network discovery:  ON
    File sharing:  ON
    Media streaming:  ON

What antivirus software are you running?  It come with a firewall?
    Any third-party firewall installed?

-Chris
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 8:42 PM
  • Ok Everything is enabled and still having the problem.
    I Have Norton Internet Security . So firewall and antivirus.
    should i try to disable the firewall ?
    and if you need to know my router its a Dlink DIR-615.
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 9:18 PM
  • I just changed my norton to panda antivirus to get rid of my firewall but still give me some insight if u have any...
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 11:15 PM
  • OK, NIS could have been the issue.  But, you've uninstalled it.
    However, I'd still like you to run the Norton Removal Tool, to make sure that NIS is really gone.  Norton products have a nasty habit of leaving, ah, remnants.

What specific version of Panda AV did you install?

-Chris
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 12:40 AM
  • 1,disable your firewall temporally to see if this resolves the problem
    2.disable your antivirus protection temporally
    3.Make sure that the Windows Media Network Sharing Service (or something along these lines) is running. How to find out:
    3.1.Start, then type in services
    3.2.Scroll down to the bottom
    3.3Check that the Windows Media Network Sharing service is running (It's Status will say "Started")
    4.Leave Media Player open when you try to use the PS3

After every step, try it again
    and Remember to turn your anti-virus and firewall back on again :)

If no luck, have a look at the solutions here:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itpromedia/thread/8eb27579-b058-42ce-abb3-324f60361f60
    This for an Xbox 360, but the solutions 'should' be valid in your case

The PC Specs: Athlon 3500+ 1GB RAM Geforce 8600 GT (256MB) MB:ASUS A8N-VM-CSM
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 2:12 AM
  • ok i did all that and it didnt work ... but i reinstalled windows 7 reset my router and installed panda antivirus .. and now im flying .. my ps3 reads the media server. and im not gettin knocked off the internet all the time ... so im guessing norton fd me up .. but its goin strong now .. but thanks for all the help ...
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 9:03 PM
  • Norton is good for that.  :)

Glad you got it sorted.

-Chris
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 10:34 PM