none
Windows media player not working!!!!(vista)

Question

• hi,
    i got vista home premium, and recently i installed kapersky anti-virus 7, then i uninstalled it the next day after a full system scan.  i knew that it would clash with the applications on the computer but i found that out the day after. i tried to use Windows Media Player 11, but it just didn't start.  i am unable to uninstall it because vista didn't provide that function.  i tried system restore to go back before i installed kapersky, but i didn't know that i had to do it in safe mode.  so i screwed that one up.
    i tried uninstalling and reinstalling the latest update that is provided for wmp11 but that didn't work either.  from what i can see neither the real player or flash player (internet) is working.

please, could someone come up with a solution.  i've searched the web, and no-one seems to have the answer.

i have the latest version of wmp11 which is 11.0.6000.6344

Thank you
    Sunday, October 28, 2007 8:49 PM

Answers

• Try disabling user account control

click start and type msconfig
    open the tools tab and highlight disable uac then click launch
    reboot after the command prompt says operation completed successfully.

still an issue? if so open windows movie maker goto tools-> options click reset, open advanced tab and reset filters
    Wednesday, November 07, 2007 11:39 PM
  • hi

But it would not let me un-install the player.  What I am doing is using another player, which is ok.  I am still waiting to see if I can do anything else, or I will need to recover the full system.

Thanks

Wednesday, November 07, 2007 7:30 PM

All replies

• I am hving exactly the same problem as above. i tried re-installing WMP 11 but got the following message:

"There is a more recent version of WMP (11.0.6000.6344) on your computer. It is not possible to use an older installation package (11.0.5721.5146) to install files or to repair your current version of the player"
    • Proposed as answer by mental-j Tuesday, November 09, 2010 6:26 PM
    Wednesday, November 07, 2007 1:14 PM
  • hi

But it would not let me un-install the player.  What I am doing is using another player, which is ok.  I am still waiting to see if I can do anything else, or I will need to recover the full system.

Thanks

Wednesday, November 07, 2007 7:30 PM
  • Try disabling user account control

click start and type msconfig
    open the tools tab and highlight disable uac then click launch
    reboot after the command prompt says operation completed successfully.

still an issue? if so open windows movie maker goto tools-> options click reset, open advanced tab and reset filters
    Wednesday, November 07, 2007 11:39 PM
  •  

You Said To Disable The UAC And Reboot The PC, And After Delete The WMP Folder?!?!
    Monday, November 12, 2007 2:09 PM
  • Monday, November 12, 2007 7:22 PM
  • Hi everyone,
    I am having the same problem.  It was working fine initially after 4 months of having computer. I have Windows Vista Home Premimum and WMP11 came installed. I have a Gateway Notebook. I thought it might have something to do with the automatic updates that happened on November 2, 2007.  I also have problems with my IE not loading completely or not being able to click link buttons on the page.  When I use Firefox, I have no problems clicking that same link.  It either has something to do with the update or some file that launches the media player and different items in IE was corrupt with that update.  If anyone find out anything.......PLEASE POST AND HELP OUT...does not look like Microsoft is interested in helping??
    Mso
    Tuesday, December 11, 2007 7:29 AM
  • I am experiencing the exact same problem for approximately the same duration of time.
    Friday, December 28, 2007 7:29 PM
  • I have a similar problem, although i think it was caused by trying to download a skin.

I tried disabling the uac but it still won't let me delete the program file.

I tried to do the movie maker thing too (it didn't work)

(I have Vista premium)

Monday, December 31, 2007 3:14 AM
  • Having the exact same problem as everyone else here on the page.

Windows Media Player is version 11.0.6000.6344 and does not open. I have downloaded the latest version I could find to download from the media player download page,
    11.0.5721.5146. When you try to run this it returns an error message that you can't install an older version of the player to the one that is currently installed.

The problem has existed for about a month, and so I wondered would it be caused by a windows update, specifically http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=82738F1A-EEA4-4BBE-B3B8-FA25E4FAFF81&displaylang=en . I tried uninstalling it but it made no difference. I also tried a system restore but they only go back 3 weeks, which isn't back far enough.

Anyone got any idea what the problem is, looks like there's quite a few people with the problem, thanks...

Tuesday, January 01, 2008 2:54 PM
  • I have the same problem that you with the windows media player 11 same version, if you or anyone has found the solution... please tell me my mail is magdalena1234@hotmail.com

Saturday, January 05, 2008 7:25 PM
  • I am also having the same problem.one week back i installed many updates and new anti virus. From then on, i could not open the Windows media Player no matter how i try. I could not even find any details in the event viewer as well as any other processes. It is so  frustrating now, I am trying to use other media players to cope with this.

Please help about how to go from here.
    Sunday, January 06, 2008 6:48 AM
  • i ve been having the same problem. it so so funny that we are trying to solve this issue ourselves while microsoft should have found a solution already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so common microsoft people give us a break and let us repair this player.

11.0.6000.6344 HAS ISSUES
    Wednesday, January 09, 2008 11:21 AM
  • I have the Exact problem with mine on Home-basic too

only thing is i was stupid enough to try and delete it any way and by so doing i limited it down to one file containing several files which are causing the problem the file name are unique with each system but i belive the starting portion is the same

these files need to be deleted from this directory

"C:\Windows\winsxs"

the files in question start out like this

x86_Microsoft_windows_mediaplayer 

these files are located roughly halfway through the winsxs file when viewing at Resolution 1024 X 768

these folders contain the WMP 11.6 update

the problem there being That these files are in a system protected read-only file and will give you a destination folder access denied error if you attempt to delete them. I have not yet found a way to deactivate the Read-only status because if it is done in folder properties it automatically reactivates itself i have not yet tried using the command prompt to delete the files as the names are far to long but i highly doubt that it will work

If anyone knows how to deactivate the read only status or get around the access denied error please post it here

Note: Dont say deactivate UAC as I have tried that and i still get the access denied error

Monday, January 14, 2008 10:08 PM
  • I'm having a similar problem on a Windows XP machine.  One user account can open Media Player just fine but any other user on the same machine cannot launch media player.  All users are members of the Administrators group.  This just started happing last week.  Before that we didn't have any problems with Media Player.

I've tried rolling back to a previous version and then re-installing version 11 -- Didn't fix it.

Tried creating a new user account -- Still won''t launch.

This is very frustrating.  I'm about ready to re-install XP from scratch.

Friday, January 18, 2008 11:38 PM
  • Then Please Submit Your Post in the Windows XP section Rather Than in the Windows Vista Section

Anyway I have now set up a dual OS (I have installed Vista and XP) and i am attempting to reinstall WMP 11 and/or change the version of the installer through XP

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 9:06 PM
  • i'm trying to roll back to media player 10, but can't uninstall this one.  mp11 won't recognize my mp3 player.  i'm about ready to go to mac.  had just about enough ms ***!!

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 11:54 PM
  • Hi Aayesha,

Have you found a solution?  I have followed the postings and have not been able to figure out a fix.  Any help you can provide would be great. 

Gerry

Sunday, January 27, 2008 5:44 PM
  • I've got XP Home and Windows Media Player has not been working for a few months.  I think it has not worked since installing Kapersky anti-virus. I wonder if Kapersky might have a solution?

Saturday, February 02, 2008 5:06 PM
  • Im running Vista Home Premium and having the identical issue.  I have been all over the net looking for a fix but have only found more people with the same problem and no solution.  =(
    Monday, February 11, 2008 6:25 PM
  •  Jts507 wrote:

Then Please Submit Your Post in the Windows XP section Rather Than in the Windows Vista Section

Anyway I have now set up a dual OS (I have installed Vista and XP) and i am attempting to reinstall WMP 11 and/or change the version of the installer through XP

Hold on there Jts507.  How dare you post a comment that mentions XP in a Vista section!!!!

Since the original post is about Media Player (which runs on both XP and Vista) I think's it's OK to mention that the same type of problem occurs in XP.  But then I'm not a member of the message bord police, so what do I know.
    Wednesday, February 13, 2008 2:56 PM
  • I deleted the Firefox Plugin from Uninstall menu and it started working again.

Sunday, February 24, 2008 12:13 AM
  •  

The Answer : Go to http://www.appscout.com/2008/03/windows_media_player_version_p.php and follow the instructions. My Media Player now works fine !

It's a pity that Microsoft could not, in all its wisdom, help.

I too will be going over to Apple !

Thursday, April 03, 2008 5:41 PM
  • Yep same problem at its really annoying, ive tried the REGEDIT thing but it didnt is there any solution out there, i dont understand how this can happen to so many people and there not be an answer

Friday, April 04, 2008 4:52 PM
  • I have Found A solution ...everyone knows what im going to say and no-one is going to be happy about it but as far as i know this is the only way THIS Solution is intended ONLY for people how have reinstall issues caused by MEDIA PLAYER UPDATE 11.0.6000.6344

CONTINUING TO DO SO WILL ERASE ALL FILES ON YOUR COMPUTER I MEAN ALL OF THEM system32 Drivers Restricted files pictures programs everything IT IS RECOMMENDED TO BACKUP EVERYTHING YOU DONT WANT TO LOOSE ONTO A EXTERNAL DRIVE CD OR FLASH DRIVE  Print this post to avoid forgetting what you are doing as you will not be able to read it until the process is complete

... You have to do A system Reformat which is using your vista CD to enter your repair console which is basically a CMD prompt after entering type in  " format C: " and press enter then you wait as your vista cd erases all files on the hard drive

and as ive recently discovered the drive signature with it once this is complete you will have to re-install vista which will possibly take several hours but it will reinstall windows media player and force you to re-enter all of your settings and preferences again

NOTE: Do NOT download MEDIA PLAYER UPDATE 11.0.6000.6344

Also IT is Not a good idea to Mess with REGEDIT Unless You are absolutely certain about what you are doing

the registries are the Core operating components of windows and changing one value to the wrong thing could possibly make your computer highly unstable ...I know from personal experience

Sunday, April 06, 2008 2:43 AM
  • I bought the computer, it had vista with this version of media player installed. It will not give me sound when I try to put in a dvd and wont play, for some strange reason, .wma files. This makes no sense. THe stupid thing cant be uninstalled, cant be repaired and just doesnt work. Does anyone know how to fix this? My favorite meditation music to lay while the kids and I get ready for bed is non-playable with this computer the way it is.

I hate having to have more than 1 music program in my computer, 1 should be enough. I tried the contact support thing and got sent in circles for a half hour. I am very frustrated at this point and I swear if there were another o.s. I could locate around here Microsoft would never have to wory about hearing from me. Does anyone know when 12 comes out so we can maybe upgrade this stupid thing to repair it? lol.

Sunday, April 13, 2008 3:27 PM
  • This worked for me immediately try it.

Q: Something happened to my Windows Media Player in Windows Vista. I don't know what or when, but for the last few months I have been unable to use it. I get the message "Windows Media Player is not installed properly" when I try to open it. If I select yes to go to the Microsoft Web site, I can't install it because I am told it is already installed. I don't know how to uninstall it. It doesn't show up in the Control Panel, where I can add or remove programs. It seems to be integrated into Vista, and I don't know what to do. I have searched for the right version of that wmploc.dll on web sites that offer downloads of missing .dlls. But I can't tell which version is which, so I haven't tried to replace it. I don't want to mess something else up. I hope you can help me with this. I have saved all the other things you have helped me with and I have been able to pass that help on to others. - Isabel Berney.

A: Apparently this is caused by a version mixup in the Registry. If you get rid of the incorrect information, Media Player will stop complaining and run just fine. Here's how:

• Click the Start Orb.
    • Enter REGEDIT.
    • When prompted, click Continue or enter an Administrator password.
    • In the Registry Editor navigate to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Setup\Installed versions. You do this just as you would navigate to a certain folder in Windows Explorer.
    • In the right-hand pane find three values named wmp.dll, wmplayer.exe, and wmploc.dll.
    • Right-click each of these values in turn and choose Delete from the popup menu.
    • Close the Registry Editor

Media Player should now load without any gripes. - Neil J. Rubenking.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 12:09 AM
  • This worked for me immediately try it.

Q: Something happened to my Windows Media Player in Windows Vista. I don't know what or when, but for the last few months I have been unable to use it. I get the message "Windows Media Player is not installed properly" when I try to open it. If I select yes to go to the Microsoft Web site, I can't install it because I am told it is already installed. I don't know how to uninstall it. It doesn't show up in the Control Panel, where I can add or remove programs. It seems to be integrated into Vista, and I don't know what to do. I have searched for the right version of that wmploc.dll on web sites that offer downloads of missing .dlls. But I can't tell which version is which, so I haven't tried to replace it. I don't want to mess something else up. I hope you can help me with this. I have saved all the other things you have helped me with and I have been able to pass that help on to others. - Isabel Berney.

A: Apparently this is caused by a version mixup in the Registry. If you get rid of the incorrect information, Media Player will stop complaining and run just fine. Here's how:

* Click the Start Orb.
        * Enter REGEDIT.
        * When prompted, click Continue or enter an Administrator password.
        * In the Registry Editor navigate to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Setup\Installed versions. You do this just as you would navigate to a certain folder in Windows Explorer.
        * In the right-hand pane find three values named wmp.dll, wmplayer.exe, and wmploc.dll.
        * Right-click each of these values in turn and choose Delete from the popup menu.
        * Close the Registry Editor

Media Player should now load without any gripes. - Neil J. Rubenking.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 12:15 AM
  •  

Note:  This fix is for Windows Vista.  I am running 32-bit Vista.  Let me know if this works for the 64-bit and/or XP.

Hey guys/gals I found a solution!!!!

This was my problem:

I click on WMP icon and nothing appears no matter how many times I clicked it.  Task manager does not show any signs of WMP running.  I tried to re-install it, but WMP wouldn't let me because the install was an older version of WMP.  So after a few days of searching the net, I finally came across a fix that actually worked out for me.

Fix:

1.  Click on Start (Orb), then All Programs, then Accessories.

2.  Right-click on Command Prompt.  Run as Administrator.  Click continue or enter password.

3.  Type the following: 

regsvr32 jscript.dll

Press enter, then click ok.  Then type the following:

regsvr32 vbscript.dll

Press enter, then click ok.

4.  Type exit, then press enter.

5.  Start WMP.

6.  Done!

Here is the link where i found the fix:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925704/en-us

Hope this fixed WMP for you guys.

• Proposed as answer by loli888 Friday, May 29, 2009 7:15 PM
    Wednesday, April 23, 2008 2:17 AM
  • M DiLLa post fixed a cute girl's computer.....scored some points.  Really though, it worked after she tried for months (although she's not the brightest bulb, if you know what I mean.) -JFro

Monday, April 28, 2008 4:23 AM
  • Haha. Juss here to help bro. Good to know I helped someone out and helped someone score some "points."
    Tuesday, April 29, 2008 9:52 PM
  •  

i might be having a similar problem

everytime i turn on the computer i get a messege reading {windows media player natwork sharing has stopped working} then when i use windows media player and click a song it closes on me and it never works!!!!

Saturday, May 03, 2008 2:16 AM
  • hello,

i tried the fix and it worked..

thanks a million....hope others will c it.

Friday, May 16, 2008 8:48 PM
  • Hi there, I have exactly the same problem as you do.  I ve been through all the problems that are told in these forums but I never had a solution for my media player 11 (Vista). You click and nothing happens...

I would be very grateful if you could tell me whether you've found a solution.

Thank you in advance
    Saturday, May 17, 2008 12:37 PM
  • Thanks a ton to m dilla.  I'd tried everything else and was about to format.  Fix worked immediately for me.
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 6:55 PM
  • Running  on Vista 32:  Windows Media Player 11 (11.0.6000.6344) not working here.  It just won't start up, or closes as soon as it starts with an error saying "Windows Media Player has stopped working.  Windows is checking for a solution." Then "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

So then it closes and nothing..I could've figure out it wasn't working correctly and I guess there is no solution available?

I tried the fix from here and it still occurs.. Sad

Saturday, June 21, 2008 1:23 AM
  • hi. i got a problem with my windows media player as well. its working on audio cd & vcd's. but once i tried watching dvd, i can hear the sound but i cant see anything on the screen. can anyone help me with this problem?
    Monday, June 23, 2008 4:10 PM
  • I have home basic...... so many probs.... now the media player....

Why hasn't microsoft fixed it ????

Monday, July 28, 2008 1:39 PM
  • CANCELING McAFEE ANTI-VIRUS BECAUSE OF THEIR FIREWALL BROUGHT MY MEDIA PLAYER BACK. I

PERSONALLY WENT TO NORTON FOR "VISTA" IT WORKED.............. HOPE THIS HELPS.

Monday, July 28, 2008 2:50 PM
  • DISABLE YOUR FIREWALL !!!!!!!!!! ENABLE WINDOWS

FIREWALL........... MEDIA PLAYER SHOULD START.........

Monday, July 28, 2008 7:02 PM
  • I am another victim of this problem.  I run Vista Home Premium on a Dell laptop and have been experiencing it for a few months now.  I even took my laptop into a local computer guru, who ended up installing Mozilla Firefox and told me to forget about Microsoft.  The real kicker is that I don't have full use of my MSN email, because links don't work in MSN, and the Settings page comes up BLANK and I can't access parental controls for my kids or anything.  So I access my email through hotmail, which is a HUGE inconvenience and completely limiting.  My Windows Media Player WON'T LAUNCH AT ALL!!!!!

Hey you Microsoft geniuses who are supposed to be able to think in multiple dimensions (even negative 1), where are you in providing a patch or solution to this problem?  There are obviously LOTS of frustrated people out here.
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 2:49 PM
  • It didn't work for me...

I've had the same version of wmp for a year now and I've had no problems. I never do the suggested updates, but I finally decided to do them. After updating everything, my wmp doesn't work. When I click on it, nothing happens. I don't even have any error messages, it just doesn't do anything. I have Vista btw.
    Friday, August 01, 2008 8:17 PM
  • Hi guys

I had the same issue and after looking a lot I have found a codec was corrupting libraries used by WM11.

First: exec cmd in administrator mode (run as administrator) regsvr32 /u mmswitch.ax bad codec in my case

Second: regsrv32 wmp.dll

Third:import this keys to register, you can do it saving it in a .reg file saving it with notepad:

REGEDIT4
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{CD3AFA71-B84F-48F0-9393-7EDC34128127}\ProgID] @="WMP11.AssocFile.WMZ"
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{CD3AFA72-B84F-48F0-9393-7EDC34128127}\ProgID] @="WMP11.AssocFile.AIFF"
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{CD3AFA73-B84F-48F0-9393-7EDC34128127}\ProgID] @="WMP11.AssocFile.AU"
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{CD3AFA74-B84F-48F0-9393-7EDC34128127}\ProgID] @="WMP11.AssocFile.MIDI"
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{CD3AFA76-B84F-48F0-9393-7EDC34128127}\ProgID] @="WMP11.AssocFile.MP3"
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{CD3AFA77-B84F-48F0-9393-7EDC34128127}\ProgID] @="WMP11.AssocFile.MP3"
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{CD3AFA78-B84F-48F0-9393-7EDC34128127}\ProgID] @="WMP11.AssocFile.M3U"
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{CD3AFA7B-B84F-48F0-9393-7EDC34128127}\ProgID] @="WMP11.AssocFile.WAV"
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{CD3AFA83-B84F-48F0-9393-7EDC34128127}\ProgID] @="WMP11.AssocFile.WAX"
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{CD3AFA84-B84F-48F0-9393-7EDC34128127}\ProgID] @="WMP11.AssocFile.WMA"
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{CD3AFA88-B84F-48F0-9393-7EDC34128127}\ProgID] @="WMP11.AssocFile.AVI"
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{CD3AFA89-B84F-48F0-9393-7EDC34128127}\ProgID] @="WMP11.AssocFile.MPEG"
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{CD3AFA8F-B84F-48F0-9393-7EDC34128127}\ProgID] @="WMP11.AssocFile.ASX"
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{CD3AFA90-B84F-48F0-9393-7EDC34128127}\ProgID] @="WMP11.AssocFile.ASX"
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{CD3AFA92-B84F-48F0-9393-7EDC34128127}\ProgID] @="WMP11.AssocFile.ASF"
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{CD3AFA93-B84F-48F0-9393-7EDC34128127}\ProgID] @="WMP11.AssocFile.ASX"
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{CD3AFA94-B84F-48F0-9393-7EDC34128127}\ProgID] @="WMP11.AssocFile.WMV"
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{CD3AFA95-B84F-48F0-9393-7EDC34128127}\ProgID] @="WMP11.AssocFile.WVX"
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{EE4DA6A4-8C52-4a63-BBB8-97C93D7E1B6C}\ProgID] @="WMP11.AssocFile.WMD"

Enter register and import file.

It works.

Solution by microsoft

P.S: don't intall codecs from 3rd partys, you don't know what are you installing

XAG

MCSA: messaging

• Proposed as answer by SorrisoW Monday, October 26, 2009 9:00 PM
    Thursday, August 07, 2008 2:50 PM
  •  M DiLLa wrote:

Note:  This fix is for Windows Vista.  I am running 32-bit Vista.  Let me know if this works for the 64-bit and/or XP.

This was my problem:

I click on WMP icon and nothing appears no matter how many times I clicked it.  Task manager does not show any signs of WMP running.  I tried to re-install it, but WMP wouldn't let me because the install was an older version of WMP.  So after a few days of searching the net, I finally came across a fix that actually worked out for me.

Fix:

1.  Click on Start (Orb), then All Programs, then Accessories.

2.  Right-click on Command Prompt.  Run as Administrator.  Click continue or enter password.

3.  Type the following: 

regsvr32 jscript.dll

regsvr32 vbscript.dll

4.  Type exit, then press enter.

5.  Start WMP.

6.  Done!

this worked great for me even on XP Wink   thanks M DiLLa !!!
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 5:13 PM
  • Latest version WMP is

Version 11.0.6001.7000

Tuesday, September 02, 2008 3:33 PM
  • None of these solutions seem to work for me.

Tuesday, September 02, 2008 9:07 PM
  •  sexecutive wrote:
    None of these solutions seem to work for me.

I running Vista Ultimate 64.  I have tried many different solutions and none seem to work.  I saw it commented that someone's media player stopped after about 4 months.  My Media Player also stopped after about 4 months.  It seems I will have to do a reinstall of the OS at this point.  I wish Microsoft would let us uninstall and then reinstall Media Player without having to reload the OS.

Tuesday, September 02, 2008 9:17 PM
  • Note that none of the above fixes will work if Windows Media Player process is already running. Try this fix:

Hit CTRL-ALT-DEL

Choose "Start Task Manager"

Choose the "Processes" Tab

Under Image Name, find "wmplayer.exe" - if you click on "Image Name" it will sort alphabetically

Click on "wmplayer.exe" to highlight it.

Click End Process

Try starting Windows Media Player.

Sorry for the very basic instructions - some people need them.

I hope this helps!

• Proposed as answer by viperist300 Saturday, January 08, 2011 9:38 PM
    Saturday, September 06, 2008 1:44 PM
  •  

it's so funny cuz i have exactly same problem with window media player "the newest version" one.

and the first note that was posted was jan 2008 AND it hasn't been fixed yet!

hope there's a compromisable solution for this problem soon.

there're so many errors in vista and i'm too frustrated..

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 1:55 PM
  • Hi

I had, about a week ago, exactly the same problem (only, I uninstalled Kaspersky with Revo Uninstaller) ; since then I have to use Firefox, since IE 7 and 8 Beta not displaying some websites) and Windows Media Player is not working at all ; I have searched the web, but, so far, I´m convinced that the best way is to back up all the files to a second disk and install, from scratch, Windows Vista, again.

In fact, even with Revo Uninstaller, the system, still keeps traces of Kaspersky ; I was working with a trial version, but I was receiving, permanently, "fake warnings" about problems to fix, regarding the UPS sw

Before formatting and reinstalling Windows Vista (in fact, I am going to create a Windows Xp partition)
    , if found any solution, any help would be welcome

Just to finish, it is quite amazing that Microsoft doesn´t have an answer for this problem (at least, I dind´t find any), and ironically, iti is the first time I work with a 100% legal operating system

Meanwhile, if I find any other alternative I will come back to you all.

Thank you

Friday, October 03, 2008 11:03 PM
  • I found this solution as i had the same problem and it worked first time

Start->Run->regsvr32 jscript.dll
    Start->Run->regsvr32 vbscript.dll

There's a space after regsvr32. hope this helps some of the people here because this problem can be very frustrating.

Good Luck

Thursday, October 16, 2008 3:49 PM
  • This worked for me, thanks. It also cleared up the problem I was having with Yahoo Messenger and Google sidebar.
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 8:24 PM
  • This worked perfectly - thx so much
    Monday, October 20, 2008 11:52 PM
  • My media player works for some files & not for others, something about missing codecs, either in my WMP or the files that are compressed that I try to play. I assume I have the WMP 11, as it came pre-installed in my Windows Vista home Basic. As you say, I can't find any downloads for corrupt files and/or codecs for WMP 11 either.

Sunday, October 26, 2008 4:30 PM
  • Also I do not have Window Media Player in Programs and Features so I am unable to remove or delete program? Is there a way to relsolve this issue?

Friday, November 07, 2008 12:43 AM
  • If you look through this thread, ive posted a solution for you all J X

Friday, November 07, 2008 12:57 AM
  • For heavens sake get a Mac .They don't have crappy operating systems like Vista and no annoying messages. Plus, they don't get viruses.

Anyway, the mac version of WM11 is not working. And I don't have your stupid command prompt to fix it. 
    Friday, December 05, 2008 11:24 PM
  • Hi Suzy, Thanks for trying to help!

I'm new here and have been reading these posts, and tried what you suggested, but it didn't fix my particular problem. 

When I try to play anything on Windows Media Player v. 11, I get this message:

"Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file. For additional assistance, click Web Help."

Nothing I've tried thus far works. 

Would you have any other suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Thursday, December 11, 2008 3:06 AM
  • OK I may have a fix - YMMV

This is from memory as it is now fixed!!

When you get the error box, click on the more details at the bottom, look down the list for the 'module name' in my case it was indiv01.key.

Open up explorer & type that file name in the search box... NOW open up the advanced search / search pane and tick 'search in unindexed, hidden, system files'

you should find the file in a 'cache' directory.. mine was in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\DRM\Cache

Now read this:
    THIS IS PROBABLY THE FILE THAT HOLDS YOUR DRM INFORMATION - you MAY/WILL LOSE all DRM information doing this.

Did you read that - good, now rename the file extension to .kex (Or anything else other than .key) & try and start WMP...

David
    David
    Sunday, January 04, 2009 5:45 PM
  • did you get this fixed? I got the same problem?
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 8:51 PM
  • Did you get the problem fixed? if so how?
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 8:52 PM
  • Hi I tried the other one messing around with the Registry bit - that didn't work.  The fix from microsoft does work.

Thanks
    Friday, May 29, 2009 7:14 PM
  • Yup that works absolutely fine for me..i just opened the windows Movie maker and reset it..
    Now it works..

Thanks BinaryR
    Sam
    Friday, July 03, 2009 2:29 PM
  • Thanks heaps NameNotGiven! It worked! I need WMP For my video editing.
    Sunday, July 05, 2009 3:11 AM
  • IT NOW WORKS.. i don't know what fixed it, i did lots of things on this forum page..  i have Toshiba, Microsoft windows vista home premium laptop..
    i did all this, and some didn't work, but i think it all added up when i finally got to M_diLLa's forum.. 
    first i got 
    "there is a more recent version of windows Media Player (11.0.6002.18005) already installed on you compute. it is not possible to use an older installation on your computer. it is not possible to use an older installation package (11.0.6001.7000) to install files or to repair your current version of the player."

as soon as i got that, WMPlayer would not open at all.. 
    so i got really frustrated

what i did was, which i think all this worked, or just M_dilla's, not sure...

i did what BinaryR posted.. Disable user account, and which it makes you reboot after you do that

then did what A_Suzy posted...  "start search" typed in REGEDIT, typed in Admin password.. open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE... then opened SOFTWARE - MICROSOFT - MEDIAPLAYER - SETUP - INSTALLED VERSIONS.. Then deleted "WMP.dll - WMPlayer.exe - and WMP.dll. i left the default there!... the closed Registry.. 

after all that still didn't work...

Came to this forum, M_diLLa's did what he posted, and now it works... so happy.. thank you!
    Tuesday, July 07, 2009 6:16 PM
  • loli888 darling you are a star. I had been facing the same problem with media player 11.06---- for the past few months on my 32 bit vista basic. Your answer has solved the problem almost instantly.
    I would reccomend this as a solution to everybody facing similar problems with media player 11.06---.

Thanks,

loli888. you r great. xoxoxoxo
    • Proposed as answer by emperor ashoka Tuesday, September 01, 2009 2:03 PM
    Tuesday, September 01, 2009 2:02 PM
  • loli888 darling you are a star. I had been facing the same problem with media player 11.06---- for the past few months on my 32 bit vista basic. Your answer has solved the problem almost instantly.
    I would reccomend this as a solution to everybody facing similar problems with media player 11.06---.

Thanks,

loli888. you r great. xoxoxoxo

this is the solution Ayesha.
    • Proposed as answer by emperor ashoka Tuesday, September 01, 2009 2:03 PM
    Tuesday, September 01, 2009 2:03 PM
  • thanks dude, Its worked for me.  =D
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 10:23 PM
  • Had the same issue- THIS WORKED!!! THANKS!!! EASY FIX!!!!
    Monday, October 26, 2009 7:53 PM
  • Hi, I am having exact same problem...........did you ever resolve your problem?
    Monday, October 26, 2009 11:25 PM
  • M DiLLa said:

This was my problem:

Fix:

1.  Click on Start (Orb), then All Programs , then Accessories .

2.  Right-click on Command Prompt .  Run as Administrator .  Click continue or enter password.

3.  Type the following: 

regsvr32 jscript.dll

regsvr32 vbscript.dll

4.  Type exit , then press enter.

5.  Start WMP.

6.  Done!

if it not work you can try his:

"XAG on the track said

Hi guys

I had the same issue and after looking a lot I have found a codec was corrupting libraries used by WM11.

First: exec cmd in administrator mode (run as administrator) regsvr32 /u mmswitch.ax bad codec in my case

Second: regsrv32 wmp.dll

Third:import this keys to register, you can do it saving it in a .reg file saving it with notepad:

REGEDIT4
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{CD3AFA71-B84F-48F0-9393-7EDC34128127}\ProgID] @="WMP11.AssocFile.WMZ"
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{CD3AFA72-B84F-48F0-9393-7EDC34128127}\ProgID] @="WMP11.AssocFile.AIFF"
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{CD3AFA73-B84F-48F0-9393-7EDC34128127}\ProgID] @="WMP11.AssocFile.AU"
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{CD3AFA74-B84F-48F0-9393-7EDC34128127}\ProgID] @="WMP11.AssocFile.MIDI"
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{CD3AFA76-B84F-48F0-9393-7EDC34128127}\ProgID] @="WMP11.AssocFile.MP3"
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{CD3AFA77-B84F-48F0-9393-7EDC34128127}\ProgID] @="WMP11.AssocFile.MP3"
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{CD3AFA78-B84F-48F0-9393-7EDC34128127}\ProgID] @="WMP11.AssocFile.M3U"
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{CD3AFA7B-B84F-48F0-9393-7EDC34128127}\ProgID] @="WMP11.AssocFile.WAV"
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{CD3AFA83-B84F-48F0-9393-7EDC34128127}\ProgID] @="WMP11.AssocFile.WAX"
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{CD3AFA84-B84F-48F0-9393-7EDC34128127}\ProgID] @="WMP11.AssocFile.WMA"
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{CD3AFA88-B84F-48F0-9393-7EDC34128127}\ProgID] @="WMP11.AssocFile.AVI"
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{CD3AFA89-B84F-48F0-9393-7EDC34128127}\ProgID] @="WMP11.AssocFile.MPEG"
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{CD3AFA8F-B84F-48F0-9393-7EDC34128127}\ProgID] @="WMP11.AssocFile.ASX"
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{CD3AFA90-B84F-48F0-9393-7EDC34128127}\ProgID] @="WMP11.AssocFile.ASX"
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{CD3AFA92-B84F-48F0-9393-7EDC34128127}\ProgID] @="WMP11.AssocFile.ASF"
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{CD3AFA93-B84F-48F0-9393-7EDC34128127}\ProgID] @="WMP11.AssocFile.ASX"
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{CD3AFA94-B84F-48F0-9393-7EDC34128127}\ProgID] @="WMP11.AssocFile.WMV"
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{CD3AFA95-B84F-48F0-9393-7EDC34128127}\ProgID] @="WMP11.AssocFile.WVX"
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{EE4DA6A4-8C52-4a63-BBB8-97C93D7E1B6C}\ProgID] @="WMP11.AssocFile.WMD"

Enter register and import file.

It works.

Solution by microsoft

P.S: don't intall codecs from 3rd partys, you don't know what are you installing

XAG

MCSA: messaging "

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 9:49 PM
  • Hi aayesha, (or any1 else who can help me for that matter)
    just wondering how do I download Anti Virus in safe mode? I suffered the same predicament but luckily i managed to salvage my WMP due to a successful system restore. I still need an anti virus but obviously I do not want to repeat the same dilemma, how do i get it in safe mode?
    email me if need be>> highrem@hotmail.com ...I tell u what....i'll give u a list of rare wholesale sites  if u help me out on this safe mode business. hope 2 hear from u soon stay healthy   :)
    Tuesday, November 03, 2009 5:51 PM
  • im having the same problem one minute mine worked next min nothing and ive tried updating and everything but nothing i wish Vista was never created its so useless. 
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 12:56 AM
  • i tried tht it didnt wrk

Thursday, January 14, 2010 12:57 AM
  • MCP "it643c"

Answer:::::: Complete reinstall of OS makes sure you backup first to external device and then wipe the drive, start the OS installation from scratch. While your at it do a complete format and make sure you have all installation disks with license number otherwise its gonna be ____ installing.

Reasoning if your curious !!!

Its not you its the registry one to many embedded hybrid hives gone perpetual, meaning programing has started in a complete loop !!!!! with the no end LOL................... i know it sucks i have seen this to many times with programs. It can be caused from different versions of software, search engines, viruses, registry cleaners, operating restorations.

I would suggest mcafee or AVG. Anyways no patch, registry cleanser, updates via the big poppa MS will make this problem go away. Your never going to get it to work unless you start over again !!!!! 

TRUST ME : ))))))

UNLESS you figure out step by step where the flaw occurred your never gonna know aayesha ? I am thinking i would perform all updates via MS including all MS applications or programs. Make sure you do all the updates including service packs and reboots.  Check your PC to see if it has a new restore point !!! Once you have got all that done try it again by installing Kapersky anti virus 7.

If your PC continues to do this, then spend the $150 towards MS Support and watch them refund you after a week of trying via the internet. MS cannot isolate the registry programing of Windows Media player so in-turn your stuck with this issue of waiting to see if windows media player will work or not. 

Anyways hope this helps...and good luck !!!!!!
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 5:58 AM
  • Hi did you ever get this problem resolved.  I am having the same problem and can't seem to find any help with it.

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 7:34 PM
  • Hi,

I have W7 Ultimate, fully updated. My Windows Media Player always worked properly until, one day, it only would if I run it as admin, weird.
    If i disable UAC then it will always work but of course i don't want UAC always disabled.

I checked recently intalled apps and uninstalled them.
    Tired of trying things, i decided to use my backup created with Acronis short after installing Windows. I knew this would force me to reinstall a lot of apps but i missed wmp, so i did it.

Gues what, my system is restored but wmp is not working!

I am getting used to VLC player and will probably not care about wmp anymore.

Best
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 8:14 AM
  • WMP seems to be causing problems with lots of folks lately, I posted my dilemma in another thread. Windows did a few updates of late and I'm starting to wonder if they are the cause of the recent problems. MS needs to release WMP 12 or at least let us reinstall WMP.

Here's my problem.

I can no longer set WMP as my default media player. Vista says that it is my current default player for all media it plays, but when ever I double click to play, say a mp3, I get the "Choose what program to open this file" screen. Selecting WMP works and WMP will play it, but Vista will not remember this. Changing the default to another program works, and Vista remembers, just not when its WMP related.

So far I have tried:
    Vista recovery - Only goes back 3 days, roughly when this problem started.
    Vista Install CD - Never had one, Toshiba gave me a disk that just reinstalls Toshiba related files.
    sfc /SCANNOW - Found no problems.
    UAC - Turned this off a long time ago.
    regsvr32 wmp.dll - Tryed a few times, noticed no change.
    Control Panel/Default Programs - WMP already default.

Anyone know why this is and how to fix it?
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 9:50 PM
  • Nice job "NameNotGiven". Such an easy solution and it worked for me.
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 8:07 AM
  • Note that none of the above fixes will work if Windows Media Player process is already running. Try this fix:

Hit CTRL-ALT-DEL

Choose "Start Task Manager"

Choose the "Processes" Tab

Under Image Name, find "wmplayer.exe" - if you click on "Image Name" it will sort alphabetically

Click on "wmplayer.exe" to highlight it.

Click End Process

Try starting Windows Media Player.

Sorry for the very basic instructions - some people need them.

I hope this helps!

Nice job "NameNotGiven". Such an easy solution and it worked for me.
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 8:11 AM
  • Hey,

I had the same problem. all you need to do is go to "my computer" then click on the HDD (hard-drive) then go to "windows" type in "windows media" in the search box, you'll then come to a folder saying ""x86_microsoft-windows-mediaplayer-core_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6002.18111_none_0d466cfd4c47389d" then open the file, then click on "wmpconfig". this should resolve the problem.

try opening a song or media file using WMP and it should be done. Walla! lol

hope this helps y'all

Thursday, May 06, 2010 3:43 PM
  • This might be basic to you but I'm grateful you wrote it down because it's what worked for me! Thanks.
    Monday, May 10, 2010 2:45 PM
  • Here's the only solution that worked for me. I found it on this thread - http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistanetworking/thread/73f06a94-97a2-46eb-ad30-65a7c2f97a9f

Re-register Windows Media Player components

==============================

1)    Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.

2)    At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

for %a in (%systemroot%\system32\wm*.dll) do regsvr32 /s %a

After the command finishes, please check if the Windows Media Player works again.

Thursday, July 08, 2010 3:38 PM
  • Thank you SOOOOOO much. I've been pratting about with this damn thing for months as its the ONLY MS program I actually like!

At least it's started working again and I've copied and saved your solution as I'm sure I'll need it again.

Saturday, July 10, 2010 11:39 AM
  • Thank yu so very much BinaryR ,i have been trying to get my wmp to work for several days now.. i did what yu said and so far  it is working great... ty again.. great advise.. greatly appreciated.. chatzy
    Friday, October 15, 2010 5:53 AM
  • thanx a million, it worked, i was going bonkers

Saturday, November 13, 2010 10:12 AM
  • Even modifying the registry did not work for me. The only solution that worked for me is deleting the windows media folder under %user%/AppData and restart computer. Not exactly what was wrong to being with but now its working in Chrome and Firefox(after installing the plugin for firefox) thou still not working in IE.
    Saturday, November 13, 2010 9:24 PM
  • Note:  This fix is for Windows Vista.  I am running 32-bit Vista.  Let me know if this works for the 64-bit and/or XP.

This was my problem:

Fix:

1.  Click on Start (Orb), then All Programs, then Accessories.

2.  Right-click on Command Prompt.  Run as Administrator.  Click continue or enter password.

3.  Type the following: 

regsvr32 jscript.dll

regsvr32 vbscript.dll

4.  Type exit, then press enter.

5.  Start WMP.

6.  Done!

Saturday, January 01, 2011 7:42 PM
  • To Name not given...

You are so right... lol i had to slap myself when i actually got it to open up...  Simple process!!!!

LMFAO!!!

Thank for the reminder!!!

Saturday, January 08, 2011 9:39 PM
  • worked like a charm......

i saw the post of d milla.....but i didn't notice the space after regsvr32

tried it again after u brought it to my notice...n voila...it works..thanks jamsey,thanks d milla.

Wednesday, March 09, 2011 11:21 AM
  • hi,
    i got vista home premium, and recently i installed kapersky anti-virus 7, then i uninstalled it the next day after a full system scan.  i knew that it would clash with the applications on the computer but i found that out the day after. i tried to use Windows Media Player 11, but it just didn't start.  i am unable to uninstall it because vista didn't provide that function.  i tried system restore to go back before i installed kapersky, but i didn't know that i had to do it in safe mode.  so i screwed that one up.
    i tried uninstalling and reinstalling the latest update that is provided for wmp11 but that didn't work either.  from what i can see neither the real player or flash player (internet) is working.

please, could someone come up with a solution.  i've searched the web, and no-one seems to have the answer.

i have the latest version of wmp11 which is 11.0.6000.6344

Thank you
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 11:33 PM
  • I have WMP 11 on Vista and didn't have video or sound. First check the following:

Windows Vista: Media Player version 11 configuration instructions

1. Open Windows Media Player: click Start then All Programs and select Windows Media Player.
    2. Click Tools and select Options.
    3. Click the Network tab and check the top boxes under Protocols for MMS URLs make sure the following is checked (RTSP/UDP, RTSP/TCP, HTTP) and Multicast Streams is checked for allow the player to receive multicast streams.
    4. In the section Streaming proxy settings, it should not be blank. It should have something like HTTP and RTSP as the protocols and under the PROXY column, it should be Browser for the HTTP and None for RTSP. If completely blank, then run the following at the command prompt: regsvr32 wmnetmgr.dll
    5. Click Apply then click OK.

Here's a link to more helpful info: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940029

• Proposed as answer by AnonymousDLUM Wednesday, April 20, 2011 7:51 PM
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 7:51 PM
  • Dear Friend,

I am using Vista -32bit with wmp 11.0.6000.6352, I have problem with working but rectify the same, please follow these steps:

downloD Window trouble shooting set up

Run the same and follow instruction

resolve the solution 

definitely this'll help ypu.

bye

Thursday, May 26, 2011 6:38 PM
  • I kept getting Windows Media Player Has stopped working for Vista (WMP 11.0.6002.18311)

I installed this program: Microsoft Fixit 50200

http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9657451

After many months of not having Winodws Media Player it works.

Hope this works for you guys.

• Proposed as answer by Eirini Wednesday, October 19, 2011 5:07 AM
    Thursday, August 04, 2011 2:02 PM
  • HI ALL, THIS IS THE SOLUTION AS PER PRICELESS GENESIS POST.

GO TO

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/843509

If that don't work try looking for

This troubleshooter: "Fix Windows Media Player video, and other media or library issues" may automatically fix your problem.

You will be asked to download Microsoft Fix It, it will pop up, just run it and follow instructions.  Fixed my media player on Vista after 3 days of stuffing around on the internet and system restores.  I noticed it started playing up after installing a new update for Skype.  Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but it might have. 

Good luck all, but I think I might have found the fix.

Devil Princess.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 5:13 AM
  • The reason Windows Media player is not running is because of real player isn't fully uninstalled or is conflicting with windows player. I uninstalled real player and media player works. When you wmv files in real player. solution is just unistall real player. it works for me. Real player is conflicting with media player by intentionally shutting down windows player or unintentionally. windows player is free and real player is not so go figure.

It's such and easy fix and i'm surprise nobody at microsoft or any A+ tech didn't give an answer.

Uninstally real player or unassociate windows media player from real player

real player needs to be completely removed including the registries and leftover files that isn't removed from the unistall in control panels. That is something microsoft needs to do is to have complete removal of software installed in windows.

I just unistalled real player.

reboot and voila. windows media now opens. Wow.

simple solution. and you 'genious' gave me a 2 page solution that doesn't work. or half baked solution.
    If the uninstall from windows doesn't work....you can use a free unistaller it's free to unistall completely the program as last resort. I used revo uninstaller at download.com/ This software been installed 4 million times and it should be in windows vista or windows 7. it completely removes the files that real player leaves in your computer with the uninstall program in windows..windows vista doesn't remove the registries or files leftover files from unistall. Use at own risk as the software is shareware. it works for me.

IMO, programs like real player have too much advertising thus so don't install DIVX player too.
    There is a reason real player and DIVX player is free. They have advertising and and screws up your other windows programs.

After I completely unistall real player and DIVX players, many of the windows crashing or windows media player not opening stopped. Simple solution. These two programs are crashing the windows player or windows security is preventing some execution or software conflicts.

I can't believe that many posts in the internet and all bad wrong answers.
    i posted as BABEWATCH at microsoft ...absolutely no support from microsoft and microsoft is making billiosn in profits....talk about corporate america. they don't care about the customer. the customer has to help themselves.

Sunday, October 23, 2011 7:55 AM
  • Now after rebooting and shutting down computer, the windows media is now no longer opening AGAIN.

So it's intermedittanly not working.

The problem started after installing DIVX player  and real player upgrades.

It's software conflict issue or some program has disabled windows media player from opening.

current status ===no solution

It's microsoft problem. i just wasted 1 hour of my time reading b.s. solutions like going to fix registries etc.

Microsoft has billions and lots of phd. programmers working for them, either they don't want to fix it or some virus or something installed.

Sunday, October 23, 2011 6:47 PM
  • Now after rebooting and shutting down computer, the windows media is now no longer opening AGAIN.

So it's intermedittanly not working.

The problem started after installing DIVX player and real player upgrades.

It's software conflict issue or some program has disabled windows media player from opening.

current status ===no solution

It's microsoft problem. i just wasted 1 hour of my time reading b.s. solutions like going to fix registries etc.

Microsoft has billions and lots of phd. programmers working for them, either they don't want to fix it or some virus or something installed.
    lots of spyware in real player, media player, DIVX palyer all adverising etc. all your videos you see is sent back to the server. no privacy corporate america GREED.

microsoft has no intention of fixing this BUG.
    I use free open source media viewers like VLC

http://vlcmediaplayerfreedownload.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_video_player_software

there are now companies who put viruses in your computer and charget you money to remove the virus scams going on.

these are free software and has no spyware or trojans or viruses that corporate versions..only microsoft would NOT fix a bug like this. microsoft has bilions of PROFITS and cannot afford to fix  simple bug like this. media player is essential part o the operating system and they want people to pay for it.? Corporate GREED is the reason for the bugs
    Sunday, October 23, 2011 6:59 PM
  • thanks a lot. this solution works for me. thanks a lot
    Monday, December 26, 2011 4:47 PM
  •  OMG!! THIS WORKED!!! THANKS SO MUCH...I COULD KISS YOU!!!
    Wednesday, March 07, 2012 2:50 PM
  • Thanks for help Max-Power. Worked for me too!
    Friday, March 09, 2012 9:25 PM
  • Try downloading Fixit from the following link. It will work.

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_media_player_diagnostic

<http://diagnostics.support.microsoft.com/diagprov/provision/MicrosoftFixit.WinMediaPlayer.RNP.234255519321769609.4.1.Run.exe?_tenant=mats&diagid=WinMediaPlayer&entrypointid=RNP&logsessionid=234255519321769609&eventseqno=4&buttonclickno=1&_ext=.exe>

Sunday, March 18, 2012 4:48 PM
  • Thanks for the post. This help. WMP opened for me.
    Saturday, February 16, 2013 3:49 PM